• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 3 - South Africa vs. Italy (04/10/2019)

The 'we're not beating them hard enough' moaning is really unavoidable isn't it?

This tweet just turned up in the ESPN commentary "Springboks making awfully hard work of breaking down a 14-man Italy. #RSAvITA". It was preceded by the Springboks scoring 22 points in 20 minutes.

Edit: The guy who tweeted is a professional journalist out in Japan. Kinell.
Every Tier 1 v minnow game seems.to have it.

England v Tonga
Ireland v Russia
Nz yesterday, SA today.

If those games were Leinster v Dragons, Saracens v London Irish or Crusaders v Sunwolves no one would really care, it's just that it's the world cup so every game needs to have a story and no matter how much you win by it'll never be enough in these games.

Lots of handling errors as usual (players need more baby oil)

Kolbe is the spark that lights up the Boks backline.

Should have been red for both props. Both picked up a leg and both drove the player head first into the ground

Is it possible for two players to both get red-carded for the same offence - I don't think I have ever seen that done before?

Faf is still crap. Willie is still crap. These 2 players are a massive problem.

Yip, Faf and Willie should only play off the bench from now on.

Is it possible for two players to both get red-carded for the same offence - I don't think I have ever seen that done before?
I think common practice is just to send off the worse offender which I think is fair enough, although I don't think either prop could have complained if theyd been sent off today.

I've seen two players from opposite teams carded for fights. Be interested to hear any examples of two people on the same team, I'm not sure it's possible.

Faf is still crap. Willie is still crap. These 2 players are a massive problem.

Kicking 5m from the try line needs to stop immediately. Discipline was poor in first half.

Kolbe was excellent, and is by far and away our best player. Bongi, Etsebeth and De Allende were excellent. PSDT had a bad game by his standards. Pollard needs to focus and stop looking to kick all the bloody time when we have advantage. When Jantjies comes on the speed is far superior to Faf. If the scrums weren't uncontested we would have blown them away even more, and I think it was deliberate by them to have uncontested scrums (A failed HIA for a shoulder stinger? Suuuuuure). Lineouts and Mauls were very good, and we basically dominated every facet of play.

Should have been 2 red cards, and that was the dumbest act of foul play I have seen since we played Samoa years ago.

There is still a lot to work on, but I will take it.

Drop le Roux for F Steyn (At least his fatness means your 15 is a false 8 and can bash hard) or Willemse, drop Faf for Jantjies and have Reinach cover, and I would still drop Mapimpi for Nkosi.
We just smashed a Six nations side yet you are still so negative? Be happy man this was a great performance and one we can be proud off. Fafs service was very fast when it needed to be and all the kicks are clearly a strategy by the coaches at this world cup to deal with the humidity. Dont be a Faf de Klerk hater. Dont be a hater at all. Appreciate this team, best Bok team in years.

We just smashed a Six nations side yet you are still so negative? Be happy man this was a great performance and one we can be proud off. Fafs service was very fast when it needed to be and all the kicks are clearly a strategy by the coaches at this world cup to deal with the humidity. Dont be a Faf de Klerk hater. Dont be a hater at all. Appreciate this team, best Bok team in years.

In 2018 de Klerk and Le Roux were our best 2 players. But this entire year, not one game, not 2 games, every single game, they have been consistently bad. I am not negative about our win, but it is frustrating to know we can be better if we just get rid of the last bit of slack this team has. Kicking is fine, but the execution of it is not, and this is where Faf is a big culprit. He has had so many chances to get back his brilliant form from last year but he just can't. I still maintain we have the best tight 5 in the tournament, and even our reserve tight 5 is among the best. But of the premier 9's and 15's at this tournament, ours are last on the list.

Where is Cobus Reinach? I thought he travelled with SA but haven't heard him mentioned at all.

Really rate him, don't understand why he hasn't had more game time.

I've seen two players from opposite teams carded for fights. Be interested to hear any examples of two people on the same team, I'm not sure it's possible.

There are examples and there's nothing in the laws that prohibit it. Fights have led to multiple players from both sides getting sent off.

Terrible quality but here's one

and this one

which has better quality video but much lower quality fighting...........

Where is Cobus Reinach? I thought he travelled with SA but haven't heard him mentioned at all.

Really rate him, don't understand why he hasn't had more game time.
Great player but currently third choice... a strong three in fairness.

There are examples and there's nothing in the laws that prohibit it. Fights have led to multiple players from both sides getting sent off.

Terrible quality but here's one

and this one

which has better quality video but much lower quality fighting...........

Guys you missed my earlier post I put a link from last year u20 six nations:

In the u20 six nations last year: https://twitter.com/greub1/status/972227820402470912
Both got a red card

What would've been the point in red carding both of them?

They already had their other props off for HIA (which i think was a tactic ahead of the game as they did the same thing when they beat us a few years ago) so no contested scrums. Removing one of our strongest attacking phases in the game.

The italians played very dirty and at times I got the feeling they wanted to hurt us more than play the game and didn't really want to play the game. Their fitness wasn't up to ours so they disrupted every chance they got.

I take heart in that we are improving with every game even though many of my countrymen doesn't seem to agree with that. Our confidence is growing, and now that we got this hurdle out of the way and pretty much assured a place in the quarters with only Canada left to play and a long rest week, we can improve even more.

But I get the feeling we are still holding back a bit. Like today we tried risky things we normally never try, and some worked, others didn't.

They already had their other props off for HIA (which i think was a tactic ahead of the game as they did the same thing when they beat us a few years ago) so no contested scrums. Removing one of our strongest attacking phases in the game.

The italians played very dirty and at times I got the feeling they wanted to hurt us more than play the game and didn't really want to play the game. Their fitness wasn't up to ours so they disrupted every chance they got.

I take heart in that we are improving with every game even though many of my countrymen doesn't seem to agree with that. Our confidence is growing, and now that we got this hurdle out of the way and pretty much assured a place in the quarters with only Canada left to play and a long rest week, we can improve even more.

But I get the feeling we are still holding back a bit. Like today we tried risky things we normally never try, and some worked, others didn't.

As to the first question. Because both players had arguably committed a red card offence. The point is to penalise the illegal action and act as deterrent to further foul play. If Vermeulen had been injured would you have been happy that only one player took the rap? Frankly I found it bizarre that Barnes only censured one of them. I imagine there will be a citing coming for the number 17.

In terms of the theory that Italy decided that not contested scrums were the way forward. I'll only concede this if Simone Ferrari plays again in the World Cup. On first inspection it appeared that he was injured (Hamstring) in a scrum in which the Boks continued driving after Barnes had blown up. You're also then implicating the Italian medical staff and coaches in faking / manipulating an HIA finding on Marco Riccioni. That kind of accusation shouldn't be made lightly. It's every bit as bad as blood capsules and O'Shea of all people would know the consequences of that.....

FWIW I thought you beat Italy in every facet of the game and comfortably too. But for all that there are still some bits that need improving. Faf's kicking radar is broken at the moment and Willie Le Roux is as liklely to cough up a try as to create one. That balance needs to be more in favour of the latter. In the plus column is pretty much your entire pack. The first choices are monstrous and their back-ups equally so. There's no respite for the oppo when changes are made.

It is possible but very unlikely, especially during a world cup where every game gets scrutinized and the citing commission can act after the game.
Game is already over and most importantly the one winning was getting the ruling that favoured them. It's easier, way easier to err on the side of 1 RC.

I'll play devil's advocate: Applying the rules.
If two players are involved, then two players should be red-carded.

Not exatly the same, i know (purists, look elsewhere) but this is a bit like two players punching you on each side of the face. You dont get red-carded for the knocked-down player. You get red-carded for the punches.

I did not think it would be quite as one-sided. The red card was very much deserved. As good as SA are i do not think they can go all the way.

Uncontested scrums was genius. Just like the uncontested restarts Allan was being asked to kick, or the uncontested winger running against Campagnaro. What about the uncontested idiocy of the props, or the uncontested gainline by the ramshackle arrangement of out of position backs?

It all led to an uncontested fixture masterminded by the uncontested single worst Tier1 coach in the business.

What a Crock Of S served up by COS.

Uncontested scrums was genius. Just like the uncontested restarts Allan was being asked to kick, or the uncontested winger running against Campagnaro. What about the uncontested idiocy of the props, or the uncontested gainline by the ramshackle arrangement of out of position backs?

It all led to an uncontested fixture masterminded by the uncontested single worst Tier1 coach in the business.

Who's gonna be the next coach Bruce?

Oof. I felt this post from here.

Latest posts