• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 4 - New Zealand vs. Italy (12/10/2019) *MATCH CANCELLED DUE TO BAD WEATHER*

If both sides finished on equal points Italy would go through, because the first tiebreaker is head-to-head.

No one is really saying that Italy beating the all blacks is likely, it's just that NZ were asked if they felt like playing and they said no.

If NZ had lost against SA and needed this game to go ahead, it would have. That's shite.

****. For about the zillionth time I get the tie-breaker rules wrong. Okay, I have more sympathy for Italy then and shouldnt let my hostility towards how hapless they were cloud my judgement.

****. For about the zillionth time I get the tie-breaker rules wrong. Okay, I have more sympathy for Italy then and shouldnt let my hostility towards how hapless they were cloud my judgement.
I get your frustrations bruce, to my knowledge Italy have never pulled out a performance at a World Cup, which is incredible when you consider the results Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Argentina and Japan have had over the years. All they have ever done is beat who they should and lose to who they should as far as I can remember.

No one is really saying that Italy beating the all blacks is likely, it's just that NZ were asked if they felt like playing and they said no.
And if that rumour is true (it's certainly plausible), NZ should have forfeit the match with the record showing 28-0 loss, with Italy scoring 4 penalty tries.

I suspect that they would have changed their minds in that situation, and suddenly decided that a 5 day run-around isn't so bad after all.
I know of no other situation in sport where competitors get to veto their own match if they don't feel like playing.
If a tennis player has to play a QF and SF in one day, they suck it up and do their best (or forfeit). If a grand Prix driver has to qualify and race on the same day - so be it.

wow italy undefeated to the ABs . best result they ever wouldve gotten.

If both sides finished on equal points Italy would go through, because the first tiebreaker is head-to-head.

If NZ had lost against SA and needed this game to go ahead, it would have. That's shite.
And if that rumour is true (it's certainly plausible), NZ should have forfeit the match with the record showing 28-0 loss, with Italy scoring 4 penalty tries.

I suspect that they would have changed their minds in that situation, and suddenly decided that a 5 day run-around isn't so bad after all.
I know of no other situation in sport where competitors get to veto their own match if they don't feel like playing.
If a tennis player has to play a QF and SF in one day, they suck it up and do their best (or forfeit). If a grand Prix driver has to qualify and race on the same day - so be it.

World rugby came out about an hour after that rumor started going around to say it was not true, they made it quite clear NZ nor Italy had no say in playing or not

just more conspiracy theories form the tin foil hat people

Last edited:
People want to believe those rumours so much it's embarrassing. Those big bad All Blacks get to do whatever that want and it's not fair!

People want to believe those rumours so much it's embarrassing. Those big bad All Blacks get to do whatever that want and it's not fair!
So much so, that I can only recall 1 poster taking them as fact, rather than tempering with things like "if true"

Latest posts