Discussion in 'Rugby World Cup 2019' started by TRF_heineken, Oct 6, 2019.
Venue: Kobe Misake Stadium
Time: 12:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)
15. Damian Willemse (DHL Stormers) 5 caps – 0 points
14. Warrick Gelant (Vodacom Bulls), 8 caps - 10 (2t)
13. Damian de Allende (DHL Stormers), 43 - 20 (4t)
12. Frans Steyn (Montpellier, France), 63 - 136 (10t, 7c, 21p, 3d)
11. Sbu Nkosi (Cell C Sharks) 9 - 35 (7t), 9 – 35 (7t)
10. Elton Jantjies (Emirates Lions), 36 – 265 (2t, 54c, 49p)
9. Cobus Reinach (Northampton, England), 13 - 15 (3t)
8. Francois Louw (Bath, England), 72 - 50 (10t)
7. Kwagga Smith (Emirates Lions), 5 - 0
6. Siya Kolisi (captain, DHL Stormers), 46 - 30 (6t)
5. Franco Mostert (Gloucester, England), 35 - 5 (1t)
4. RG Snyman (Vodacom Bulls), 19 – 5 (1t)
3. Vincent Koch (Saracens, England), 17 - 0
2. Schalk Brits (Vodacom Bulls), 14 - 10 (2t)
1. Thomas du Toit (Cell C Sharks), 11 – 0
16. Malcolm Marx (Emirates Lions), 29 – 25 (5t)
17. Steven Kitshoff (DHL Stormers), 43 - 5 (1t)
18. Frans Malherbe (DHL Stormers), 34 – 0
19. Eben Etzebeth (DHL Stormers), 82 - 15 (3t)
20. Pieter-Steph du Toit (DHL Stormers), 52 – 25 (5t)
21. Herschel Jantjies (DHL Stormers), 7 - 20 (4t)
22. Handre Pollard (Vodacom Bulls) 44 – 410 (6t, 70c 76p, 4d)
23. Willie le Roux (Toyota Verblitz, Japan), 58 – 60 (12t)
Yay! Boks try someone other than the very ordinary DDA at 12.
Oh, who is that at 13? *facepalm*
I had been thinking about DDA at 13. Strong ball carrier with limited distribution. I think it's suit him better. He'll look like a world beater against Canada. Multiple coaches really rate him so I must just be missing something.
He's just a decent one dimensional basher with no brain, to his credit he also knows how to offload but only after he's had a run (he seldom passes before he's had a go).
To be fair in the modern game with rush defenses what they are its ok just to have your 12 bash it up first phase, generally when we have earned space wide Willie le Roux will join the line to distribute at first or second receiver.
Hes also benefitting from a lack of competition in the spot.
I think DDA is picked because he always makes hard yards, this pushes the defensive line back and puts them on the backfoot and gives the next attacking run momentum.
The fact that we can put together a 2nd team this strong speaks volumes about what Rassie has done after the farce that was AC. Looking forward to it. Gelant is way too slow for a winger but at least it means Willemse starts at 15. Hoping him and Reinach have absolute blinders.
What many people are forgetting is DDA is our backline's defensive coordinator. And he's the one making the calls for our defensive line. And here he's doing a stellar job.
But South Africa has a tendency to have a one-trick pony with regard to attack when it comes to 12. Remember Wynand Olivier??
I accidentally picked Canada by 59 on Superbru... What are the chances of a Canadian upset here LOL!? Our B team doesn't look half bad. Oh well..
Our options at 12 are all very similar and could all easily play on the side of the scrum between DDA, RJvR, Frans Steyn and Andre Esterhuizen. That's just the current trend in SA rugby I suppose. Of the lot I probs prefer DDA TBH.
Glad to see Nkosi at 11 and Willemse seeing game time.
Excited for Brits, Reinach and Damian Willemse, they are all players who genuinely deserve a chance to be in the starting 23.
Gelant at wing is a stupid idea but I think it's more of a contingency than anything in-case of a Kolbe injury (touch wood).
I like Nkosi in the side if we are going to play our current game plan (lots of up and under's and box kicks).
Kolbe is fine, he said as much after the game. I think he’s our marquee player like Pollard, and limiting his game time ahead of the qf is the right call.
I know but there have been one or two scares, so maybe Rassie is paranoid and trying out some alternatives should the worse happen.
Please don't remind us of Wynand Olivier !!!!! XD #darktimes
I hope to God the Canadian 6 makes use of probably the best name in international rugby...... If I were he and were lucky enough to be embarking on a romantic liaison I'd be sure to have this recorded and ready for use.
Like everybody else, excited to see how Nkosi goes on the left wing. I hope he has a belter because I do believe he is a better all round player than Mapimpi. I do like the strength and finishing that Mapimpi brings to our game but Nkosi brings that as well and then some. Granted it's Canada so even a top notch performance will need to be taken with a pinch of salt.
I'm liking the look of the Steyn-DDA centre combo. From what I've seen DDA is equally as comfortable at 12 and 13.
I hope Reinach gets a good run to give Faf more competition. Hopefully if his starting spot is on the line he'll wake up.
Yeah, DDA will be fine at 13. 1) I don't expect Canada will have the nous to exploit him and 2) he made his break out for the Stormers playing primarily more wide (outside center and wing).
On that I hope he plays more like he did back when he made his break out. He looked for space and the keeping play alive more than looking for contact and hard yards. His bulk was more bonus than bread and butter back then.
Sure there was a knock on when the South Africans formed the ruck in front of the posts. Ah well, doubt it would have made a huge difference.
This is going to be an absolute murder. Strong lines from SA and well executed. The Canucks are Cannotnucks here.
Looking like it's gonna be the highest score of the tournament here, almost 2pts a minute so far
Fantastic from Reinach. Canadian tackling is so poor. This could be very bad for them.
Separate names with a comma.