• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 4 - South Africa vs. Canada (08/10/2019)

I think this is pretty interesting.

South Africa arrived first in Japan, long before anyone else, and played the hosts in a friendly. Now they are the first team to finish their pool matches. And they have a nice break before the QF's.

Things are working out nicely. They may go far yet...

Last edited:
I've not seen the the game but if SA did take their foot of the gas in the 2nd half, you can't blame them. Bonus point achieved and more points don't really gain them anything group wise.

NZ need to score atleast 28 points against Italy to overtake the boks for most points scored during the 2019 World Cup in the group stages

As it stands
1- SA 185
2- NZ 157
3- ENG 119
4- Aus 109
5 - Italy 98
6- Fiji - 93
7- Japan 87

NZ has to score 5 or more tries against Italy to overtake SA for most tries while ENG need to score 11 in their last group game.

We are in a good space at least. We are used to the conditions now, and players are settled, A or B team, and we have a nice gap until the QF. I fancy us against Ireland or Japan quite honestly. So, assuming Ireland finish 2nd in their pool, it could look like this:

Nz vs Ire
SA vs Japan
Aus vs Eng
Wales vs France

That means we cannot play NZ, Aus or England unless it's in the final. Everything seems to be working out for us in this tournament, just like it did in 2007........

Damn that second half was a bit of as we say in afrikaans "Gechommel".

We took out foot off the gas, tried a few things and got through the game without injuries. I say mission accomplished. Plus I got a margin point on Superbru.

Reinach, Snyman, Brits and Steyn was for me the best players on the pitch. There were a few decent performances by others too.

Just happy this game is done and all the guys got through it unscathed.

Now our guys have a good long rest while they wait to see who they gonna play in the QF's.

At half-time i was thinking, 100. Thankfully it levelled out a wee bit in the 2nd half.

To be sure, Canada may be the weakest in pool B, but honestly
I was surprised at the intensity of the 2nd team of SA at the Kobe stadium.
In my opinion, Japan and SA will meet at the quarter final.
SA will not make light of Japan again , so it is very difficult for us to go through to semi final.

Why isn't brits a serious contender for the match day 23 in the knockout stages?

I know he's only played the minnows but he's a class act on the field, doesn't seem to put a foot wrong?

Minnow teams have not done themselves any favours this WC with the foul play and the subsequent red cards

True. I wonder why. Is it that their coaches haven't prepared them as well as the bigger nations, or is it that they're playing week in, week out in leagues that are like the wild west? I remember when the whole HIA thing came around, I asked a few proponents how this would help the 99%+ of rugby players who don't play professionally and get some very defensive replies about some sort of trickle down effect. I wonder if history is repeating itself here with head contact.

Why isn't brits a serious contender for the match day 23 in the knockout stages?

I know he's only played the minnows but he's a class act on the field, doesn't seem to put a foot wrong?

I think a few guys put their hands up to be considered:

Damian Willemse > Willie le Roux
RG Snyman > Eben Etzebeth
Schalk Brits > Malcolm Marx
Vincent Koch > Frans Malherbe
Cobus Reinach > Faf de Klerk

I think a few guys put their hands up to be considered:

Damian Willemse > Willie le Roux
RG Snyman > Eben Etzebeth
Schalk Brits > Malcolm Marx
Vincent Koch > Frans Malherbe
Cobus Reinach > Faf de Klerk

I think Snyman may make the starting line up.
I also think that Rienach and Willemse may make the bench.

Rassie really needs to make the hard choice and drop Faf de Klerk, he's been out of form for a while and hasn't delivered in green and gold for a while.
Anyone who watches the premiership could have told us this unfortunately.

Reinach's running game was obviously great but more importantly his box kicks were all fairly spot on, just far enough to be contestable. Faf has gotten about 40% of those right in recent games and their are vital to our game plan.

Wonder if anyone has the time to check how much the top teams took the foot of the pedal/relaxed or what ever in the second half.
Compare first half to second half scoring.
Or could it be a case of fatigue in the humid conditions?
Not sure what or why, but a clear trend is noticed

Wonder if anyone has the time to check how much the top teams took the foot of the pedal/relaxed or what ever in the second half.
Compare first half to second half scoring.
Or could it be a case of fatigue in the humid conditions?
Not sure what or why, but a clear trend is noticed

Definitely think conditions have played a part. With the humidity as it is, if you don't need to push then don't.

What I like about Reinach (and Jantjies) is the supporting running. How many opportunities did we have against the ABs but there just wasn't anyone running a supporting line.

RG Snyman also a huge shout.

Latest posts