• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool C] Round 1 - France vs. Argentina (21/09/2019)

penaud (too lazy to look up how to spell his name) was brilliant. even came in to the line to throw some excellent leftward passes.
Argentina were probably lucky that the french couldn't work gardner out at the scrum.
massive error by de la fuente when a certiain try was available.
interesting hwo france managed to take advantage of argentinas defensive structure better than any of the rugby championship teams could. Argentina might want to consider having their wings come up in defence (with the fullback and other wing shifting) when the opposition has front foot ball. hanging them back can be useful for cover deence and protecting against kicks but odds are they get exposed on teh outside when the oppostiion has fornt foot ball hence the rush defence is startign on the back foot. France did well to recycle quickly and get teh ball otu quickly to take those opportunities though.

How was it not a penalty at the end there... Argentina still had to kick it but that was quite clearly not rolling away.
i can tell you how. because cubelli tried to milk it. kinda serves him right, but it should have been a penalty against either the french or against him; i guess tehy cancel out. If he didn't try and milk it it would have been a penalty for sure.

there was a lot of **** going on in this game, but that final ruck the French player clearly blocked the halfback and allowed a team mate to come in and get a turnover. That's a clear penalty in an easy spot. I think Angus gardener is a good ref but that is an absolute howler of a miss.
Pretty brutal encounter but it was expected considering this was almost straight up playing for a quarter final spot on day one. Amazing comeback from the Pumas, they can rightly feel hard done by with that final play. That passage around the french drop kick was pretty impressive.

interesting hwo france managed to take advantage of argentinas defensive structure better than any of the rugby championship teams could. Argentina might want to consider having their wings come up in defence (with the fullback and other wing shifting) when the opposition has front foot ball. hanging them back can be useful for cover deence and protecting against kicks but odds are they get exposed on teh outside when the oppostiion has fornt foot ball hence the rush defence is startign on the back foot. France did well to recycle quickly and get teh ball otu quickly to take those opportunities though.
I dont think that was our problem. It wasn't about tactics or positioning. From min 7 till min 40 we established some no-tackle zones and allowed the french to do as they pleased. We just weren't focused when we stepped into the pitch. Sad but true.
Ledesma said it better (paraphrasing): "you can have the best defensive system but if your guys miss tackles, particualy the last ones, there's no system that will hold."
I think he is spot on.

Cubelli threw two intercepts. Two, as a scrum half. Sure, picamoles was off side, but i expect a sh to spot that.

BTW, Moroni has been issued a citing warning for hair pulling.

I dont think that was our problem. It wasn't about tactics or positioning. From min 7 till min 40 we established some no-tackle zones and allowed the french to do as they pleased. We just weren't focused when we stepped into the pitch. Sad but true.
Ledesma said it better (paraphrasing): "you can have the best defensive system but if your guys miss tackles, particualy the last ones, there's no system that will hold."
I think he is spot on.

Cubelli threw two intercepts. Two, as a scrum half. Sure, picamoles was off side, but i expect a sh to spot that.

BTW, Moroni has been issued a citing warning for hair pulling.
please elaborate, what and where were these zones?
i thought cubelli passed deliberately to picamoles thinking he'd get awarded the penalty.

please elaborate, what and where were these zones?
halfbacks and the back 3 (and whoever was there covering with them) were all poor in defence.

From min 8- till 40, whenever french 11-12-13-14-15 got the ball they went past 3-4 Argentines (not from fixed formations tho). That is just unacceptable.
Matera almost broke an ankle due to Vakatawa's feint in one of the tries. 99% of the times that play would have ended with the french 12 on his arse and Matera on top of him.
Watch that play again. Moroni would have stopped Fickou 9 out of 10 times. He is very good defensively.

And don't even get me started on Boffelli. But this is nothing new. He is always late, running from behind or victim of a sidestep.
He is good offensively, kicking and on the high ball, but defensively i rate him as a liability.

i thought cubelli passed deliberately to picamoles thinking he'd get awarded the penalty.
could be but i doubt it. I'm speculating, but i think he would have reacted differently. I dont think he saw him.

halfbacks and the back 3 (and whoever was there covering with them) were all poor in defence.

From min 8- till 40, whenever french 11-12-13-14-15 got the ball they went past 3-4 Argentines (not from fixed formations tho). That is just unacceptable.
Matera almost broke an ankle due to Vakatawa's feint in one of the tries. 99% of the times that play would have ended with the french 12 on his arse and Matera on top of him.
Watch that play again. Moroni would have stopped Fickou 9 out of 10 times. He is very good defensively.

And don't even get me started on Boffelli. But this is nothing new. He is always late, running from behind or victim of a sidestep.
He is good offensively, kicking and on the high ball, but defensively i rate him as a liability.

could be but i doubt it. I'm speculating, but i think he would have reacted differently. I dont think he saw him.
Feeling the pressure of expectation? In 2007 they were criminally underrated and I think that helped them.

Argentina winger Matías Moroni has been issued with a Citing Commissioner Warning (CCW) by Citing Commissioner Murray Whyte (Ireland) for an act of foul play contrary to Law 9.27 (hair pulling) at the end of Argentina's Rugby World Cup 2019 match against France on 21 September, 2019.

The CCW will remain on the player's record to be dealt with in the event that the player accumulates three yellow cards and/or Citing Commissioner Warnings during the tournament.
https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/477297

Matías Moroni is taken by the neck by Louis Picamoles at the end of the game.
The he applied a punch to Picamoles, and started a fight between players of both teams for which he received a slight penalty from the Appointments Commissioner Murray Whyte.

3104124w740.jpg

uDEMU6Vuz_1256x620__1.jpg

3104123w1033.jpg

Anyone noticed the Argentinians were past the 15m line in the lineout for their first try. Isn't this foul play?

lineout.JPG

France won, no need to get testy about those kind of decisions.

I'm genuinely curious about this. Is it something that's generally disregarded?
I've seen the 5m line rule called a few times but never the 15m line.
Seems quite easy to pick up unlike many other situations on the field

I'm genuinely curious about this. Is it something that's generally disregarded?
I've seen the 5m line rule called a few times but never the 15m line.
Seems quite easy to pick up unlike many other situations on the field

Tbh the lineout seems to be the least enforced area at the moment. Players closing the gap, throws not straight. Bit of a mess tbh.

Latest posts