• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool C] Round 2 - England vs. USA (26/09/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

dEc1PIg.png
j7lEIMe.png
Rn6kOPF.png

Venue: Kobe Misaki Stadium
Time: 12:45 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

STARTERS

1. David Ainuu Prop Toulouse 8
2. Joe Taufete'e Hooker Worcester Warriors 23
3. ***i Lamositele Prop Saracens 28
4. Ben Landry Lock Ealing Trailfinders 22
5. Nick Civetta Lock Unattached 23
6. Tony Lamborn Flanker Melbourne Rebels (AUS)
Hawke's Bay Magpies (NZL) 19
7. John Quill Flanker Rugby United New York 36
8. Cam Dolan No, 8 NOLA Gold 47

9. Shaun Davies Scrumhalf Glendale Raptors 25
10. Aj MacGinty Flyhalf Sale Sharks 24
11. Martin Iosefo Wing USA Sevens 6
12. Paul Lasike Center Harlequins 16
13. Marcel Brache Center Western Force 19
14. Blaine Scully (C) Wing Unattached 50
15. Will Hooley Fullback Bedford Blues 12

RESERVES

16. Dylan Fawsitt Reserve Rugby United New York 12
17. Olive Kilifi Reserve Seattle Seawolves 27
18. Paul Mullen Reserve Unattached 14
19. Greg Peterson Reserve Newcastle Falcons 26
20. Hanco Germishuys Reserve Glendale Raptors 17
21. Ruben de Haas Reserve Free State Cheetahs 13
22. Bryce Campbell Reserve London Irish 28
23. Mike Te'o Reserve San Diego Legion 24

I think if Mako and Nowell are available they'll play, although probably off the bench. I seem to remember reading that they were targeting the Argentina game for them, though?

I don't think we'll see changes to the starting lineup, except maybe trying Ford-Faz-JJ or Faz-Manu-Slade (I'd vastly prefer the former). Bench will probably change around; with Wilson and Big Joe back from injury I'd imagine they'll be there.

When you've got to pick 23 people from 31 where two are injured, Singleton is third choice hooker, McConnochie is fourth/fifth choice winger, and Francis is competing with Faz and Manu for a spot... there's not a huge amount of wiggle room!

Think we'll see Ford start with Faz rested, if I'm honest. Slade to the centers.

Launch and Kruis in the 2bd row (I think after yesterday I'd prefer Kruis in the starting 15 as opposed to Itoje and Lawes).

Looking at who came off when, I'm thinking:
1. Genge
2. LCD
3. Cole
4. Launchbury
5. Kruis
6. Ludlum
7. Underhill
8. Wilson*

9. Heinz
10. Ford
11. McConnochie
12. Francis
13. Joseph
14. Cokanasiga
15. Daly/Watson

16. Singleton; 17. MVunipola*; 18.Sinckler; 19. Itoje; 20. BVunipola
21. Youngs; 22. Farrell; 23. Slade*

Unless he's looking at McConnochie as a FB option - in which case start him there, with Nowell on the wing

Kobe City Misaki Park Stadium has a retractable roof? So I presume both side have to agree to have it closed? Weather forecast looks warm and dry.

Looking at who came off when, I'm thinking:
1. Genge
2. LCD
3. Cole
4. Launchbury
5. Kruis
6. Ludlum
7. Underhill
8. Wilson*

9. Heinz
10. Ford
11. McConnochie
12. Francis
13. Joseph
14. Cokanasiga
15. Daly/Watson

16. Singleton; 17. MVunipola*; 18.Sinckler; 19. Itoje; 20. BVunipola
21. Youngs; 22. Farrell; 23. Slade*

Unless he's looking at McConnochie as a FB option - in which case start him there, with Nowell on the wing

Was thinking pretty much exactly that for the starting XV. We've got to mix it up a bit as we should do when the opposition is drawn from the might of Ealing, Bedford, Glendale, Unattached....and Sale.

I don't think there's much point in switching Youngs and Heinz, seems like the plan is to use Youngs' kicking game early and then use Heinz when it switches to firing runners at them at the end. Giving them equal game time probably isn't worth messing with the structure over.

I think they really will have Billy V play 80 minutes of every game and I kinda hope I'm wrong there.

Farrell will probably not miss a game. If they play Francis and I expect they will it will probably be Ford out of the 23.

Who captains if Faz rests?

I think Faz rests this one, think you do that with first choice starters with an adequate backup due to turaround.

Ford captained the last time Faz rested against so I assume he'll captain.

Yeah - I think that's pretty likely. Farrell was always likely to start in the opening game for PR value.

Don't underestimate this USA team! Yes, England should beat them even with their second side but the USA have improved a lot over the past 4 years. Strong forwards with good reserve options in Germishuys and Mullen, and then you have a player like De Haas who will come on and offer so much more than Davies (he's just so slow!). So long as MacGinty is in at 10, the USA will be competitive - he makes them tick and he is a really good 10 as I'm sure the Sale fans here will confirm. England should be looking to take him out of the game every opportunity they get. Cokanasiga, assuming he starts, will be a real handful for Iosefo who is not very experienced in the 15s side of the game. Lasike and Brache should be solid through the centre and Scully will be Scully. Hooley is a decent enough player, Mike Te'o is a great option off the bench for him if things aren't working out. A lot of these guys could end up with contracts in Europe should they have a good tournament.

England by 18.

We should be looking to win by more than 18.

As Welshdragon2000 has said, MacGinty is a good fly half and if we give away penalties in our half, he'll most likely punish us.

Lasike is a threat in he centre, but more in the sense that he's a big, physical lump who doesn't have the best technique in the tackle. He worries me as a potential source of dangerous tackling with a high possibility of injuring people than anything else. And that's as a Quins fan.

Scots got pipped by the USA in June didn't they? With a largely reserve team but still one that had Hogg and half a dozen more who're in the world cup squad. A long way from the sides just making up the numbers like Namibia or Russia.

I'd like us to be more disciplined and more accurate, in which case the tries will come.

Bookies reckon England by 33.

Latest posts