• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool C] Round 4 - England vs. France (12/10/2019) *MATCH CANCELLED DUE TO BAD WEATHER*

South African news reports haven't stated anything about any game being called off yet.

Only article i've seen so far is a twitter link about a press conference being held on Thursday to discuss the matter of the typhoon.

Some media outlets jumping the gun again...

How would the england fans feel if the reports are true and it's been called off? Glad that you don't have to play a potentially tough game v's an erratic French side? Happy that your players can rest and start preparing for the 1/4 final clash v Aus?

Or are you slightly worried that due to the early red card for Arg that you haven't really been tested prior to a big knockout clash?

I think we need another game fairly desperately to be honest.

I was in Florida two years ago when Hurricane Irma hit and the news prior to the hurricane making landfall was 24/7 tracking its every movement. Supermarkets were stripped of their food and everywhere started shutting down, including Disney world and Universal. When it did hit I thought the roof of the hotel I was in was going to come off. After mouth of the hurricane was roads flooded and no electricity for 24 hours; every where was shut and no where to go apart from being holed up in the hotel.

so yeah don't envy the organisers, but they've got to take the cautious approach for the fans and players etc. Would be great if they can move both games to a venue not affected by the Typhoon.

As long as it doesn't affect the knockout stages. Sorry Scotland if you don't make it. We'll rename the Typhoon Typhoon Joubert :Dif the game is cancelled.

Ahead of the official announcement BBC reporting that the match is definitely off.

Shame all round, especially for the paying fans. Only plus side is that the team will be rested and fit for QF, but that's not really the point.

I would have preferred the game to go ahead in some form. You can only win by beating the best and I do feel England haven't been pushed at all. Definitely not ideal preparation for knockout stages, especially with England's mentality still being questionable.

Also seems like fans have lost out to stakeholders whose interest is money as I assume that's the main reason not to move it.

If this game doesnt go ahead wouldnt it slightly tarnish the winners? Especially if England or France win it as their group wasnt decided properly and could of faced different teams leading up to the final? this stretches to the other groups who may be affected by this weather as well.

If this game doesnt go ahead wouldnt it slightly tarnish the winners? Especially if England or France win it as their group wasnt decided properly and could of faced different teams leading up to the final? this stretches to the other groups who may be affected by this weather as well.

I would say no. Ultimately you have to win against teams who have beaten the others, so if either side went onto win they will still have to beat some combination of the eight quarter finalists. Now if for example Japan or possibly Ireland (if they have their match cancelled too, though personally I would assume they get the BP against Samoa and would definitely qualify in 1st or 2nd anyway) go on to win the cup after the match is cancelled then you could claim they possibly shouldn't have been there if the match had been played. However it's all extremely hypothetical.

Yeah... Unless Ireland win it because it's clear we're getting ****** over the most.

I would say no. Ultimately you have to win against teams who have beaten the others, so if either side went onto win they will still have to beat some combination of the eight quarter finalists. Now if for example Japan or possibly Ireland (if they have their match cancelled too, though personally I would assume they get the BP against Samoa and would definitely qualify in 1st or 2nd anyway) go on to win the cup after the match is cancelled then you could claim they possibly shouldn't have been there if the match had been played. However it's all extremely hypothetical.
The problem is that this has never happened in history of a world cup so it will remain hypothetical for years to come..

It will be like esha ness the horse that never won the Grand National but actually did and then didnt!

Im sure if Wales win it will be tarnished for years to come , If NZ lift it then its like they were winning it anyway even if they had buys to the final hehe!

You had garces yet?
Just as an assistant ref, to the lad who got stood down!

In all seriousness, I almost feel bad if a team that benefits from the weather (and I'm talking the three directly affected as well as South Africa who are indirectly affected) wins this tournament because you just know that loads of people will discredit it and say they didn't deserve it.... And I will be one of those people!

And in an actually serious post this time, this would be a massive mark against the Japan world cup for me, if it had any chance of being the best RWC ever, it'd be gone in one or two cancelled matches.

Im sure if Wales win it will be tarnished for years to come , If NZ lift it then its like they were winning it anyway even if they had buys to the final hehe!

Ah ok, I see what you mean. So whoever wins it because we will never know if the correct 8 teams were in the QF's. Honestly I think if it was one of S.A, NZ, Eng, Wal, Ire and possibly Aus missing out then maybe. However neither Japan or Scotland will win. Scotland are far too inconsistent and their forwards aren't good enough to go all the way. Japan have improved remarkably and I hope they might be considered tier 1 after this, but again they don't have the experience or strength across the field to compete all the way. You will get some people saying it no matter what, but I think most people would admit that either of Japan or Scotland winning is likely.

Also ultimately I can guarantee you the team that wins it won't care one bit.

I am just assuming that England and France squads will be fresher with more recovery time heading into the quarters since it has been cancelled.

Just as an assistant ref, to the lad who got stood down!

In all seriousness, I almost feel bad if a team that benefits from the weather (and I'm talking the three directly affected as well as South Africa who are indirectly affected) wins this tournament because you just know that loads of people will discredit it and say they didn't deserve it.... And I will be one of those people!

And in an actually serious post this time, this would be a massive mark against the Japan world cup for me, if it had any chance of being the best RWC ever, it'd be gone in one or two cancelled matches.

it's shaping up to be the worst world cup ever, it already is close to that for me with the stupid amount of carding going on.

Game has been called off

Sucks to lose a game to test the squad with, but helps with keeping the team fit and healthy for the Australia match

Game has been called off

Sucks to lose a game to test the squad with, but helps with keeping the team fit and healthy for the Australia match
I'm kind of hoping the Wallabies will be coming in battle hardened after Fiji and Wales with England being somewhat undergone. Doubt it though.

Latest posts