• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool D] Round 1 - Australia vs. Fiji (21/09/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

SxGOCQa.png
j7lEIMe.png
TwpWKBb.png

Venue: Sapporo Dome
Time: 06:45 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

I'll probably manage this one seeing as its early on a Sat morning for us here in SA.

Some good match ups this week. I have SA vs NZ as the game of the round but this one as well as Ire vs Sco and Fra vs Arg have me excited.

Hoping for an upset here. Fiji is probably everyone's second team, right?

I'll probably manage this one seeing as its early on a Sat morning for us here in SA.

Some good match ups this week. I have SA vs NZ as the game of the round but this one as well as Ire vs Sco and Fra vs Arg have me excited.

Would be a cracking start to the World Cup wouldn't it. Not sure I'll get up for this one given 2 big games in the trot straight after it, might watch it in bed drifting in and out of sleep though

Nope, Japan is

I've been watching the clips on SS about the Boks in Japan, and the country has been showing what a lot of nations have forgotten or misplaced.

Can't be any other team. They are making the rugby world proud, and the tournament hasn't even begun.

mine yes!!

Won't be an upset. Straya is fragile as all hell but the Islands are just not what they used to be.

Still haven't decided whether I'll get up to watch this.

Of all the potential Tier 2v1 upsets this is one of the ones I have less of a problem believing could actually happen. Probably won't but Australia have their problems and Fiji are a genuinely decent team beyond the generic island cliches and their results against Tier 1 teams recently have been decent.

Would still strongly back Australia to win by more than a score but can see it being competitive for a decent amount of the game.

well im hoping my team could beat the wallabies and then wales, then never mind we dont reach the finals week, we're just proud of our boys, but despise the outcomes we will still be proud of the fijian boys GO FIJI GO!!

Fiji with such a good team picked for Saturday! Yato and Mata in the back row together and the back line is simply brilliant. Surprised at Radrada being on the wing. Would personally have put Goneva there and stuck Radrada at 13, perhaps looking to be more solid in defence against Australia's big centres?

1. Scott Sio (59 Tests)
  2. Tolu Latu (15 Tests)
  3. Allan Alaalatoa (33 Tests)
  4. Izack Rodda (21 Tests)
  5. Rory Arnold (22 Tests)
  6. David Pocock (78 Tests)
  7. Michael Hooper (c) (95 Tests)
  8. Isi Naisarani (4 Tests)
  9. Nic White (26 Tests)
  10. Christian Lealiifano (22 Tests)
  11. Marika Koroibete (24 Tests)
  12. Samu Kerevi (vc) (29 Tests)
  13. James O'Connor (48 Tests)
  14. Reece Hodge (37 Tests)
  15. Kurtley Beale (87 Tests)
Reserves
Jordan Uelese (4 Tests)
James Slipper (91 Tests)
Sekope Kepu (106 Tests)
Adam Coleman (34 Tests)
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (16 Tests)
Will Genia (105 Tests)
Matt To'omua (47 Tests)
Dane Haylett-Petty (33 Tests

https://australia.rugby/news/2019/09/19/cheika-confirms-team-world-cup-opener

My Pooper dreams came true.

Fiji:

1. Campese Ma'afu, 2. Samuel Matavesi, 3. Peni Ravai, 4. Tevita Gavubati, 5. Leone Nakarawa, 6. Dominiko Waqaniburotu, 7. Peceli Yato, 8. Villiame Mata, 9. Frank Lomani, 10. Ben Volavola, 11. Semi Radradra, 12. Levani Botia, 13. Waisea Nayacalevu, 14. Josua Tuisova, 15. Kini Murimurivalu

Reserves: 16. Veremalua Vugakoto, 17. Mosese Voka, 18. Eroni Mawi, 19. Nikola Matawalu, 20. Manasa Saulo, 21. Alivereti Veitokani, 22. Tevita Ratuva, 23. Vereniki Goneva

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/09/19/fiji-unveil-team-for-wallabies-clash/

Last edited:
How does the Fijian front row go?

Those Fijian wingers... unreal. They'd start for any other team right, pretty awesome if they can get some decent ball.

Fiji - will their discipline and fitness hold against a team that beat the All Black not long ago?
If everything goes their way that will be competitive but I just don't see them pushing the Wallabies close on the World Cup stage.
Entertainment - yeah all the way

The backline is frightening but it's got to come through a rather green 9. Aus will win this by 14 for me but we should see some amazing Fiji tries.

Radradra and Tuisova seems very dangerous out wide but isnt Rad a 13 normally? Or has he alot of time on the wing?

I'd have him at 13 as well, just get him the ball as soon as possible and let him go to work. He was unstoppable in rugby league (haven't seen him play much 15s)

Latest posts