• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool D] Round 1 - Australia vs. Fiji (21/09/2019)

Bizarre, if you get win a lineout close to the line, win the lineout, set up a mail and get it moving, you deserve the rewards. Talking about the mail like it's the easiest thing in the world to do discredits you before you get started in my opinion.
I mean it's madness there's a reason why I always criticise people going for the corner. If people are getting better at using I'm actually happy, the maul should be used more in the game to leads to a try.

No point in liking Rugby Union if you don't want some good forward play.

That Hodge tackle was 100% red for mine. No attempt to wrap. Shoulder to head contact. He'll be out for weeks.
ITV (UK TV) panel all agreed stone cold red uncluding Michael Lynagh.

Can anyone explain why the TMO didn't intercede? I can understand the ref getting it wrong in real time but it should of been looked at.

Bizarre, if you get win a lineout close to the line, win the lineout, set up a mail and get it moving, you deserve the rewards. Talking about the mail like it's the easiest thing in the world to do discredits you before you get started in my opinion.
Ok you may enjoy penalty kick,
I mean it's madness there's a reason why I always criticise people going for the corner. If people are getting better at using I'm actually happy, the maul should be used more in the game to leads to a try.

No point in liking Rugby Union if you don't want some good forward play.

It's not good forward play its basically obstruction, since formed the denfence has no chance of countering. If you push them back, they just spin and attack a new section.

Should be the same rules as the scrum. Can only push straight, at least then the denfence side would have a chance in hell of stopping it.

Can anyone explain why the TMO didn't intercede? I can understand the ref getting it wrong in real time but it should of been looked at.
The only thing I can think of, is that the Aussies took the lineout so quickly, and shoved back over their line - by the time there was time to have a look, it was too late.

It's not good enough, but it's the only thing I can think of - it was a stone-cold yellow in real time, and the more replays I see, the more it looks like a red.

Okay let's put it this way if they made the rolling maul completely useless like you want. What do you think will happen more back plays leading to thrilling trys or teams not kicking to the corner and taking 3 points?

A decent enough game. I didn't see enough from Fiji to make Wales particularly nervy given that defence is the Welsh strong suit, so they should really limit the amount of broken play Fiji can capitalise on. Horrible group for Georgia though.

Okay let's put it this way if they made the rolling maul completely useless like you want. What do you think will happen more back plays leading to thrilling trys or teams not kicking to the corner and taking 3 points?
Uncontested lineouts and more packed defences too considering you don't have to match the numbers.

I think it was missed because Hodge got flattened.

I think it was missed because Hodge got flattened.
That excuses the ref not the TMO who is allowed to watch replays and tell the ref something needs to be looked at. Infact that's his entire job.

Big question is will we see some citations. After all the talk from WR about protecting the head and being serious they will look pathetic if they do nothing.

Ok you may enjoy penalty kick,

It's not good forward play its basically obstruction, since formed the denfence has no chance of countering. If you push them back, they just spin and attack a new section.

Should be the same rules as the scrum. Can only push straight, at least then the denfence side would have a chance in hell of stopping it.
Mauls are part of the game, as is 'boring' forward play in general. A lot of people like it.

Sevens does exist for a reason.

Mauls are part of the game, as is 'boring' forward play in general. A lot of people like it.

Sevens does exist for a reason.
I'm not saying remove it but actually give the defensive side a chance to counter. I wonder how many mails end up with a penalty or a try?

You have to admit the attacking team have to fick up for one to fail.

Given that they're so easy, and so impossible to stop, it's amazing that they fail so often, and that you never see mauls just trundling 40m up the pitch.

Genuinely baffled that the TMO somehow didn't see the Hodge tackle... it was shoulder to head so if we are following the strict rules then Red card. It was a way worse hit than what Barrett got done for (which was also a legitimate red). Poor Fiji that extra man would've really helped them.

Genuinely baffled that the TMO somehow didn't see the Hodge tackle... it was shoulder to head so if we are following the strict rules then Red card. It was a way worse hit than what Barrett got done for (which was also a legitimate red). Poor Fiji that extra man would've really helped them.
And thT player that went off was having a stormer. Big carries and already a try.

Given that they're so easy, and so impossible to stop, it's amazing that they fail so often, and that you never see mauls just trundling 40m up the pitch.
i think you don't see them trundling 40m up the pitch because they are tiring to keep moving. so the key for the defence is not to give away penalties that allow the opposition to get close to the line. i think when you get a penalty where you can 90% of the time guarantee to nail a kick within 8m of the line, you will be better off doing so than going for a penalty goal. but that's fine by me. what's not fine is how hard it is to not give a penalty away in the first place.

Genuinely baffled that the TMO somehow didn't see the Hodge tackle...
Even more baffling why they asked Cheika about it, almost like they're TRYING to wind him up.

Also, just how much can fitness be used as an excuse? Jamie Roberts mentioned Fiji tiring through the match but surely fitness is something that doesn't require a mass of coaching or infrastructure. IMO I can understand smaller nations not being able to compete on a technical or skill level but not a fitness level.

So can Fiji make a complaint? I saw someone put something about it earlier in the thread, not sure what it does or how it helps Fiji?

Even more baffling why they asked Cheika about it, almost like they're TRYING to wind him up.

Also, just how much can fitness be used as an excuse? Jamie Roberts mentioned Fiji tiring through the match but surely fitness is something that doesn't require a mass of coaching or infrastructure. IMO I can understand smaller nations not being able to compete on a technical or skill level but not a fitness level.
Wouldn't you want to troll cheika if you had the chance? I'm not usually a fan of trolling but oh the entertainment value there would be too hard to pass up.

In terms of fitness I think it is just genetics. Fast twitch muscles of Fijians are good for power, not endurance.

Also I think training regimes and methods must impact fitness, as the top teams like wales and South Africa certainly put a lot of emphasis on it. Being able to travel to the humid mountains of Portugal and train on I've with a heat pack on your head does require resources.

Latest posts