• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool D] Round 1 - Wales vs. Georgia (23/09/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

GP48PUg.png
j7lEIMe.png
4bsksL7.png

Venue: City of Toyota Stadium
Time: 12:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

I expect Wales to go strong for this game. With Beard and Hill out though 2nd row is a bit sparse, obliviously AWJ and Ball will start, Shingler will have to cover 2nd Row from the Bench. I expect the team will be:

Smith, Owens, Francis, AWJ, Ball, Navidi, Tipruic, Moriarty, G Davies, Biggar, Adams, Parkes, J Davies, North, L Williams
Dee, Wyn Jones, Lewis, Shingler, Wainwright, T Williams, Patchell, Watkins

Rob howley sent home for betting on the outcome of some aspect of the RWC. Wierd news indeed.

Well... well. Umm. Yeah.

I really liked Stephen Jones as a player, hope he goes as well as an international coach.

Rob howley sent home for betting on the outcome of some aspect of the RWC. Wierd news indeed.

If he is betting on a game that Wales are not involved in - would it really be wrong?

[or indeed, if he was putting money on Wales to win...?]

I don't see either of those two as really problematic - even though they probably break the word of the law. Its only when a coach or player would be seeking to degrade or limit their own performances where the problems can arise.

Not trying to dance on anyone's grave or anything but Howlers being sent home and Stephen Jones being drafted in 'could' be the best thing to happen to Wales chances since the Grand Slam.

If he is betting on a game that Wales are not involved in - would it really be wrong?

[or indeed, if he was putting money on Wales to win...?]

I don't see either of those two as really problematic - even though they probably break the word of the law. Its only when a coach or player would be seeking to degrade or limit their own performances where the problems can arise.
There is another dedicated thread now to this, some interesting points on there that i do agree with.

WALES
1.Wyn Jones
2.Ken Owens
3.Tom Francis
4.Jake Ball
5.Alun Wyn Jones
6.Aaron Wainwright
7.Justin Tipuric
8.Josh Navidi
9.Gareth Davies
10.Dan Biggar
11.Josh Adams
12.Hadleigh Parkes
13.Jonthan Davies
14.George North
15.Liam Williams

16.Eliott Dee 17.Nicky Smith 18.Dillon Lewis 19.Aaron Shingler 20.Ross Moriarty 21.Tomos Williams 22.Rhys Patchell 23.Leigh Halfpenny

GEORGIA
1.Mikheil Nariashvili
2.Shalva Mamukashvili
3.Beka Gigashvili
4.Giorgi Nemsadze
5.Konstantine Mikautadze
6.Giorgi Tkhilaishvili
7.Mamuka Gorgodze
8.Beka Gorgadze
9.Vasil Lobzhanidze
10.Tedo Abzhandadze
11.Giorgi Kveseladze
12.Tamaz Mchedlidze
13.Davit Kacharava
14.Mirian Modebadze
15.Soso Matiashvili

16.Jaba Bregvadze 17.Guram Gogichashvili 18.Levan Chilachava 19.Shalva Sutiashvili 20.Beka Saginadze 21.Otar Giorgadze 22.Gela Aprasidze 23.Lasha Khmaladze

Not for a minute am I taking this match for granted. If Russia (RUSSIA) can push Japan, then a motivated well-conditioned Georgia will surely turn up and perform on this kinda stage.

I'm expecting a Wales win by 7(ish)... which I'd take actually.

Not for a minute am I taking this match for granted. If Russia (RUSSIA) can push Japan, then a motivated well-conditioned Georgia will surely turn up and perform on this kinda stage.

I'm expecting a Wales win by 7(ish)... which I'd take actually.

No disrespect to Georgia, but if we have any proper aims of lifting this trophy then scraping past a pretty limited and one dimensional Georgian team isn't the way to kick it off!

We should be looking to win this game fairly comfortably imo. Georgia have pushed us close in the past, but that tends to be in the AI's when we've got a scratch side out who are full of mistakes. We're almost full strength here, and if Italy can beat Georgia without too much problem we should be looking for at least a 20point margin.

Ideally we're in a healthy lead after half time so that we can pull our key players (Owens, AWJ, Biggar, JD2, Liam).

No disrespect to Georgia, but if we have any proper aims of lifting this trophy then scraping past a pretty limited and one dimensional Georgian team isn't the way to kick it off!

We should be looking to win this game fairly comfortably imo. Georgia have pushed us close in the past, but that tends to be in the AI's when we've got a scratch side out who are full of mistakes. We're almost full strength here, and if Italy can beat Georgia without too much problem we should be looking for at least a 20point margin.

Ideally we're in a healthy lead after half time so that we can pull our key players (Owens, AWJ, Biggar, JD2, Liam).

I get what your saying, I just know from history how this generally goes. First things first, we are not really the kind of team to blow anyone's doors off but that doesn't necessarily stop us from being able to beat teams who do. Second, with the way Georgia play their set piece, you'd have to think it could well keep them in a game against us when we're still to actually find our form yet (hopefully it'll begin to materialise on Monday morning though).

Saying all that, who knows! Wellies might have us cooking on gas, finding gaps where we've only found defenders under Howley and all my concern will be for nothing. What I would say is though, that Georgia performance against Italy last year was more down to the pressure the Georgians put on themselves than anything else... and I reckon that they will have learned a lot about about going out while firing shots.

PS I just love me some Georgia, so although I want the win... I wouldn't really enjoy watching a massacre.

Last edited:
Okay now that all the entree's are out of the way, it's time for me to duck out and get my game-face on!

Latest posts