• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool D] Round 1 - Wales vs. Georgia (23/09/2019)

Defence/concentration in the 2nd half will be a worry, but it's hard to judge, really - the game was won after 10minutes.

Solid win for Wales, no injuries, scored more tries than they have in the last decade. They'll be pretty happy.

Edit: Scrum potentially a worry as well

Defence/concentration in the 2nd half will be a worry, but it's hard to judge, really - the game was won after 10minutes.

Solid win for Wales, no injuries, scored more tries than they have in the last decade. They'll be pretty happy.

Yeah in the end same as England and Ireland. Even if there are a few areas of worry, BP and no injuries are the most important aspect.

There's nothing to be disappointed with here, got the job done early. The mind wanders to the next game and not getting injured then.

Ok Shaun Edwards will be a little disappointed by the defence in the second half.

So before I read back over the posts, obviously a fine first half for Wales but it looks like a little stage fright might have effected Georgia during that first 40. We didn't do much of note during the second half but the fact that we didn't have a great deal of ball during that period will at the very least be good for our fitness moving forwards.

Happy for Georgia, what a great second half they produced! Hopefully that will put them in great stead to give Australia and Fiji a real run for their money.

Thought Tips was very good, Adams was also good, Navidi and Jonathan Davies were maybe a notch above decent... oh and Tomos looked ok when he came on. Relatively hapus.

Last edited:
Pretty good from Wales I thought. I only paid attention first half and looked up a few times for the second, A's was doing other stuff. Bonus point gained and no injuries? Saw Owens go down clutching his knee.

now the big one v Australia on Sunday. Should be a good one.

Ok Shaun Edwards will be a little disappointed by the defence in the second half.

Good. A good dose of the hairdryer treatment from Shaun should shore up any weaknesses ahead of Australia, hopefully!

Did their main stuff in the 1st half. 2nd half they were dodgy. Does not matter.

I would be relatively happy as a Welsh fan. Other than letting Georgia come back strong but I would out that down to the game being won pretty early. As an Englishman I will be cheering Wales on against the Aussies to top the group. I genuinely would like to avoid Wales in the quarters as I think they would be picking their lips at the prospect of a quarter final against England!

=[QUOTE"RugbyTackle91, post: 960210, member: 73485"]I would be relatively happy as a Welsh fan. Other than letting Georgia come back strong but I would out that down to the game being won pretty early. As an Englishman I will be cheering Wales on against the Aussies to top the group. I genuinely would like to avoid Wales in the quarters as I think they would be picking their lips at the prospect of a quarter final against England![/QUOTE]

Assuming
I would be relatively happy as a Welsh fan. Other than letting Georgia come back strong but I would out that down to the game being won pretty early. As an Englishman I will be cheering Wales on against the Aussies to top the group. I genuinely would like to avoid Wales in the quarters as I think they would be picking their lips at the prospect of a quarter final against England!

Assuming England qualify and top the group...

Not good enough from Georgia really, it's not acceptable to bring intensity and basic execution only once the game is dead. Still, Id have sadly settled for such a scoreline for Italy against Wales.

Such a pain that arguably Georgia's two best backs are both scrum halves. Still, they showed enough in the second half to have half a crack at Fiji in what is an incredibly tough group for a Tier 2 side.

Solid for Wales, nice settled team selection and pretty ruthless when it counted. I remain blindly hopeful that the presence of Steven Jones will see more exposure for Patchell, it is hard for me to see Biggar leading Wales beyond a semi final space. But I cant see Gatland doing that.

So not sure if it's been mentioned but it's becoming more and more of a possibility that Cory Hill won't make it... which will be a real shame actually. If fit he would be my first choice locking partner for Sir Alun of Wyn and although he got a lot of stick for the Lions (seemed to get the brunt of the Geography 6 furore) he has been excellent ever since... culminating in his only performance in a Welsh shirt this year when he was very close to the man of the match award against England in the 6 Nations.

I still hold out hope that he will make it through but by the look on Gats face when he was posed the question, it doesn't look good.

So not sure if it's been mentioned but it's becoming more and more of a possibility that Cory Hill won't make it... which will be a real shame actually. If fit he would be my first choice locking partner for Sir Alun of Wyn and although he got a lot of stick for the Lions (seemed to get the brunt of the Geography 6 furore) he has been excellent ever since... culminating in his only performance in a Welsh shirt this year when he was very close to the man of the match award against England in the 6 Nations.

I still hold out hope that he will make it through but by the look on Gats face when he was posed the question, it doesn't look good.

Been confirmed this morning that Davies has taken his place.

:(... not that I don't rate Davies but... :( all the same.

He's fine just not the same quality as Hill.
Wales did what they needed to yesterday. Got the bonus point secured and came out with no injuries (although I heard Parkes has a small fracture in his hand but will be fine for Sunday). I don't think the drop off in the 2nd half is too much of a concern although it had a lot to do with Georgia actually stepping in the 2nd half.

He's fine just not the same quality as Hill.
Wales did what they needed to yesterday. Got the bonus point secured and came out with no injuries (although I heard Parkes has a small fracture in his hand but will be fine for Sunday). I don't think the drop off in the 2nd half is too much of a concern although it had a lot to do with Georgia actually stepping in the 2nd half.

No I like Davies, particularly what he brings to a group... but I'm just a really big Cory Hill fan (for my sins).

Yeah pity about Hill, as for the game if you play just to stay safe for the next game then you shouldn't be on the field, very poor second half and there wqs some loose play the first half too, hoping for more, but I always hope for more.

WTF? 22 minute highlights from WR? Had to do a double take when I saw it. Hopefully from now on all the extended highlights will be that long at least.

WTF? 22 minute highlights from WR? Had to do a double take when I saw it. Hopefully from now on all the extended highlights will be that long at least.

Maybe World Rugby have been reading TRF :D

Edit. If so, NO MORE BLOODY FRENCH REFS!

Seems like they are doing short highlights on the day of the game then super extended ones the following day. If that becomes regular I think I'll start avoiding scores for matches I'm not so interested in and wait on the extended highlights.

Latest posts