• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool D] Round 2 - Australia vs. Wales (29/09/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

SxGOCQa.png
j7lEIMe.png
GP48PUg.png

Venue: Tokyo Stadium
Time: 09:45 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

I am genuinely looking forward to this more than any other Tier1 contest in the pool stage. Wallabies are pretty major sleepers and have looked better without Foley and Folau than I ever expected and I dont think the Welsh pack will be totally dominant, which gives the Oz backs a chance to strut their stuff and ask Shaun Edwards a few questions. I still think he'll have most of the answers.

I would pay to see 80 minutes of non stop breakdown featuring the Welsh back row and Pocock & Hooper.

I think the opening 10-15 will be crucial. If Australia get some points and momentum then I can see it going to the wire. If Wales start strong, then I can see them winning by 10+ points quite comfortably

I actually feel more confident than i thought i would.

This is our world cup. It's either win this or bust and everyone knows it. There is no way in hell we beat England and then NZ to make the final.

I think we will turn up. And i think our best is still better than Wales best.

Anything less than 100%, though, and Wales win.

Edit: Hodge banned for three weeks. It would be fine if it was consistent, but having seen the Samoa game i feel comfortable saying it's complete bullshit. Two clear shoulders to head and they only get yellows?

Last edited:
I actually feel more confident than i thought i would.

This is our world cup. It's either win this or bust and everyone knows it. There is no way in hell we beat England and then NZ to make the final.

I think we will turn up. And i think our best is still better than Wales best.

Anything less than 100%, though, and Wales win.

I guess this is a measure of how close this match is to call as most of us Welsh fans would deem our best better than Australia's best.

Very rarely does a team perform at their limit though so I wonder how our 85%-90%'s match up?

I guess this is a measure of how close this match is to call as most of us Welsh fans would deem our best better than Australia's best.

Very rarely does a team perform at their limit though so I wonder how our 85%-90%'s match up?
Yeah it'll be close.

I dunno man. Our best was handing the All Blacks their record loss a few months ago in Perth, the best team in the world who you havent beaten since 1953. We've also beaten you 13/14 times.

That said, you are peaking and we are hit and (mostly) miss. I don;'t think i've seen an 85% performance from the wobblies in 5 years. It's either great or 50%.

There's no way I would ever be confident going into an Aus game, I've seen the beat Wales far too many times. I expect Aus to be a lot more accurate than the fiji game as well Wales actually playing the full 80 minutes this time!

Reece Hodge banned for 3 weeks hence will miss games vs Wales Georgia & Uruguay

Won't be available until QF match

Deserved Ban IMO

Feel like this matchup happens every 6 months or so - gotta be the most common tier one test in the last decade (minus the Bledisloe, since they started doing that three times a year)

Definitely the most intriguing matchup of the round. Australia, on their day, can beat anyone - but they're way too inconsistent.

Hard to say where Wales are at ATM - poor warm ups and then blew away Georgia without breaking a sweat (but leaking some tries and getting their scrum beat up in the process).

Yeah it'll be close.

I dunno man. Our best was handing the All Blacks their record loss a few months ago in Perth, the best team in the world who you havent beaten since 1953. We've also beaten you 13/14 times.

That said, you are peaking and we are hit and (mostly) miss. I don;'t think i've seen an 85% performance from the wobblies in 5 years. It's either great or 50%.

The difference being that wasn't the All Blacks best... no disrespect but I honestly believe our best against that All Blacks performance would've been a win for us too. We'll never know though.

There's no way I would ever be confident going into an Aus game, I've seen the beat Wales far too many times. I expect Aus to be a lot more accurate than the fiji game as well Wales actually playing the full 80 minutes this time!

I'm not saying I'm confident, I'm saying 'if' we play at our absolute best (& when have we ever been at our best against the Aussies) I think we'd have them on toast.

Last edited:
I think Australia will win They can score point easily
Wales will struggle as Biggar is not creative as a #10
His best skill is catching his up and unders.....

If Australia score more than 20 points, they'll win
Wales are an average team outside of Cardiff

I'm not saying I'm confident, I'm saying 'if' we play at our absolute best (& when have we ever been at our best against the Aussies) I think we'd have them on toast.

I didn't mean you in particular, I meant in general that's how I feel.

Last edited:
Darn, Hodge's ban will mess with the Wallabies options in the backs a bit (and take out one contender for the longest penalty kick award :p). I've always rated him. Maybe overrated him.

So Haylett Petty to replace Hodge? Apart from expect that Wobblies TP remains unchanged from the team which played Fiji, unless Genia comes in for White.

I put my money to Wales consistency here
Wales by 10+

Wallabies: Scott Sio, Tolu Latu, Allan Alaalatoa, Izack Rodda, Rory Arnold, David Pocock, Michael Hooper (c), Isi Naisarani, Will Genia, Bernard Foley, Marika Koroibete, Samu Kerevi, James O'Connor, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Dane Haylett- Petty; Reserves: Jordan Uelese, James Slipper, Sekope Kepu, Adam Coleman, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Nic White, Matt To'omua, Kurtley Beale.

Wales: L Williams; North, Jonathan Davies, Parkes, Adams; Biggar, G Davies; Wyn Jones, Owens, Francis, Ball, Alun Wyn Jones (C), Wainwright, Tipuric, Navidi. Reserves: Smith, Dee, Lewis, Shingler, Moriarty, T Williams, Patchell, Watkin.

Wallabies Pooper combo to start again.

Latest posts