• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool D] Round 2 - Australia vs. Wales (29/09/2019)

FIJI next Wednesday, Fiji play Georgia tomorrow, will be interesting to see and who Fiji pick, will they rest some of their better players for us?
Oh I don't think there's any doubt that Fiji will want to go out with a bang against us! I'd imagine they will play a strongish side against Georgia and then we'll get their best.

I'm a little confused as to why the Aussies are so disappointed Wales beat them we've already beat them before this game, so not a real shock boyos :D;)
It's the hope that kills you. We were unplayable in the second half and a win was very much on the cards. It would have been much easier to take if you smashed us.

I think there is plenty to be encouraged about from an Aussie perspective. Tightening up ball distribution should actually be manageable even for Cheika and his mindless coaching team.

Our forwards impressed me, particularly the front row. We managed to match Wales in the line-out without a jumping 6, got the upper hand in the scrum and made more metres around the ground, though i think Wales had the upper hand in the ruck shenanigans.

Wales are clearly the better, more consistent side (ranked number 2 after all) and the current 6 nations champions and we still pushed them mighty close.

I also think we learned two very valuable lessons this game. The attacking side is being favoured at ruck time and so the Pooper should be shelved. Cheika also learnt what everyone else already knew - Foley is done and dusted.

The difference in the coaching was astronomical. Wales had clearly studied Genia's Gregan two step and targeted it well. They knew to get as many points as they could as quickly as possible (hence drop-kicks). They also targeted Naisarani and the second rowers with effective choke tackles. Simple yet effective.

Australia on the other hand just trotted out the exact same game plan we've seen for the past four years with about the same result.

Finally, apologies all round for my angry drunken ranting - i get caught up sometimes.

It's the hope that kills you. We were unplayable in the second half and a win was very much on the cards. It would have been much easier to take if you smashed us.

I think there is plenty to be encouraged about from an Aussie perspective. Tightening up ball distribution should actually be manageable even for Cheika and his mindless coaching team.

Our forwards impressed me, particularly the front row. We managed to match Wales in the line-out without a jumping 6, got the upper hand in the scrum and made more metres around the ground, though i think Wales had the upper hand in the ruck shenanigans.

Wales are clearly the better, more consistent side (ranked number 2 after all) and the current 6 nations champions and we still pushed them mighty close.

I also think we learned two very valuable lessons this game. The attacking side is being favoured at ruck time and so the Pooper should be shelved. Cheika also learnt what everyone else already knew - Foley is done and dusted.

The difference in the coaching was astronomical. Wales had clearly studied Genia's Gregan two step and targeted it well. They knew to get as many points as they could as quickly as possible (hence drop-kicks). They also targeted Naisarani and the second rowers with effective choke tackles. Simple yet effective.

Australia on the other hand just trotted out the exact same game plan we've seen for the past four years with about the same result.

Finally, apologies all round for my angry drunken ranting - i get caught up sometimes.

There's no doubt you were the better team in that second half but what every Aussie I hear from seems to be (maybe conveniently) not accounting for is how the conditions affect NH teams... in this case Wales. It is of course possible that Australia would've dominated us in the second half regardless of conditions but far less likely.

There's no doubt you were the better team in that second half but what every Aussie I hear from seems to be (maybe conveniently) not accounting for is how the conditions affect NH teams... in this case Wales. It is of course possible that Australia would've dominated us in the second half regardless of conditions but far less likely.
seems irrelevant in the context of a World Cup in Japan?

If anything, that's another thing we can take away from the game. The Northern sides will wilt at the end.

If anything, that's another thing we can take away from the game. The Northern sides will wilt at the end.
We'll see, I think we (NH sides) could start to acclimate by the time we get to the knock outs.

Last edited:
We'll see, I think we (NH side) could start to acclimate by the time we get to the knock outs.
Mebe. Fiji also wilted.

I think one of the few things Cheika actually brings to the table is a strong fitness regime.

Mebe. Fiji also wilted.

I think one of the few things Cheika actually brings to the table is a strong fitness regime.
Yeah, you looked fit to be fair... we are normally considered a notoriously fit team too, just goes to show how alien Japanese conditions are to us.

I've been pretty vocal about the fact that I think the conditions versus NH was a big contributor to Japan beating Ireland too.

Yeah, you looked fit to be fair... we are normally considered a notoriously fit team too, just goes to show how alien Japanese conditions are to us.

I've been pretty vocal about the fact that I think the conditions versus NH was a big contributor to Japan beating Ireland too.
I think the lack of Johnny Sexton was a bigger factor.

Conditions will start to get cooler and less humid in a few weeks.

We'll see, I think we (NH sides) could start to acclimate by the time we get to the knock outs.
Also a climate will aclimate for you as the temperatures will reduce as the tournament goes on
Edit: Prometheus got there first

Also a climate will aclimate for you as the temperatures will reduce as the tournament goes on
Edit: Prometheus got there first
... or @profitius even ;), yeah that is good news for us Northern heads as it seems that we are finding it tough in those second half's as it stands.

Still I reckon that this particular second half will stand the Welsh in good stead. Took a lot of resolve and will power to 'hold the line' against what Oz brought that second half. A big psychological boost to the boys who have always notoriously struggled against SH teams, particularly at World Cups.

Latest posts