• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool D] Round 2 - Fiji vs. Uruguay (25/09/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

TwpWKBb.png
j7lEIMe.png
YEO8NxJ.jpg

Venue: Kamaishi Recovery Memorial Stadium
Time: 07:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Can't be bothered to post both lineups (sorry!), but Fiji have changed 12 of the side that played Australia!

Matavesi is not really a 10, but I'd still fancy the likes of Radradra and Veitokani to make mincemeat of a semi pro defence.

I have a lot of time for countries which are actively trying to embrace our game... and from I've heard Uruguay is definitely in that category but still, I'd imagine this is gonna get real messy.

come on los teros! hope the fijeans underestimate. them the could have a surprise

This will be closer than people are anticipating. Uruguay are extremely inconsistent though, they beat the USA back in March but they've also lost to Spain and Fiji (heavily) in the past year. If they perform well then this could be a lot closer than anticipated. A solid Uruguay showing and I'll say Fiji by 12, otherwise I'll say Fiji by 30

Fiji:
1. Eroni Mawi
2. Mesulame Dolokoto
3. Manasa Saulo
4. Tevita Ratuva
5. Api Ratuniyarawa
6. Dominiko Waqaniburotu (capt.)
7. Mosese Voka
8. Leone Nakarawa
9. Henry Seniloli
10. Josh Matavesi
11. Vereniki Goneva
12. Jale Vatubua
13. Semi Radradra
14. Filipo Nakosi
15. Alivereti Veitokani

16. Tuvere Vugakoto
17. Campese Ma'afu
18. Lee-Roy Atalifo
19. Tevita Cavubati
20. Samuel Matavesi
21. Nikola Matawalu
22. Ben Volavola
23. Levani Botia

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/479527

Wow. This will destroy my superbru prediction but quite happy about it.

Fiji 2nds look like they've never trained together before. Really letting uruguay into this, who in fairness are taking every chance and playing extremely well

Halftime
Fiji 12-24 Uruguay
Could this match become the first upset in Japan RWC? :)

Be careful Fiji you have so much flair you play like a touch rugby team
Get back to basics or you will go down to a determined Uruguay team

So I just woke up, had no idea this game started so early.

Wow, go Uruguay.

Edit. Think I'm gonna have to watch this on +1.

One thing to take from this is that placing some Uruguay players in the MLR has helped with fitness. In the long term this league could be a great addition to professional club rugby. Many talented T2 players will have an alternative to ProD2 and RFU Championship.

This is awesome.... pure desire with no little capability either. Fiji butchering overlaps like nobody's business.

Closest you gonna get to a quarter final is a quarter pounder Fiji
Well done to Uruguay, great to see what true determination and no nonsense rugby can do

Absolutely. And a timely warning for any tier 1 Nations. There is no room for the kind of complacency Fiji showed today.

Man Fiji were bad. Big congrats to Uruguay, their tackling was good against big powerful opposition.

Big upset. But not the upset I wanted to see. It closes the pool now, save for something bizarre.

@Brigantine according to your world ranking based probabilities, how big an upset was this?

Does anyone know what the odds were with the bookies?

Edit: happy about it now after watching the post match interview

Last edited:

Latest posts