• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool D] Round 2 - Fiji vs. Uruguay (25/09/2019)

For those watching again.. I'd be interested in other opinions. Also posted in the refs decisions thread....

Anyone see Goneva's cheapshot on Uruguay's 14? Very cynical for me........ Comes at 65:31 on the game clock. Goneva strikes a player to the head with his elbow. I called it "naughty" in real time. In slo mo it's a straight red....... The thing is looking at the footage the ref is literally looking right at it..........

Uruguay were awesome but may have found it less stressful playing against 14................

I am very, very happy for them. I watched the thing live and there were 2 stat that i kept a close watch on: tackles and missed tackles by Uruguay. They were missing a LOT of tackles, but they made up for it but having people covering each other non-stop. I thought that would be impossible to maintain for 80 minutes. They played their hearts out, literally.

What I didn't see coming:
- Uruguay was very efficient. They had few chances but transformed those few into points.
- Fijis lack of efficiency. They butchered so many opportunities with silly, almost incomprehensible mistakes.
- Fijis kicking.

In my book, this is at least a big of an upset as Japan vs South Africa. The difference is that after that win Japan had a chance of qualifying for a QF.

Outstanding stuff. The post match interview was outstanding too.

This result is what world rugby needs. More smaller nations making themselves heard. Hopefully rugby in Uruguay will grow a lot.

I am very, very happy for them. I watched the thing live and there were 2 stat that i kept a close watch on: tackles and missed tackles by Uruguay. They were missing a LOT of tackles, but they made up for it but having people covering each other non-stop. I thought that would be impossible to maintain for 80 minutes. They played their hearts out, literally.

- Uruguay was very efficient. They had few chances but transformed those few into points.
- Fijis lack of efficiency. They butchered so many opportunities with silly, almost incomprehensible mistakes.
- Fijis kicking.

In my book, this is at least a big of an upset as Japan vs South Africa. The difference is that after that win Japan had a chance of qualifying for a QF.

Absolutely, if the heart is strong enough the fitness magically improves.

This is absolutely nowhere even close to as big of an upset as SA vs Japan, don't know why I have seen this a few times.

Also seem to be seeing in every thread people crying about a lack of red cards?

Who wants to see a red card in every game? If they start dishing out red cards in every game then it will kill the spectacle of the game and the sport will die.

This is absolutely nowhere even close to as big of an upset as SA vs Japan, don't know why I have seen this a few times.

Who wants to see a red card in every game? If they start dishing out red cards in every game then it will kill the spectacle of the game and the sport will die.
Or players will become a lot more careful about the offences that lead to red cards and the sport as a whole will become safer? Short term pain long term gain, mar a deir an seanfhocal.

Agree, people rewatching games to try and find things nit pick is one of the worst things about these message boards. And I agree, you're never going to get rid of incidental, accidental and even reckless contact with the head given how fluid the game is.

We already have too many cards as it is.

Or players will become a lot more careful about the offences that lead to red cards and the sport as a whole will become safer? Short term pain long term gain, mar a deir an seanfhocal.
Thats a very worthy cause I suppose, but this isn't the stage to be nit picking things IMO,
They can bring it in at club level, then 6 nations/rugby championship. To start red carding for fun on the biggest stage would not be a good look.

They need to be a little bit consistent now too, can't just start red carding blokes for any head contact in the play offs when they haven't been doing it now.

Thats a very worthy cause I suppose, but this isn't the stage to be nit picking things IMO,
They can bring it in at club level, then 6 nations/rugby championship. To start red carding for fun on the biggest stage would not be a good look.

They need to be a little bit consistent now too, can't just start red carding blokes in the play offs when they haven't been doing it now
That's fair but equally rugby can't afford to be lax on these issues during the world cup, this is easily the most publicised event in the sport, rugby as a sport needs to show it takes these things seriously.

Does anyone know what the odds were with the bookies?

Apologies. I read an article earlier that said 50/1. I think the 20/1 that I mentioned earlier was Canada's odds, not Uruguay's. The bit about them being a good bit longer on the exchanges holds true though.

Maybe a South American tri-nations tournament could develop aside from the RC between Argentina, Uruguay and Chile. Flights and distances between these countries is minimal 1- 2 hours, and it could easily be fitted around the RC calendar.

I don't see anyone else in South America with any real strength in Rugby, the continent is dominated by football and baseball is popular in the north around Venezuela.
well I rate Brazil over Chile they have a huge population and the sport is growing there. they have the potencial to match any other team.
the tournament you suggest exists it's the ARC. arg xv uru Brazil Canada usa chile
and Brazil is been doing good there calming victories over USA and arg xv. the pumas are a bit too much for the tournament for the moment. but in a few years...
and now an american pro league is beeng crated plus the USA pro ligue where some Uruguayans play and also there's the south American championship. so I guess we'll see huge grouth in the region.

Amen

When Uruguay beat Argentina XV in the 4 nations tournament
earlier this year I took notice It was a comprehensive win & a sign of their growing improvement

Argentina has been a strong supporter of Uruguay & South American
Rugby Long may it continue

That's why I want the 2027 Rugby World Cup to be in Argentina
Open up the South American American Market Also aligns well with
US market with EST being only 1 hour behind
Moreover Argentinian has the infrastructure in terms of its stadiums

I hope our Argentinians posters can confirm if the country has the mass transportation infrastructure: Airport Capacity - both International & Domestic Routes, Public Transport Facilities, Motorway capacity etc

Economy should be in better place by that time as well- National Elections due soon

there are plans to Co host with Uruguay. there is infrastructure. but many issues should be addressed. like the economic mess we are living in.
we deserve it rugby wise cos our long history and achievements. way more than japan. as country /society we don't.

- Fijis kicking.

I was literary jumping of my seat I have strong bonds with Uruguay so this was special. many friends (for those who don't know buenos aires is the second city in the world with more Uruguayans after Montevideo) and I go there pretty much every year (to visit my best friend) they are good at all sports and their most recognized feature are the BALLS they put into it.
so I salute you Uruguay!

That's fair but equally rugby can't afford to be lax on these issues during the world cup, this is easily the most publicised event in the sport, rugby as a sport needs to show it takes these things seriously.

To who? I'm not sure casual fans really care to be honest. It's for player safety, which is great, but fans don't care about player safety (in general).

Great win from Uruguay. The captain was so emotional in the post match interview.

Apparently rugby participation in Japan went down after that famous win over South Africa... the reason, Japanese mothers not wanting their children to be involved in such a 'perceived' to be dangerous sport.

If you can prove to 'these' people, the people which have a big say in whether the next generation are aloud to take up the game... that World Rugby takes these things seriously ie issues Red Cards when they are deserved but also ban players post-match when they slip through the net during the game, the issue of future uptake will be mitigated somewhat imho.

Apparently rugby participation in Japan went down after that famous win over South Africa... the reason, Japanese mothers not wanting their children to be involved in such a 'perceived' to be dangerous sport.
Fascinating, have you got a link to those stats as I would love a deeper look?

Fascinating, have you got a link to those stats as I would love a deeper look?

I haven't, it was something mentioned on a broadcast... I think in the build up to the World Cup (or maybe during the Japan vs Russia game) but it stuck with me as I just assumed every Japanese kid would've been picking up a rugby ball after that historic day.

If you can prove to 'these' people, the people which have a big say in whether the next generation are aloud to take up the game... that World Rugby takes these things seriously ie issues Red Cards when they are deserved but also ban players post-match when they slip through the net during the game, the issue of future uptake will be mitigated somewhat imho.

I don't remember there being anything particularly dangerous in that game in terms of red cards or foul play? Just a good hard game of rugby. If they're turned off by a game like that, then no amount of legislation will win them over.

Latest posts