• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool D] Round 4 -Wales vs. Fiji (09/10/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

GP48PUg.png
j7lEIMe.png
TwpWKBb.png

Venue: Oita Stadium
Time: 11:45 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

In a week of fairly snooze inducing dead rubbers I will cling to this one to tide me over until next weekend. Welsh depth should comfortably prevent any repeat of past calamities methinks.

Last edited:
Wainwright, and tips rested, I'm not a big tips fan but, he's done well so far Wainwright too, very good, its Moriarties and chubbies place to win if they can.

I do wonder if Wales will keep their tactic not kicking the ball out and keeping in play considering the danger Fiji pose in open play? As other people have said, Wales need to keep it tight, play smart and take their chances when they arrive.

Wales can stuff Fiji at the lineout too.

You beat Fiji by making them play the set pieces you don't get in 7s. That was Australia's get out of jail free card when Fiji were giving them a hard time.

Wales can stuff Fiji at the lineout too.

You beat Fiji by making them play the set pieces you don't get in 7s. That was Australia's get out of jail free card when Fiji were giving them a hard time.

Fiji were good in the first half of the Aus game but Aus showed how you should not approach a game against Fiji, as you mentioned they tried to play a 7s game.

I do wonder if Wales will keep their tactic not kicking the ball out and keeping in play considering the danger Fiji pose in open play? As other people have said, Wales need to keep it tight, play smart and take their chances when they arrive.
Yeah I think this is the one match we want to be putting in touch-finders rather than keeping it in play.

Yeah I think this is the one match we want to be putting in touch-finders rather than keeping it in play.
It does seem, at least to an outsider, that Gatland is the best coach in terms of making match-to-match changes in tactics... Wales certainly caught Cheika under-prepared, so I'm curious to see what's different tomorrow... :)

Wainwright, and tips rested, I'm not a big tips fan but, he's done well so far Wainwright too, very good, its Moriarties and chubbies place to win if they can.
I personally think Gats leaving Tips out of tomorrow's match is a marker for how pivotal he is regarded by the powers that be, should we progress through the tournament. To me Gats is saying 'we do not want Tips picking up a needless injury as he is going to be so important down the road'... could be wrong but I think he has been our best player over the two games thus far.

Last edited:
Feels like an age since Wales have played!

I'll always feel a little nervy against Fiji, particularly at a World Cup but excited to see us (hopefully) continue to build the momentum today that we will need to go deep in the competition.

Last edited:
I dont like this game , Fiji have the backline to beat anyone . Like umaga said Fiji will want to go out out with a bang no league place to defend , this could get messy Wales to edge a close nervy game ..

I dont like this game , Fiji have the backline to beat anyone . Like umaga said Fiji will want to go out out with a bang no league place to defend , this could get messy Wales to edge a close nervy game ..
All of this is what has me a bit concerned... still, if we have any realistic chance of going deep in the competition this is the kind of test we need to be passing.

On a separate subject, excited to see James Davies get a run out today.

anyone that is not New Zealand

I think Wales are smart enough to put the kind of game plan in place that will really smother Fiji. If we play into their hands then we're in trouble and I think there will be a fightback towards the end much like against Australia. Having said that, the selection of James Davies does suggest we'll be looking to play when the time is right as well, so I wouldn't expect a dull, tryless encounter by any means.

Latest posts