• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool D] Round 4 - Wales vs. Uruguay (13/10/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

GP48PUg.png
j7lEIMe.png
YEO8NxJ.jpg

Venue: Kumamoto Stadium
Time: 10:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Is it not a bit strange to have not included three fly halves, or would it have been a luxury they couldn't afford? I wouldn't have much confidence in either Liam or Amos against any competitive side.

Hasn't Parkes played there a fair bit?
He has played there a good few times for the Scarlets but while he looked ok(ish) in 2017 & 2018 (finishing off at 10 for like the last 10 minutes of games) in 2019 he actually played some full games there and was pretty bad actually. The weakest aspect of his game was kicking out of hand and we seem to do quite a bit of that.

Wales: Halfpenny; Adams, Watkin, Parkes, Amos; Patchell, A Davies; Smith, Elias, Lewis, Davies, Beard, Shingler, Tipuric (capt) Wainwright.

Replacements: Dee, Carre, W Jones, Ball, Moriarty, James Davies, T Williams, G Davies.

Kinda as expected. Surprised that Parkes and Josh are starting again. Was maybe expecting North to get another run-out, maybe at centre, due to how little he was involved v Fiji.

Good chance that we'll see one of Tipuric or James Davies in the backline towards the end. Tips at 13 anyone?

Jon Davies picked up a bit of a knock in the fiji game, which is why he is rested.

Jon Davies picked up a bit of a knock in the fiji game, which is why he is rested.
You wouldn't risk him in this even if he was 100%, surely?
He's arguably Wales' most important player (him and Sanjay are first names on the sheet) - there's no point risking him in a pretty pointless game, especially when he's as injury prone as he is

You wouldn't risk him in this even if he was 100%, surely?
He's arguably Wales' most important player (him and Sanjay are first names on the sheet) - there's no point risking him in a pretty pointless game, especially when he's as injury prone as he is

Yeah, you would try rest him if everyone is fit, although Parkes has been carrying an injury already and 4th choice centre North is carrying a knock as well.

I am a big fan of North when in form but he just isnt getting into games. This is where Owen Lane might have been an option. I do however really rate Amos and think he has a fantastic brain for lines and offloads. I really want him to have a massive game and make himself undropable

Yeah, big fan of Amos as well. Shame he's suffered so many injuries, he was carving it up for Wales a couple of seasons back in the AI's. As you said he's a very intelligent player, with a very good all round skillset, and he makes things happen.

So it's been mentioned once or twice that Gats doesn't feel Amos has the necessary gas to be an out and out winger, so interesting to see he's selected on the wing for Sunday. He's definitely had the odd patch of test level form over the last five years or so but it's about time he establishes himself (& the Blues move could well facilitate that). Would be a great boost if he ran into a rich vein during this World Cup.

I'm not too worried about George though, it wouldn't surprise me if he goes onto score in his next few games for Wales. There's no doubt he was quiet on Wednesday and against Georgia until the last 10 or 15 minutes but his strike rate at internationally is still very high.

Interesting to see how our bin-juice goes today against a surprisingly decent Uruguay team.

Latest posts