• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 1] England vs. Australia (19/10/2019)

Found a picture of him when in heated discussion with the English

ban_fatherted.jpg
Awsome.

Also think this should go up again to remind us how far we have come (plus how satisfying it has been to keep beating the Aussies for a whole world cup cycle).

Anyone remember this gem? Original fox sports video since removed for reasons I cannot possibly think of...

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/love...nes-played-the-perfect-hand-against-australia

Will we possibly see Joe Cokanasiga on the bench? For the power he brings?

Spot on depiction of Curry and Underhill there! :p

I'd worry bout Big Joe's defence against the highest scoring team... he gets caught out from time to time. That said, Ashton was great against them before, and he's a revolving door. Doesn't matter if they score if you score two.

My slightly left field pick is Wilson for Billy V... NZ with quick ball are devastating, and Curry, Underhill, Wilson as a backrow gives you the most chance that one of them will be on hand to interfere at the breakdown. Can't see it actually happening, though.

This is probably close to being the biggest match of EJ's career - he's going to put everything into making sure they have tools and plan in place to overcome New Zealand. Because once you get past them, surely the prospect of having either Wales or South Africa in the final makes things a bit easier, right?

I'm beginning to like the idea of playing Billy V less and less. He is often criticised for being a one trick pony but prior to his injury would include other aspects of his game. Recently though he is just back to running into brick walls. Until we start using him in a less obvious way, I don't think he contributes enough. Running straight at 2 set defenders and making no ground nor setting up quick ball or drawing in defenders is just a waste. He can still be destructive but we have got to look to add other aspects to his play like pop passes and using him as a decoy. If we don't do any of this then I'd like an 8 who has a bit more to their game.

My slightly left field pick is Wilson for Billy V... NZ with quick ball are devastating, and Curry, Underhill, Wilson as a backrow gives you the most chance that one of them will be on hand to interfere at the breakdown. Can't see it actually happening, though.
Agree with all of that. Will Jones go bold? If so there are a couple of other surprises he could spring.

Itoje lost a few in the line out last time out against NZ. We'll be up against Whitelock and Retallick again and something like that is the last thing we'd need so there'd be a certain logic in starting the bigger men in Lawes and Kruis. I doubt we'll see it, but Jones has been telling us that we don't have a first XV any more.

Assuming Faz will be 10 and Manu 12 there's also an argument for playing Daly at 13 which I think's his best position. He continues to give me palpitations at 15 and Slade's clearly rusty, not a game to be hunting form or fitness. JJ's going well but you'd want either Daly or Slade's kicking game to back up Faz. Watson to 15 and either Nowell or big Joe to wing, while either might be a punt, at least they'd be a positive punt. But unlikely to see that either.

This is probably close to being the biggest match of EJ's career - he's going to put everything into making sure they have tools and plan in place to overcome New Zealand. Because once you get past them, surely the prospect of having either Wales or South Africa in the final makes things a bit easier, right?

Yeah the 2003 RWC final certainly wasn't the biggest match of his career. Also every time someone abbreviates his name to EJ I think they're talking about Elton John :(

Last edited:
Now Raelene Castle just needs to get the boot too and Australia can start rebuilding properly

Guess we are getting ahead of ourselves as should wait for the bet thread but.....
Last time round we lost to NZ by 1 solitary point that came at the death for them. And I would argue that the England team that played that day were not at the same level of these lads, and NZ haven't improved, mainly because I don't think there is any way they can, they're at already as well honed and skilled as a team can be.

what's good for England is that we do really seem to be on a steady upward trajectory, improving with every game we play. And with a fully fit squad providing various attacking and defensive options we really so have everything we need to beat NZ. We just need to execute perfectly for 80mins while also adding the secret ingredient, passion. Hit them that much harder in the tackle, run that much faster, fight that little bit longer. Nothing can be left in the tank if we are to get through this. There can be no thoughts of saving something for the final. As far as those lads are concerned this is the final. Win it and you have an extra day to recover and go into the last match as the worlds No1 team. It's going to be a proper clash of ***ans.

I see there's already articles coming out about the list of coaches on Australia's radar to take over from Cheika, with Dave Rennie as the front runner...

Spot on depiction of Curry and Underhill there! :p

I'd worry bout Big Joe's defence against the highest scoring team... he gets caught out from time to time. That said, Ashton was great against them before, and he's a revolving door. Doesn't matter if they score if you score two.

That would be going like for like as far as speed and weight goes, but skill wise the ABs have better handling skills. Think keeping Billy creates more space for others as you need to stop him quickly. Maybe more of using him as decoy will be in order, same with Manu, leaving Makp and Sinckler to do the main carrying as their hands are better in the offload

That would be going like for like as far as speed and weight goes, but skill wise the ABs have better handling skills. Think keeping Billy creates more space for others as you need to stop him quickly. Maybe more of using him as decoy will be in order, same with Manu, leaving Makp and Sinckler to do the main carrying as their hands are better in the offload

Billy as a guard at the rucks with his brother just bring so much grunt to defence . one of the big reasons we we defend our line so well

I see there's already articles coming out about the list of coaches on Australia's radar to take over from Cheika, with Dave Rennie as the front runner...
I hope they don't rush it. We have a generation of gems coming through and we need a proper coach not another angry manchild.

Latest posts