• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 2] New Zealand vs. Ireland (19/10/2019)

ianFoster and razorRobertson have both named tonyBrown as their preferred assistant coach

Ah yes, Joseph is probably too big for an assistants role now anyway, I can imagine he likes being the big boss man knowing his personality too haha!

Robinson really needs to do a stint elsewhere Internationally before the job in my opinion. It's kinda like your internship if ya know what I mean.

I'd like Foster to take over. Joseph to come in as assistant, then taking over when Foster retires.
Robinson to do a stint overseas then return for an assistant job to Joseph, then Robinson eventually becoming head coach.
I think that's a good line of succession and also I'd like Tony Brown as backs coach at some point.

I like and respect Joe a lot as a coach, but he played a fairly safe brand with Ireland, couldn't see that working out for us.

Cotter ain't a bad shout either.

cant argue with it as a succession plan, just worried if we get two many in the "system" we're taking them away from super rugby

also something to be said for a clean break every so often so things dont get stale, do we clean shop when hansen goes and see what someone completely new can do, also remember Scott Mcleod already has a strong relationship with Joseph and Brown from their time with the highlanders together

cant argue with it as a succession plan, just worried if we get two many in the "system" we're taking them away from super rugby

also something to be said for a clean break every so often so things dont get stale, do we clean shop when hansen goes and see what someone completely new can do, also remember Scott Mcleod already has a strong relationship with Joseph and Brown from their time with the highlanders together

yeah the thing is they wont want to coach super rugby forever. I bet Robinson will already be getting itchy feet with his current position there isn't much more he can do and international sides and money'd up overseas clubs will be on his case.

it does seem like the pathway to being an All Blacks coach is to get in as an assistant. Foster may not have won a super rugby ***le but the years of international experience as a successful high level All Black coach IMO trump anything the other options bring. Maintaining the continuity of the successful coaching setup and team created and evolved from 2004 has to be a major priority.

I just rewatched this again and while maybe not super relevant I just wanted to say how much i loved all the interactions after the game.
Hand shakes from both teams are classy, no sore losers and very humble winners. All 3 officials involved in handshakes and banter.
A tunnel off the field for both teams with lots of attention for Best.
AB captain and coach bring up Rory and Joe leaving.
Rory not being able to speak for the noise in his interview and Joe bringing him up again in his.
Then Best Barrett crying talking about his grand dad dying that week.

I just realised I accidentally drunk 2 bottles of wine so maybe that's why I'm emotional but **** I love this game and everyone involved. They batter hell out of each other week in week out but are such top blokes. It's hard not to get caught up in all the social media and click bait but at the heart of it those involved in the actual game are so classy.

Sorry I kinda forgot what I was talking about half way through that.

yeah the thing is they wont want to coach super rugby forever. I bet Robinson will already be getting itchy feet with his current position there isn't much more he can do and international sides and money'd up overseas clubs will be on his case.

it does seem like the pathway to being an All Blacks coach is to get in as an assistant. Foster may not have won a super rugby ***le but the years of international experience as a successful high level All Black coach IMO trump anything the other options bring. Maintaining the continuity of the successful coaching setup and team created and evolved from 2004 has to be a major priority.
It makes sense to have some degree of continuity, some degree of something fresh.

I think Robertson is very unproven and it would be. Mistake to bring him in without retaining any of the current coaches. Robertson has simply not had the challenge of coaching a team to success that doesn't have the best players in the competition. The all blacks are always up there with some of the best players, but there is always a chance we have a patch where a few teams have better. He hasn't had to adapt his coaching tactics, in that sense he is incredibly inexperienced.

the highlanders coaches - brown, Joseph, McLeod - are very experienced, by contrast. They trialled several styles at the highlanders before getting it right, then have gone into various roles including the sunwolves and japan which required altogether new tactics again.

a transition period with foster head coach, brown and McLeod assisting, then potentially transitioning foster out for Joseph, gatland, Robertson (if he has some better experiwnce), or Rennie could work.

Schmidt in an advisory role would seem like a good idea for his lifestyle.

The biggest question for me is who will replace mike cron. He has been immense and we are going to need that continued technical focus for the forwards.

I just rewatched this again and while maybe not super relevant I just wanted to say how much i loved all the interactions after the game.
Hand shakes from both teams are classy, no sore losers and very humble winners. All 3 officials involved in handshakes and banter.
A tunnel off the field for both teams with lots of attention for Best.
AB captain and coach bring up Rory and Joe leaving.
Rory not being able to speak for the noise in his interview and Joe bringing him up again in his.
Then Best Barrett crying talking about his grand dad dying that week.

I just realised I accidentally drunk 2 bottles of wine so maybe that's why I'm emotional but **** I love this game and everyone involved. They batter hell out of each other week in week out but are such top blokes. It's hard not to get caught up in all the social media and click bait but at the heart of it those involved in the actual game are so classy.

Sorry I kinda forgot what I was talking about half way through that.

I'm with you mate, this is why rugby will always be the "thugs game" played by gentleman. The mana and spirit that goes into our games is special and unique only to our sport. Very proud of our teams humility and very proud of our sports spirit.

I'm just watching this match again. Good golly, Ireland were poor.
Yep. In the other thread people are saying how great the all blacks were while dismissing engl and because Australia were poor. But Ireland were worse than Australia. I'd be interested to see the error count

Today was a bit of a moral victory for those of us who looked like complete melons for picking Ireland in the QF. Ireland 2017 would have won this QF against AB 2019. I'm still really annoyed by this match!

Latest posts