• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 3] Wales vs. France (20/10/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

GP48PUg.png
j7lEIMe.png
Hc45KkY.png

Venue: Oita Stadium
Time: 09:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

This is the one QF I worry might be a bit of a damp squib, can't really see France challenging Wales to be honest, feel it might be a bit routine.

Hopefully that's tempted fate enough for France to pull their one WC miracle performance out the bag! Is Thierry Dusautoir in the squad?

This is the one QF I worry might be a bit of a damp squib, can't really see France challenging Wales to be honest, feel it might be a bit routine.

Hopefully that's tempted fate enough for France to pull their one WC miracle performance out the bag! Is Thierry Dusautoir in the squad?

Really? I think France have a real shot here. They are more rested than Wales. And Wales last 2 performances didn't really impress me all that much. They have been missing tackles and have shown a few lapses in discipline.

Really? I think France have a real shot here. They are more rested than Wales. And Wales last 2 performances didn't really impress me all that much. They have been missing tackles and have shown a few lapses in discipline.
I look forward to being made to look an idiot!

I'm not really sure how much rested is an advantage compared with maintaining momentum - my guess is whoever loses this game and NZ-Ire, some salty fans will be blaming not playing enough/playing too much either way!

I just feel France's performances have consistently fallen off a cliff in the second half the last year or so, whether that's fitness, bench depth or psychology I don't know but I can't see them playing well for long enough to make a game of it.

Think of it as classic English arrogance projected onto the Welsh or something

I think in terms of quality of rugby this one is the least I am looking forward to. Wales should win. I just don't see this France team have a plan or clue how to play.

Wales haven't looked particularly great in their last two matches but having watched Gatland teams turn up when they need to for over 15 years, I'm pretty confident Wales will have a different intensity about them in the QF (& beyond should we qualify).

People were saying we had next to no chance going into the England game this past 6 Nations on the back of two very mediocre performances away to France and Italy... and it was a different level when we knew we needed it.

Obviously, you never really have a clue when France are concerned, so nothing would surprise me... but I would have Wales as the most clear favourite across all the Quarter Finals.

Wales haven't looked particularly great in their last two matches but having watched Gatland teams turn up when they need to for over 15 years, I'm pretty confident Wales will have a different intensity about them in the QF (& beyond should we qualify).

People were saying we had next to no chance going into the England game this past 6 Nations on the back of two very mediocre performances away to France and Italy... and it was a different level when we knew we needed it.

Obviously, you never really have a clue when France are concerned, so nothing would surprise me... but I would have Wales as the most clear favourite across all the Quarter Finals.
Arrogant

It's in my blood
Apparently it's called 'smug' when a Welshman exhibits it but tomAto TOMaTO.

Seriously though... I never said we'd win, just that when all things are considered, the odds are probably in Wales favour to a larger degree than any of the other favourites in their respective QF's.

I could see France coming out of the gates strong, couple of tries in the first half, maybe even go in at halftime in front, but then Wales will just chip away at them and win pretty comfortably in the end.

Wales haven't looked great the last two games but they've got the mental fortitude to see out a game whereas France have all the attacking talent in the world but go to mush when pressure gets turned up.

Wales should win this....comfortably. But the French haven't put in a performance this tournament so far and they have a habit of winning world cup matches they really shouldn't.

Wales are good enough to win, they haven't played great past two games but one of those games were a Fiji side that turned over France at home less than a year ago. On paper the French team are very good, but in typical French fashion who knows what's going on with them. Potential match winners across the team but also potential match losers as well.

I look forward to being made to look an idiot!
We all enjoy that
I'm not really sure how much rested is an advantage compared with maintaining momentum - my guess is whoever loses this game and NZ-Ire, some salty fans will be blaming not playing enough/playing too much either way!
Add in England v Australia - and I'm one of those fans, regardless of the results, I'm already *****ing about it (though I'll try not to repeat myself too often)
I just feel France's performances have consistently fallen off a cliff in the second half the last year or so, whether that's fitness, bench depth or psychology I don't know but I can't see them playing well for long enough to make a game of it.
They have, but they only need about 20 minutes to put an opponent away. They've shown glimpses of that traditional, insane play that we all love to watch - it mostly comes down to how interested they are...

6 times out of 10, Wales win this one without too much trouble
1 time out of 10, Wales win a scrappy affair
1 time out of 10, France win, but no-one's quite sure how
1 time out of 10, France win with disciplined, structured play
1 time out of 10, the French fall in love, and there's no-one in the world who can live with them... it may only last for half an hour, but that's all they need.

6 times out of 10, Wales win this one without too much trouble
1 time out of 10, Wales win a scrappy affair
1 time out of 10, France win, but no-one's quite sure how
1 time out of 10, France win with disciplined, structured play
1 time out of 10, the French fall in love, and there's no-one in the world who can live with them... it may only last for half an hour, but that's all they need.
This is along the lines of the way I'm seeing it... roughly 70/30.

Well the simple fact is France should have won against Wales this year in the 6Ns. France absolutely threw it away and while Wales took their chances they were basically handed it on a plate. If France can play anything like they did in that first half and keep it up then they have a chance as Wales won't be as rusty at this point. However they've barely put together 20 minutes of consistent play in this tournament and I can't see them suddenly doing so. Wales will definitely have something to exploit.

Wales the biggest favourite of any of the quaterfinalists imo.
However if France have some off field tension (player mutiny, coach quits, captain and vice have a punch up etc...) then France become an unstoppable force for 80 minutes.

Wales the biggest favourite of any of the quaterfinalists imo.
However if France have some off field tension (player mutiny, coach quits, captain and vice have a punch up etc...) then France become an unstoppable force for 80 minutes.

Yeah, we know all about them (as I'm sure you do too). When we got them in a Semi Final in 2011, there was no way that I could see us losing as France were just so awful during that tourney... then, well they were still awful against us to be fair but sneaked a 1 point win... mostly I'd argue to being down to 14 men after 17 minutes. But that same France aside finally turned up against you guys in the final and should've won really.

Therefore I'm nowhere near as confident as I was facing them in 2011... but I'd have chosen to play France over all of the other QF's if I'd have had the choice. Pretty sure most fans from most countries would choose the same.

I think France might nick this. I reckon the rest will do them good, and the fact they missed out on a game against Les Rosbifs who'd they'd have really hyped themselves up for will have them foaming at the mouth come kickoff time and half an hour of Jouer could give them an unsurmountable lead.

That said if Wales score first they win. If they're within two scores at halftime they're still probably favourites too. But while I said Fiji are the one team Wales, or anyone, couldn't stop smashing through them with ease, France are a team that can go around anyone and they'll finish their chances more often than the Fijians.

I think France might nick this. I reckon the rest will do them good, and the fact they missed out on a game against Les Rosbifs who'd they'd have really hyped themselves up for will have them foaming at the mouth come kickoff time and half an hour of Jouer could give them an unsurmountable lead.

That said if Wales score first they win. If they're within two scores at halftime they're still probably favourites too. But while I said Fiji are the one team Wales, or anyone, couldn't stop smashing through them with ease, France are a team that can go around anyone and they'll finish their chances more often than the Fijians.
I still just can't see "Jouer" happening. When did we last see it?

Latest posts