• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 3] Wales vs. France (20/10/2019)

Hello there,
First time here. Still sad about yesterday but wanted to share thoughts with rugby fans from all over the world.
First of all, best of luck to Wales agains the Books. Wales is always my favorite team to support after ours (and whatever teams that plays agains England ;)) I thins Gatland speech was sincere and heartfelt, not fake fairplay. There's a kind of poetic justice after 2011 (though our unfair loss in the final is still hard to swallow).
About the game, all has already been said, the red card being 100% logical, the missed kicks by N'tamack (still young. we finally have huge Fly Half potential with him and Louis Carbonel or Matthieu Jalibert), the stupid choices (not putting another player from the back lines in the scrums, the one that was close to their line and the one that was close to ours) and yes some referee calls. To be honest, he was also bad in our favour at some points but, there are 2 things: on our second try, Liam Williams is smashing Dupont in the face on his last pass to Ollivon. No one saw it but on the video, it's obvious. Yellow card was mandatory here. Ugly. Finally, on the rip from Tomos Williams, the main issue is obviously him being offside rather than the knock-on, which is not obvious enough for me. As soon as the ball came in, he came ahead around Serin. There's no way he could have adapted the rip otherwise. Just wanted your thoughts on this.
I'm not trying to say we should have won as we clearly did our best to lose this one after some great tries (at last). Again, all the best to Wales, hopefully to the cup!
Bienvenu/Bienvenue... you're very gracious lost flair, and although we in no way deserve your support we'll bloody well take it :)... think we need everything we can get right now.

All the French fans *****ing about the HILARIOUS picture. Obviously pressured into it, but **** it, he's a human-being, being asked to take a once in a lifetime picture with rugby fans. If your passion is rugby, must be pretty **** to not even have a laugh.

As for people claiming Tomos Williams was offside before the rip, I don't think he was. As you can see below at 8.22 when the French player picks it up he is level with the ball. I think people are assuming it's offside as it the tackle Williams ends up the French side when he rips the ball.

As for people claiming Tomos Williams was offside before the rip, I don't think he was. As you can see below at 8.22 when the French player picks it up he is level with the ball. I think people are assuming it's offside as it the tackle Williams ends up the French side when he rips the ball.

If we're going to get technical then Williams has his hands on the French 8 while he's still in the scrum and seems to be in almost constant contact with the scrum with his legs knocking against the french legs as they are trying to scrum. Yes the french were under pressure, but it doesn't make it right and can't be helpful when your feet are getting tangled with the locks then you're interfering too much personally. Also the ball does not go backwards as some people on here are claiming. It moves towards the welsh try line while they are contesting it, but the actual rip part definitely does not go back. Does it go forward? I think it's closer than I originally thought, but I still think it goes marginally forward based on where the rip happens and where Tipuric catches it. However I can understand why it was given. What I'm not in doubt is that it's a very close call and I feel Peyper should have had a closer look. Also feel that it's a lucky try, not an earned try and that simply Wales got lucky.

The ball isn't out when the French player is still bound, it's when it's picked up. As the scrum is going backwards it looks like he's still in the scrum but he has the ball in his hands. I think the rip went forward too, i've just seen a lot of people complaining that Williams was offside but I don't think he was.

The ball isn't out when the French player is still bound, it's when it's picked up. As the scrum is going backwards it looks like he's still in the scrum but he has the ball in his hands. I think the rip went forward too, i've just seen a lot of people complaining that Williams was offside but I don't think he was.

I agree that he doesn't tackle and rip until the ball is in the French players hands, but his is grabbing his shirt and is almost a part of the scrum before that. The try was given, Wales won fair enough, but (not aimed at you Mike) people shouldn't be making it out it wasn't debatable and Wales weren't lucky to get it.

I agree that he doesn't tackle and rip until the ball is in the French players hands, but his is grabbing his shirt and is almost a part of the scrum before that. The try was given, Wales won fair enough, but (not aimed at you Mike) people shouldn't be making it out it wasn't debatable and Wales weren't lucky to get it.
Honestly, maybe I've missed the comments (entirely possible as I don't comment during Wales games and then try to quickly catch up after the final whistle) but are you talking about posters on here or just people on social media etc?

All the French fans *****ing about the HILARIOUS picture. Obviously pressured into it, but **** it, he's a human-being, being asked to take a once in a lifetime picture with rugby fans. If your passion is rugby, must be pretty **** to not even have a laugh.

Yeah, Nah...
Doing that almost immediately after the game coupled with some dubious calls during the game really doesn't say much about his personality or professionalism.

As for the French fans not being able to "have a laugh" how much chuckling were you doing in 2007, enough to see photo's of Wayne Barnes doing his forward pass imitations with French fans on the way home from the game?
Somehow I think not, it is perfectly understandable that the French supporters would be a bit irritated by that.

Honestly, maybe I've missed the comments (entirely possible as I don't comment during Wales games and then try to quickly catch up after the final whistle) but are you talking about posters on here or just people on social media etc?

Mix, mainly BigArena claiming everyone who said it was forward is biased wearing rose-tinted glasses. I don't mind if he disagrees, but just because others think it's forward doesn't mean that they are biased.

Mix, mainly BigArena claiming everyone who said it was forward is biased wearing rose-tinted glasses. I don't mind if he disagrees, but just because others think it's forward doesn't mean that they are biased.
Fair enough... it was definitely debatable at the very least. As I said, must've missed the comments which stated otherwise. What's done is done but I would have felt a little hard done by if I were French.

Fair enough... it was definitely debatable at the very least. As I said, must've missed the comments which stated otherwise. What's done is done but I would have felt a little hard done by if I were French.

I agree. I will admit that if the shoe was on the other foot I would take it as an England supporter, but I would also admit we got lucky.

Yeah, Nah...
Doing that almost immediately after the game coupled with some dubious calls during the game really doesn't say much about his personality or professionalism.

As for the French fans not being able to "have a laugh" how much chuckling were you doing in 2007, enough to see photo's of Wayne Barnes doing his forward pass imitations with French fans on the way home from the game?
Somehow I think not, it is perfectly understandable that the French supporters would be a bit irritated by that.

Big difference between a marginal call and a blatant act of foul play.

Yeah, Nah...

Agreed. In the end, it's no big deal. The defeat is what stings me the most, not Jaco doing this. Still, I'm sure a real professional wouldn't do that. And it's not a stolen picture at the bar. He took the time to make it.

Latest posts