• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 3] Wales vs. France (20/10/2019)

Maks Van Dyk has received his French passport. But real issue is Maks a test player? He is not. He's 3rd choice at Toulouse and he's 27. Good league player but behind Slimani, Bamba (22), Setiano (21) and Aldegheri (23) the last 3 have been capped in last 12 mths. So unless he raises his game considerably (possible) and there's lots of injuries at TH it'll be hard for him to get selected.

With the JIFF system in Top 14 teams must have 14 JIFF players **on match day**. And non-Jiffs are limited to 16 players in the entire squad.
This goes up to 16 Jiffs for match day and no more than 14 non jiffs next season.
17 Jiffs on match day and no more than 13 non jiffs for season 2021-2022.

Don't know how 9 out of 55 is 'a lot'? that's 16% of the entire squad. Montpellier have 35 French players. And among the 14 new pro contracts showing on their website 11 are French.
JIFF? - I can guess the sentiment, but what does it stand for?

Maks Van Dyk has received his French passport. But real issue is Maks a test player? He is not. He's 3rd choice at Toulouse and he's 27. Good league player but behind Slimani, Bamba (22), Setiano (21) and Aldegheri (23) the last 3 have been capped in last 12 mths. So unless he raises his game considerably (possible) and there's lots of injuries at TH it'll be hard for him to get selected.

With the JIFF system in Top 14 teams must have 14 JIFF players **on match day**. And non-Jiffs are limited to 16 players in the entire squad.
This goes up to 16 Jiffs for match day and no more than 14 non jiffs next season.
17 Jiffs on match day and no more than 13 non jiffs for season 2021-2022.

Don't know how 9 out of 55 is 'a lot'? that's 16% of the entire squad. Montpellier have 35 French players. And among the 14 new pro contracts showing on their website 11 are French.

Thanks for the detail FF, it does support the suggestion most of these guys are going over to be club players with no immediate aspirations of playing for France when they are still eligible for SA.

But imagine if clubs in SR had up to 16% of their players being French. I dont think you'd be doing cartwheels of joy and I think you'd consider it 'a lot' if you ended up having to watch less talented French players in the Top14.

Thanks for the detail FF, it does support the suggestion most of these guys are going over to be club players with no immediate aspirations of playing for France when they are still eligible for SA.

But imagine if clubs in SR had up to 16% of their players being French. I dont think you'd be doing cartwheels of joy and I think you'd consider it 'a lot' if you ended up having to watch less talented French players in the Top14.

well, if memory serves correct, there has only been 2 french players playing Super Rugby, Thierry Lacroix and Freddy Michalak.

oh and Scott Spedding and Rory Kockott, when they were still Saffas.

Latest posts