• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 3] Wales vs. France (20/10/2019)

Yeah I don't agree with looking at that record. SA had been at their lowest point during that period and I am pretty sure most of those matches were played in Cardiff? This SA team is a very different proposition
True, but it also helps the mindset of a team if they've beaten them a few recently.

True, but it also helps the mindset of a team if they've beaten them a few recently.
You only have to look at the Oz vs Wales history to understand that. We just couldn't beat them regardless of how deep into the 70's and sometimes past the 80th minute.

No doubt the Boks are as good as they've been for a long time right now but the vast majority of those players have tasted a fair few defeats to Wales.

Having said all that though, if that's the semi we end up getting... I'd put Wales as slight underdogs.

Wales tend to steadily improve as tournaments progress, raising their level when they need to. They've worked hard on their mentality & ability to handle pressure, which had previously been a huge issue for years. However, France are more than capable of winning if they bring their A game. The truth is there is little to choose between the top 5/6 sides in the world, with the possible exception of NZ.

Wales have won one knockout game out of six in the pro era so I'm not sure where this claim comes from?

Wales have won one knockout game out of six in the pro era so I'm not sure where this claim comes from?
Fair point, I think DG is more referring to our 6 Nations performances (which I'll give you is a different format to a World Cup) where for the most part our performances steadily improve through out the competition.

Also we have obviously only had three knock out games under Gatland thus far, which he may have only won one of them but I'd argue that there were some pretty significant extenuating circumstances. Namely 17 minute red card of peak Warburton against France during the semi final in 2011 and a vastly depleted squad to choose from against the Boks in the quarter final 2015. And still, both matches were very close contests.

Not excuses, just filling in some grey areas around your statement.

The French have too many good players for me to get too confident. If they can put together 30min of good rugby without handing us the win during the remaining 50, then there's every chance that will be enough.

I'm very concerned that our scrum will hand France a steady stream of penalties throughout. I honestly believe this will be our achilles heel this WC in one off the next (up to) 3 games. It could give France territory and possession, and force us to defend a lot. Don't want to be defending for too long v Vakatawa, Fikou, Penaud and Raka!

Sounds like Penaud's not been in training. Good news for Wales I guess but a bit gutted as a spectator, he's a wonderful player to watch.

Sounds like Penaud's not been in training. Good news for Wales I guess but a bit gutted as a spectator, he's a wonderful player to watch.
Yeah he is real good, still... probably Raka to replace him so I'm not sure which is worse from a Welsh perspective.

I can totally understand people not being as excited for this game (outside of Wales and France). I hate to say it but we have become boring to watch... which pretty much 100% of Welsh rugby fans don't care about. Every team will always take winning ugly over losing.
But I really appreciate 'good' rugby. The Japanse team have re-ignited my love for this game by the way they play - with passion and running. Watch how little possession they kick away compared to Wales. They trust and back themselves.

For that reason, I couldn't blame a neutral for not wanting Wales to progress. I'd be bored watching that style of play myself.
That said, whilst France are capable of exciting rugby, Wales are also more than capable of just the same. Unfortunatley we might have to wait for Mr Pivac at the helm to see some of that.

Liam Williams is hoping for a world cup win to add to his european champions cup win, premiership win and 6N win. Not a bad year i suppose :)

Wales are boring but tbh so were sarries, they built solid foundations in defence and kicking game and built on it to improve their brand of rugby. Thats what i expect Wales to do. Wont help them this tournement but a boring winning brand of rugby isnt a bad place to start.

Saying that, this is the game im least looking forward too. I genuinly think they will try the dropgoals as vs Aus because building a score vs France may be all they need to do given they have a strong defence

If I were Welsh I'd be a bit worried about what Vakatawa and likely Raka bring. They aren't Radrada but they aren't a million miles away. Wales missed more tackles against Fiji than I think I've ever seen under an Edwards defence. The French don't have Volavola to let the Welsh off the hook and their pack will be more than functional. I suspect this is going to be a close run thing.

Well the simple fact is France should have won against Wales this year in the 6Ns. France absolutely threw it away and while Wales took their chances they were basically handed it on a plate. If France can play anything like they did in that first half and keep it up then they have a chance as Wales won't be as rusty at this point. However they've barely put together 20 minutes of consistent play in this tournament and I can't see them suddenly doing so. Wales will definitely have something to exploit.
Well the simple fact is France should have won against Wales this year in the 6Ns. France absolutely threw it away and while Wales took their chances they were basically handed it on a plate. If France can play anything like they did in that first half and keep it up then they have a chance as Wales won't be as rusty at this point. However they've barely put together 20 minutes of consistent play in this tournament and I can't see them suddenly doing so. Wales will definitely have something to exploit.
Something I think I have noticed, with the caveat that people are great at noticing things that aren't there, is that everyone who plays domestic rugby in France is unfit. Perhaps they play too much rugby. I think this could be a big problem for France at the moment because they typically rely on French flair to pull performances out of the hat, but you need fitness to execute 80 minutes of that type of rugby.

The danger for us is we have been nursing players back from injury and France have had a nice 2 week break to be focused on this fixture. The flip side to that is we are more than battle hardened and the French not tested bit most recently scraped past a poor Argentina team and didn't show much verses Tonga...

Parity up front will be interesting as both sides haven't really dominated in that area and again this will be hugely important for both sides, I do favour us in the set piece over France , I think they are more prone to making incorrect calls and generally being more inaccurate and erratic just due to the mentality of some of those players and the general unrest that seems to exist in camp

I know there's that game from the 6 nations and yeah France were 16 points to the good at half time but I just dont see us making that same mistake , that was an opening game and a bit sloppy out the blocks and even then we won with a little help . I just think Wales will have the mentality , gameplan and confidence to win this , I see France having their Hollywood moments but that being said I do expect a win here and if we have any aspirations of making a first WC final then we really should be beating this team.

I can totally understand people not being as excited for this game (outside of Wales and France). I hate to say it but we have become boring to watch... which pretty much 100% of Welsh rugby fans don't care about. Every team will always take winning ugly over losing.
But I really appreciate 'good' rugby. The Japanse team have re-ignited my love for this game by the way they play - with passion and running. Watch how little possession they kick away compared to Wales. They trust and back themselves.

For that reason, I couldn't blame a neutral for not wanting Wales to progress. I'd be bored watching that style of play myself.
That said, whilst France are capable of exciting rugby, Wales are also more than capable of just the same. Unfortunatley we might have to wait for Mr Pivac at the helm to see some of that.

AHH I'm not sure we are that boring mate jeez , that Australia v Wales game was pretty darn exciting for the neutral (but heart attack for me) wouldn't you say? .. I just think the whole boring analogy is based on us having such a strong defensive tactic. We score some pretty decent highlight reel tries and can have some moments of champagne rugby , bit vitally unless your the ABs you do need a fine balance of both defensive and attacking tactics it's what enabled us to win another GS and go on that streak .

Something I think I have noticed, with the caveat that people are great at noticing things that aren't there, is that everyone who plays domestic rugby in France is unfit. Perhaps they play too much rugby. I think this could be a big problem for France at the moment because they typically rely on French flair to pull performances out of the hat, but you need fitness to execute 80 minutes of that type of rugby.

I agree that the French don't look the fittest squad in the WC. However it's more than that. They literally go from one extreme to the other. Dunno if you've watched the France vs Wales game in the 6N, but the two North tries are from errors that shouldn't happen at international level. In the second one, there was no need to play expansively and risky. All France needed to do was keep it tight and play in Wales' half and then they throw a ridiculous pass like that. All throughout the World cup they've had moments of excellence and then some complete rubbish as well and it's not just at the end of the games. I still think they are a team of individuals and rely more on individual brilliance than a set team plan.

AHH I'm not sure we are that boring mate jeez , that Australia v Wales game was pretty darn exciting for the neutral (but heart attack for me) wouldn't you say? .. I just think the whole boring analogy is based on us having such a strong defensive tactic. We score some pretty decent highlight reel tries and can have some moments of champagne rugby , bit vitally unless your the ABs you do need a fine balance of both defensive and attacking tactics it's what enabled us to win another GS and go on that streak .

Completely agreed. Remember back in 2003 thinking that the England team of that year were such a boring team to watch, but did anyone care once they did the job? Not one bit. I love running rugby but I can also appreciate a less showy, more strategic approach. Like you said though, the Australia game was great and Josh Adams is joint top try scorer of the tournament so far, so we can't be doing that badly. It's certainly a level above our 6N campaign if you ask me.

I didn't find the 2003 team ever boring to watch. How quickly people forget what that team did and playing style.

Wales are a solid team at the moment, not flamboyant but they keep getting the job done, I don't find watching wales boring either.

I didn't find the 2003 team ever boring to watch. How quickly people forget what that team did and playing style.

Wales are a solid team at the moment, not flamboyant but they keep getting the job done, I don't find watching wales boring either.
England of '02 & '03 certainly weren't 'boring' (subjective judgement) until they got to the World Cup and then there is no doubt they 'tightened' up a little. Don't get me wrong, this is not me having a pop... I place them winning the World Cup while going in as clear favourites as high as any sporting achievement gets but there is no doubt they played less 'rugby' on the way to that ***le. And I don't begrudge them that one bit neither.

Well we are in knockout stages now, it will be an exciting spectacle (hopefully) for everyone, but the rugby we play isn't the best. We have built our game plan around defense and hope to capitalise on opposition mistakes.
Don't get me wrong, Im loving it from a Welsh perspective of where we are, just hope we have a few tricks up our sleeves in case the gameplan isnt working. It's the best team we could have hoped to play in the 1/4s. I wouldn't even fancy Japan ATM the way they are playing

Latest posts