• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 4] Japan vs. South Africa (20/10/2019)

@Jer1cho yea you are right that if Japan wins then we have a nice minnow run to support to the final.
I think that many South Africans are reserving judgment so that they dont fall flat on their face if Japan wins and they made a overly confident statement. I on the other hand came out with the first post and said we are going to smash them, am i regreting this? Maybe. Do i still believe we are going to smash them? yup. I have put it all on the line, if Japan wins this then i clearly know nothing about rugby and will delete my Superbru account.

Springboks – 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (c), 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.
Subs: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 RG Snyman, 20 Franco Mostert, 21 Francois Louw, 22 Herschel Jantjies, 23 Frans Steyn

Springboks – 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (c), 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.
Subs: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 RG Snyman, 20 Franco Mostert, 21 Francois Louw, 22 Herschel Jantjies, 23 Frans Steyn
What happened to Rassie springing a suprise ?

He always said he would stick to his team. Oh well. Let's hope they don't disappoint. Faf needs a worldie of a game.

A small pity Rassie didn't make a few changes to account for form but I guess he's earned our trust at this point.
I'd start Reinach and Sbu, otherwise the team is fine.

Last edited:
So no surprizes. He must be pretty confident that his a team will do the best job. Happy to see he went with the 6/2 split on the bench. I hope Japan's forwards are ready for the tussle.

Oh, you're 100% right that my post was about emotion over intelligence... I picked the 'Boks to win it all before the thing started, but this amazing run... if Japan wins this weekend, I think they run the table. If SA win, I'm sticking by my original prediction.

(Obviously I'm 'sticking by' my predictions regardless, it's not like I can take them back)

If Japan wins this weekend, how scared is whatever next team faces them? Can you imagine the pressure? The home crowd support nearing all-time levels?

Wow. I can't WAIT for this weekend!
Yeah, I have to be honest Dave... 'if' Wales beat France, I'm honestly not sure who I'd rather Wales play in the Semi. Sure the Bok power is dangerous... but so is that Japanese 'rugby'. I honestly can't wait.

I know that teams are more then just the sum of their parts, but how many Japanese players would make a combined South Africa - Japan XV?

I know that teams are more then just the sum of their parts, but how many Japanese players would make a combined South Africa - Japan XV?
Quite a few have a shot honestly.
Matshushima certainly, Lafaele in with a chance, Mafia, Himeno and Leitch are pretty world class, Tamura maybe to replace Jantjies, so that's already a decent number off the top of my head.
Noone in the tight 5 however.

Quite a few have a shot honestly.
Matshushima certainly, Lafaele in with a chance, Mafia, Himeno and Leitch are pretty world class, Tamura maybe to replace Jantjies, so that's already a decent number off the top of my head.
Noone in the tight 5 however.
No Horie?

not following the trend by trying changing centre combinations, bummer, I miss Brok Harris at centre (Stormers inside joke)

Exactly the team I thought Rassie will choose
He will not pick Reinach based on one good show against weak opposition
He has faith In Willie
and Faf, well I hope he wakes him up or change his game plan as Faf's execution has been pisspoor

Still say Boks by 20+, one game too far for the Japs

Last edited:
Yeah a part is hoping Faf's kicking to date is nothing but a kind of red herring or practice or something of the sort. We should get past Japan regardless though could complicate it unnecessarily but that's about it as far as our involvement will go if our kicking in general doesn't improve significantly.

We are now making history full of confidence.
We have reached the next level at this tournament.
We are refing our offloading as our strong point.

Japanese fans support our national team together as one.
I am looking forward to Matsushima and Himeno,especially.
Surprisingly audience rating of the game of Japan vs Scotland reached 40%!
This is the highest this year in Japan.
There is a possibility that again we will do Brighton Miracle as Tokyo Miracle, I believe.

The winter, not the spring is getting nearer and nearer ,but brave blossoms are now in high season!

There is a possibility that again we will do Brighton Miracle as Tokyo Miracle, I believe
There is a possibility that again we will do the warm up game two weeks prior to the tournament, just this time in Tokyo, I believe

Tongue in cheek comment above, we wish you all the best and I have not yet heard a single South African not happy for the Japanese nation and team getting this far
As our coach Rassie said "Love the country, love the people, even love the way they play the game; but this week we are enemies, just this week"

May the best team win

There is a possibility that again we will do the warm up game two weeks prior to the tournament, just this time in Tokyo, I believe

Tongue in cheek comment above, we wish you all the best and I have not yet heard a single South African not happy for the Japanese nation and team getting this far
As our coach Rassie said "Love the country, love the people, even love the way they play the game; but this week we are enemies, just this week"

May the best team win

I am sorry if I may offend you by what I said.
Of course I respect all teams.

May the good match on Sunday.

Latest posts