• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Semi-Final 2] Wales vs. South Africa (27/10/2019)

The Boks do like to announce their team early don't they? Even though they don't need to until tomorrow. I suppose they have nothing to hide.

The Boks do like to announce their team early don't they? Even though they don't need to until tomorrow. I suppose they have nothing to hide.

I think it's more about it being a formality for them. Why delay something when you know what you want to do and who you're gonna play. No need to beat around the bush.

Pity about Kolbe but Nkosi is perfectly fine. Very much a George North type player. Doubt anyone in Wales even knows who he is. Could be a blessing in disguise.

Pity about Kolbe but Nkosi is perfectly fine. Very much a George North type player. Doubt anyone in Wales even knows who he is. Could be a blessing in disguise.

Shhhh... Don't tell them, they don't need to know about him. And they shouldn't watch that Argentina game...

"If we try and beat South Africa at the scrum and lineouts, and try and arm-wrestle them, I think we will lose. - Jamie Roberts
Luckily they have their blistering attack to fall back on...
I guess kicking to compete is their game plan?
Biggar and Williams are both excellent in the air, to be fair to them

Luckily they have their blistering attack to fall back on...
I guess kicking to compete is their game plan?
Biggar and Williams are both excellent in the air, to be fair to them

Nkosi is the best under the high ball in SA. Hence why this could be a masterstroke. Either way the kicking battle will be fascinating, before the 100th one at least.

Sigh..

Le Roux at fullback when he hasn't shown form after several games.

I expect Wales to bomb him with 10 to 15 high balls so that they can win attacking scrums from his knock-ons.

Otherwise the team is fine, Faf has improved, but his constant box-kicking is something else that Gatland will look to profit from with all the extra possession Wales will get from him.

Same team pretty much.
Would LOVE to see some sort of change around Willie but I think it's probably just too far in to make such a big change, we'll likely keep this team until the final.

At the very least I was hoping for a 5/3 bench split.

No reason to postpone naming our lineup- everyone knows whats coming. Beef up front, pace out wide. Good at the set piece, rush defense and we will try to dominate the collisions. Question is how well will Wales handle what they know is coming and will we be accurate in converting our strengths into points for once while at the same time, how well will we handle Wales' kicking game. Nkosi in there means we loss nothing WRT Kolbe IMO though would've been nice to have both on the field. IF our own kicking can improve (both in play and at goal) I think its ours to lose. Lots of IFs though..

Kolbe is a loss, but N'Kosi is still a great player. The way the Boks play I don't think it will make too much difference.

No reason to postpone naming our lineup- everyone knows whats coming. Beef up front, pace out wide. Good at the set piece, rush defense and we will try to dominate the collisions. Question is how well will Wales handle what they know is coming and will we be accurate in converting our strengths into points for once while at the same time, how well will we handle Wales' kicking game. Nkosi in there means we loss nothing WRT Kolbe IMO though would've been nice to have both on the field. IF our own kicking can improve (both in play and at goal) I think its ours to lose. Lots of IFs though..

Yup. And based on what Faf said in the press conference, we will be playing the same way we did against Japan. It's up to Wales to take it on the chin and try and ride it out.

it will put pressure on Le Roux if N'Kosi has a good game and Kolbe is fit for the final

it will put pressure on Le Roux if N'Kosi has a good game and Kolbe is fit for the final

The pressure is already on Willie. But we have 2 other guys that's not even in the 23 that will replace him should he have another shocker (which I don't think he'll have)...

Nkosi is such a handy replacement to have, and this time he is on his favoured wing, so I'm stoked for him. Like Heineken mentioned, he is probably the best under the high ball in SA.

I'm probably dreaming but it would great to have Mapimpi, Nkosi, Kolbe as the back 3 if we get to the final...

I was thinking the exact same thing if Nkosi has a blinder and Willie is poor it might force Rassie to pick Kolbe at 15 if he is fit and the Boks do progress to the final.

I was thinking the exact same thing if Nkosi has a blinder and Willie is poor it might force Rassie to pick Kolbe at 15 if he is fit and the Boks do progress to the final.
The problem with this is I don't think Kolbe is a like for like replacement and we'd have to rethink our a lot of our strategy to do this.

Basically when we do decide to go through a few phases we bring in Willie from the back to be the secondary play maker and try and make stuff happen, often he's erratic and messes things up but it does result in quite a few tries for us. I'm not sure Kolbe could fit that role, as he's more of a ballrunning player, it would have to be Gelant or Willemse for my mind, moving Kolbe to 15 isn't really an option.

Edit: and since we are seeing the 6/2 split again and no Willemse or Gelant I think it's fair to say that Willie will play 80 minutes in any other World Cup games where the Springboks are involved, unless he get's injured

D'u know what... I thought he was completely past it too but then he played in a couple of last autumns November Internationals (loads of injuries at the time I think) and he shocked the **** outta me by looking great.

If he could have put half a season together he would have gone over shingler and I dont think we would be worrying as much over the bok physicality or our backrow.....

Nkosi is such a handy replacement to have, and this time he is on his favoured wing, so I'm stoked for him. Like Heineken mentioned, he is probably the best under the high ball in SA.

I'm probably dreaming but it would great to have Mapimpi, Nkosi, Kolbe as the back 3 if we get to the final...

That is just an insane deadly back 3 combo

Yup. And based on what Faf said in the press conference, we will be playing the same way we did against Japan. It's up to Wales to take it on the chin and try and ride it out.

6 months ago I would have been happy with that scenario as they were fine tuned at soaking up the pressure. Now with quite a leaking defence that game plan is massively flawed but not sure if they can change it up. Being underdogs is what often lifts Wales and makes them dig deeper which is all I can hope.

If the Bok win then I hope they go on to lift the trophy...... makes for a better Lions tour then!

Latest posts