• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][The Final] England vs. South Africa (02/11/2019)

Odd how some can construct alternative narratives that are positive for their teams and negative for others.

That is the natural way of things I suppose.

I do think Wales, even with their injuries (without, another counterfactul?) would have had a decent shot at England in the final and I think may well have won, although by less than SA. Only my opinion...

There has been lots of bemoaning of late buses, injury to Sinckler (ah the luxury on one solitary injury)

It is human nature, as is unconscious bias.
I disagree that Wales would have won had they got to the final,(i respect your opinion i just disagree with it).

Wales did have the physicality to put us on the back foot physically or dominate the scrum. So their weapon would be the kicking game and if they went wide we would adopt same tactics vs NZ shooting out down. Now nerves would be felt on both sides but with some players missing i just think england would have it. But again just my opinion.

I just watched the Off the Ball bit where they talk about SA winning. It is absolutely pathetic. The doping culture? SA winning is bad for Rugby? The 'I can't wait for the Etsabeth trial', SA were boring and won because England were bad more than SA were good? . I watched the BOD one as well. My dislike for the Irish Rugby pundits has now sky rocketed. What a bunch of bitter sour *****. They can all **** right off quite honestly. Completely opposite reaction to the English and NZ media who had nothing but good things to say. Sorry Ireland but you are right at the top of my crap list now.

Ger Gilroy you are a POES.

Last edited:
I just watched the Off the Ball bit where they talk about SA winning. It is absolutely pathetic. The doping culture? SA winning is bad for Rugby? The 'I can't wait for the Etsabeth trial', SA were boring and won because England were bad more than SA were good? . I watched the BOD one as well. My dislike for the Irish Rugby pundits has now sky rocketed. What a bunch of bitter sour *****. They can all **** right off quite honestly. Completely opposite reaction to the English and NZ media who had nothing but good things to say. Sorry Ireland but you are right at the top of my crap list now.

Just laugh at them :)

Tbh off the ball are ******* awful. It's like someone saw Wales online and went hold my Guinness and turned the idiocy up to 11. This is the same lot who said get used to being superior and not a single England player would get into the Ireland squad. We have Matt Dawson, the Irish have that.

SA may not have been the most interesting but they were clinical and the criticism of boring rugby is the last card someone can play when all other excuses are exhausted.

Tbh off the ball are ******* awful. It's like someone saw Wales online and went hold my Guinness and turned the idiocy up to 11. This is the same lot who said get used to being superior and not a single England player would get into the Ireland squad. We have Matt Dawson, the Irish have that.

SA may not have been the most interesting but they were clinical and the criticism of boring rugby is the last card someone can play when all other excuses are exhausted.

Their name says it all. Some people just like to stir.

Can you share the video? They seem to post 30 videos a day

No one here likes them either, relax.

Can you share the video? They seem to post 30 videos a day

The one with BOD and the one with Ronan o Gara are just as sour. But this one in particular really smacks of patheticness.

The real fun is at the end. Around 16min.

No one here likes them either, relax.

BOD and O Gara were just as crap. Does no one like them either?

The biggest thing that ticks me off is after England beat NZ everyone went mad. Oh best performance ever. Could this be the best England team? World Class. Bla Bla Bla. Then we do exactly the same to England in the final and this is the reaction. We lost once this entire year, yet it's as if we were handed everything on a platter and aren't really the best team. Bunch of sour grapes from everywhere.

Last edited:
@Jer1cho , its fine to watch those types of foreign pod casts designed for the narrow section of their market but you must balance that out. Here, watching fat men run does it for me. I'll throw in some gazzle-like Kolbe but we all know Os at full tilt is more pleasing to the eye:

@Jer1cho , its fine to watch those types of foreign pod casts designed for the narrow section of their market but you must balance that out. Here, watching fat men run does it for me. I'll throw in some gazzle-like Kolbe but we all know Os at full tilt is more pleasing to the eye

Damn I love me some tributes. Real Rugby is awesome. The Habana one is so good, and the Lomu one as well. Habana was a freaking phenomenon and I still rate him as the best player we have ever produced in this country, and the best winger of all time alongside Lomu. This one is my kettle though, and absolute favorite player by a country mile. The tackle on Todd at 6:10 is a thing of absolute beauty!

Hasn't O'Gara just come out and said England should've made an excuse to take Cole off and go uncontested in the scrums?

Then we do exactly the same to England in the final and this is the reaction. We lost once this entire year, yet it's as if we were handed everything on a platter and aren't really the best team. Bunch of sour grapes from everywhere.
First off, you won the world cup you are the best team anyone suggesting otherwise is wrong.

The bit I highlighted is incorrect though you didn't do the exact same thing to England. Both matches played out slightly differently especially in their opening exchanges, England scored a try with quite attacking play within 2 minutes. England than shut down the AB's attack for the subsequent 78 minutes. With the AB's only points coming in the 57th minute due to an exceptionally poor English lineout.

Conversely in the final SA did not get on the score board until 10 minutes, England committed many unenforced handling errors where their weekness in the scum was exploited that allowed SA to get a lead. However this did not extend beyond a score until the 66th miniuite and at one stage had an opportunity to be reduced to 3. SA admitted dominance over the game did not show until 66th when Mapimpi scored a try.

SA by far had dominant win over England absolutely no doubt of that and deserved. As dominant as England's win over NZ? I'm unconvinced. I think its the unenforced errors that is the difference England made mistakes that allowed SA to gain an advantage in the game, NZ did not similar mistakes in their game.

Hasn't O'Gara just come out and said England should've made an excuse to take Cole off and go uncontested in the scrums?
If Marler hadn't sured up the scrum, yes they should of and probably would of done.....almost certainly cheating but I've seen it happen plenty of times.

The biggest thing that ticks me off is after England beat NZ everyone went mad.
Not everyone. I started to watch The Breakdown a few weeks back and they went radio silent after the semi final, came back a couple of days ago noshing off South Africa.

As players? Beloved. As pundits? Nope.
I like BOD on OTB or whenever he's on Irish media. He plays a bit too far to the audience on English telly (primarily Heino rugby on TV) in my experience though.

If anyone is getting offended by BOD's interview, I haven't listened to the others but would guess ROG was similar, it's because they came wanting to hear about how SA are head and shoulders above everyone else in the world and it didn't happen. He offered great analysis, avoided the drug question that OTB asked desperate for a sound bite, even said that he doesn't think any other country could play the rugby SA does and be successful. It wasn't sour at all, it was just someone who didn't care all that much about the game or the nations playing, nothing wrong with that.

If South Africans want to listen to media gushing over their team I'd suggest South African media and unrelated but I'd also suggest never listening to anything where Gilroy gives an opinion, unless you want to hear about GAA or golf, he's still a dick but one that kinda knows what he's on about.

Edit: Listened to ROG. Again, fell short of gushing over SA, had a few hot takes too which I disagreed with but definitely not sour. Why would any Irish pundit be sour? We were so far below the level required this tournament and everyone in Irish rugby media, even the IRFU sycophants, have said it. About 60% of the Irish I spoke to wanted SA to win as well.

Last edited:
First off, you won the world cup you are the best team anyone suggesting otherwise is wrong.

The bit I highlighted is incorrect though you didn't do the exact same thing to England. Both matches played out slightly differently especially in their opening exchanges, England scored a try with quite attacking play within 2 minutes. England than shut down the AB's attack for the subsequent 78 minutes. With the AB's only points coming in the 57th minute due to an exceptionally poor English lineout.

Conversely in the final SA did not get on the score board until 10 minutes, England committed many unenforced handling errors where their weekness in the scum was exploited that allowed SA to get a lead. However this did not extend beyond a score until the 66th miniuite and at one stage had an opportunity to be reduced to 3. SA admitted dominance over the game did not show until 66th when Mapimpi scored a try.

SA by far had dominant win over England absolutely no doubt of that and deserved. As dominant as England's win over NZ? I'm unconvinced. I think its the unenforced errors that is the difference England made mistakes that allowed SA to gain an advantage in the game, NZ did not similar mistakes in their game.
England made the same amount of handling errors (11) in the final as NZ made in the semi-final. Can't say how many were unforced though.

Also England and NZ scored a try each whilst England scored zero to South Africa's two.

The stats don't back your stance.

England made the same amount of handling errors (11) in the final as NZ made in the semi-final. Can't say how many were unforced though.

Also England and NZ scored a try each whilst England scored zero to South Africa's two.

Someone I was listening to on podcast (can't rememeber which) made the point that some of England's handling errors, although apparently unforced, probably stemmed from the added pressure that any mistake which led to a scrum ulitimately led to 3 points.

Tries? Well I would still say one of the ones chalked off was debatable, and make that mistake with a lineout throw anywhere else and New Zealand leave the field with zero scored.

I'm not saying it's the sole reason (or any reason), but how much of South Africa's tries were down to England abandoning any idea of a game plan and hitting the panic button.

Last edited:

The stats you quoted are meaningless in regards to determining a dominant performance are are a complete misuse of stats.

I'll take your try's as an example,

First off it doesn't take the context of how the try's were scored, England scored zero against SA, great clear defensive greatness by SA.
But is it puts equal foot of both trys in the Eng V NZ as indicative of performance. It would take some very hard leaps of logic to suggest the ABs try was anything but a gift and the Eng one wasn't well worked by the English attack.

Then there's the missing parts of your data, time score, PD at time scored.
England's try came in the 2nd minute creating a 7 point lead immediately putting pressure on the AB at the start of the game. Conversely the ABs try was scored in the 57th but only put pressure on that it was less then a converted try this pressure lasted 5 minuites.

In the final SA's first try didn't come until the 66th minuite and was the first time SA was more than converted try difference apart from England. The second try came when England were under huge pressure because of the point differential and time remaining.

See saying 1try V 1 try and 2 trys V 0 trys doesn't even begin to tell the full story.

Different game pressures, different scoring times, it all goes into the mix. Try ti use the most basic of numbers doesn't even begin to paint the picture of the match.

I'm happy to say that was better performance by England against the ABs than the 2012 match despite England scoring less and the score diffrence being smaller. Because I watch rugby and understand basic things like score don't always reflect the complete story of the match.

Latest posts