• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][The Final] England vs. South Africa (02/11/2019)

Yet the Irish posters on here say they don't agree with what's been said, that those views aren't their own, but you say hogwash and that those views are those of the Irish.

Hmm, curious.

I didn't say that. Again putting words in my mouth. What I said was all the nagitive things I saw or read all came from the Irish outlets. Video shows, and articles. Different people, from the same place. I said THEIR views are hogwash. Like I said,

What I read, and what I watched, from various sources, I deem as hogwash. All those sources, I guess completely coincidentally, are from the same country...

Oh and many posters will completely disagree with their pundits. Hopefully they can publish their articles next.

@Jer1cho

Listen lad, most people here are delighted you won. Beating the English, especially as emphatically as you did, is a great way to ingratiate yourself around here. If you really want to hear Irish people talking about how great you are, listen to the commentary on the final, the way Liam Toland gushes about Kolisi should be more than enough.

As for the media, I'll be the first to say it, it's absolute s****. Across every media platform at the moment, we only have one genuinely good Irish rugby journalist, Murray Kinsella. Everyone else is terrible and if I'm honest I haven't read or listened to most of it for years. I check the Irish Times for news updates and that's it.

Look at it this way. I'm sure that somewhere there's some South African ex player, pundit, or journalist that you hate, or at least dislike or disagree with. That's how I feel about more or less every Irish 'journalist' you've mentioned in this thread (with the exception of BOD and O'Gara, both of whom are fine without being great, but then again I don't see what they've done to offend you). I'm as embarrassed as anyone by the state of the media here. But what you're doing is taking a minority voice in an already s*** press and conflating it with the opinion of an entire nation. And to be honest, the nation doesn't have an opinion. Most people I know stopped giving half a f*** about half an hour into the Ireland-NZ game. Of the minority that do care, most are delighted you won. Guys like Franno and the Off the Ball presenters are delighted that you're getting worked up over this. It's extra clicks and publicity for them. They're loving the attention. They probably don't even believe half of what they're saying.

Every so often we get an article that boils down to 'deliberately controversial NZ journo says something controversial' in the news in Ireland. I know it's not representative of New Zealand or their population, you should cop on and do the same. At this point it just seems like you're just looking up Irish news and jumping on anything that isn't gushing praise. To be honest, most Irish rugby fans have put the world cup firmly in the back of their minds and have done everything possible to think about other things. Enjoy your win and stop looking for excuses to get angry.

@Jer1cho

As for the media, I'll be the first to say it, it's absolute s****. Across every media platform at the moment, we only have one genuinely good Irish rugby journalist, Murray Kinsella. Everyone else is terrible and if I'm honest I haven't read or listened to most of it for years. I check the Irish Times for news updates and that's it.
To be honest I don't think that's fair. Firstly, Kinsella can be great but he's kind of lining himself up to be the next Thornley, which I can't really blame him for its the cushyest gig in journalism. Gilroy, who's straight up not a rugby journo he's a GAA and Golf fan who hosts sports radio, and Franno are the only outwardly offensive ones. Andy Dunne and Jerry Flannery are class; D'Arcy is generally right but hyperbolic; most of the past players are good in the right capacity, get ROG or BOD analysing games and it's wonderful, get Quinlan talking about mindset and he's usually insightful; and then you've got a bunch of lads who are inoffensive but say nothing.

OTB being the most prominent and readily available source is such a pain, none of their hosts are rugby fans and as a result they ask the most stupid questions. You get far better insight on Flannery's, Trimble's and Baz Murphys podcast and they call their listeners penguins and it's really just a podcast dedicated to insulting Felix Jones and Mike Tindall with a bit of rugby on the side!

Ultimately if you inspected any countries media it'd probably be fairly similar. A South African journo said they won the final because Kolisi put his hands on his hips in the coin toss for Christ's sake! There's not that much to actually talk about, bollix has to be spewed.

To be honest I don't think that's fair. Firstly, Kinsella can be great but he's kind of lining himself up to be the next Thornley, which I can't really blame him for its the cushyest gig in journalism. Gilroy, who's straight up not a rugby journo he's a GAA and Golf fan who hosts sports radio, and Franno are the only outwardly offensive ones. Andy Dunne and Jerry Flannery are class; D'Arcy is generally right but hyperbolic; most of the past players are good in the right capacity, get ROG or BOD analysing games and it's wonderful, get Quinlan talking about mindset and he's usually insightful; and then you've got a bunch of lads who are inoffensive but say nothing.

OTB being the most prominent and readily available source is such a pain, none of their hosts are rugby fans and as a result they ask the most stupid questions. You get far better insight on Flannery's, Trimble's and Baz Murphys podcast and they call their listeners penguins and it's really just a podcast dedicated to insulting Felix Jones and Mike Tindall with a bit of rugby on the side!

Ultimately if you inspected any countries media it'd probably be fairly similar. A South African journo said they won the final because Kolisi put his hands on his hips in the coin toss for Christ's sake! There's not that much to actually talk about, bollix has to be spewed.
That's probably fair, but I've never been much of a podcast listener so can't comment on them, OTB gets broadcast on a major radio station every night by comparison. As for D'Arcy etc there are a lot of decent ex pros around, I'm more talking about the career journos who are by and large s****. Agreed on Kinsella, but like you say can't blame him. Thornley is a good writer but he might as well be employed on the IRFU payroll at this point.

May I suggest that everyone tone it down a bit please.

I understand both sides on the issues raised.

The thing is don't fault my fellow countrymen for arguing what is going on in the press. Our media sites are just pouring over with these negative posts about drug abuse, putting asterisks behind our win, undeserving winners etc. I mean, it's everywhere, there doesn't seem to be many positive articles about us being world champions apart from our own journalists, and the odd video from our broadcaster Supersport showing the victory parades.

I will be the first one to say sorry about the Guscott remarks. I didn't read the original article of 2018, and only read what the other outlets quoted him on in the past week. But with that said, I still stand by my reasoning why I think it's a bad idea.

As for the drug abuse article. That is also a very sensitive case here in SA too. But immediately when I read the article, I saw that the journo had several gaps in his article which he didn't address, so I didn't take his piece all that seriously. But because he mentioned Dyanthi and Chilliboy Ralepelle, I felt that there needs to be a discussion about it, maybe not in this thread as it has fukall to do with the final.

I know that anger can overtake your emotions, believe me, I know. But I think all of us should just dial it down a little bit. We as the winners must show a bit more humility, just like our players are showing.

wow friends, maybe time for a group hug?
This PTSD after a World Cup is getting worse every cycle

Take a deep breath and look forward to the Barbarian game on Saturday

now read that again, slowly

PTSD - A disorder characterised by failure to recover after experiencing or witnessing a terrifying event
PSDT - Pieter-Steph du Toit

to be fair, maybe the opposition gets a bit of PTSD when watching to much of PSDT

Last edited:

PTSD - A disorder characterised by failure to recover after experiencing or witnessing a terrifying event

to be fair, maybe the opposition gets a bit of PTSD when watching to much of PSDT

George Ford is probably suffering from PTSD because of PSDT...

George Ford is probably suffering from PTSD because of PSDT...
How many more times? George Ford is a defensive colossus.

Your Christmas present is in the post.
image.jpg

Boys, this **** is basically gossip magazine level rubbish. It's clear as day what they're trying to do. Rugby publications are desperately trying to get as much traffic to their websites as they can before everyone moves on from the RWC. It's a money grab. They're trying to keep everybody interested as long as they can. By hook or by crook.

Boys, this **** is basically gossip magazine level rubbish. It's clear as day what they're trying to do. Rugby publications are desperately trying to get as much traffic to their websites as they can before everyone moves on from the RWC. It's a money grab. They're trying to keep everybody interested as long as they can. By hook or by crook.

I get that, it's mostly sensation stories trying to keep readers occupied while the rugby season is going into a lull, specifically in the SH.

And hopefully all this will die down as soon as the 7's World Series starts and the preparation for Super Rugby starts in SA, then our own journo's will have something to keep them occupied.

Barnes comes across as being a really great guy. Wonder if he let Vermeulen deal with the other prop?

Extracts in EJ's book in the Times today make interesting reading. Says he should have started with Marler instead of Mako and gone back to Farrell, Tuilagi and Slade. But because Ford was so important to England's kicking game, this is why he kept him at 10. And he did want to be Lions coach, but for some dumb comments about Wales and Ireland, which he made to get cheap laughs and not meant them.

Extracts in EJ's book in the Times today make interesting reading. Says he should have started with Marler instead of Mako and gone back to Farrell, Tuilagi and Slade. But because Ford was so important to England's kicking game, this is why he kept him at 10. And he did want to be Lions coach, but for some dumb comments about Wales and Ireland, which he made to get cheap laughs and not meant them.
Marler for Mako, yes.
Slade for Ford wouldn't have shorn up the retreating pack. Nothing further back than 9 would have made the slightest difference.
Why would dumb comments about Wales and Ireland rule him out, whilst dumb comments about Wales and Ireland seemed to cement Garland into the role?

I guess Jones, like a lot of us, got a bit carried away with the performance against the ABs. It was brilliant, but also made it v hard for him to change the team for the final.

But in the cold light of day the Boks were always going to present a different challenge. The main question with the Boks is whether they're going to field a monstrous pack, a ginormously monstrous pack or an uber monstrous pack and all before the bomb squad comes on.

It's pointless trying to outmuscle the Boks, but if you can stand up to them the dynamic changes.

Marler would have been obvious. Jones' obsession with playing the Vunipolae irrespective of opposition, fitness and form is an Achilles heel that simply needs to stop.

The heavier duty Launch and Wilson would have been brave, but horses for courses selections. We wouldn't have lost much with either.

The TH situation was what it was. Cole's been a fantastic servant but his race was clearly run and maybe the 132 kg of Williams would have been helpful - that was one of the selections we feared might come back to bite us, and it did.

It was the Boks day but hopefully Jones will have learned some lessons from it.

Latest posts