• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][The Final] England vs. South Africa (02/11/2019)

You know the only people who don't see why England took of their medals are the ones who just don't understand what it is like to be competitive.
It is bad sportsmanship but end of the day it will always be a reminder of how close they came to achieving their dreams,

and maybe in time they will appreciate things but what else do people expect.

They came into it as the favourites and got spanked it's tough.

Saw this

One Twitter user said: "A game well played but the England players immediately taking off their medals is hugely disrespectful."

Another claimed: "England are now acting like spoilt children taking off their medals, so RUDE. Why embarrass themselves and us like that?"

And one shocked fan wrote: "Why didn't England wear their medals? Makes them look like poor losers. Lose and behave graciously and well if you can't win."

It's like please.
These are not kids playing in the county finals this is the biggest game of their lives one that for some they will never play in again and only happens every 4 years.

(also I like the us part lol like that person was involved in the years of training and conditioning the **** the media would sprout).

Sorry for the rant.

I mean we won the scrum once Marler came on.

Sorry, I didn't see that. Maybe I was letting the mongoose out ?

Well, I think we've now avenged the ignomonous Brighton defeat of 2015.

Knocked Japan out of their own world cup, and then took home the trophy.

RSA are in a really good place now. It would not surprise me if they dominate world rugby for the next few years.

They've got a monstrous front 5 and their bench front 5 is equally as monstrous. Exceptionally good back row. They've got 3 top 9's to choose from. At 10 Pollard is arguably the world's best fly half. They've got pace and power at center. Ridiculously quick wingers and Le Roux at FB who, has been below par this tournament but was superb today.

They've got the perfect blend of power, pace, experience, depth and know how.

And then you've got Erasmus. Taken a side that was literally on it's arse 18-24 months ago to world cup winners. He comes across as a top bloke and very humble. Very likeable guy.

It's been a great world cup. Congrats to South Africa!

I have to say, I actually don't see any one team dominating for awhile. South Africa lost to us this tournament and Wales ran them very close. Perhaps a less mentally drained England would probably beat them 5 time out of 10?

For me I see it as a very even playing field among 4-5 nations (Ireland will come right). It's really exciting for rugby going forward. Any one team could beat one another on any given day!

I have to say, I actually don't see any one team dominating for awhile. South Africa lost to us this tournament and Wales ran them very close. Perhaps a less mentally drained England would probably beat them 5 time out of 10?

For me I see it as a very even playing field among 4-5 nations (Ireland will come right). It's really exciting for rugby going forward. Any one team could beat one another on any given day!

I'd go a long with that. SA played a blinder today and saved their biggest performance for the final but were also beaten and could have been pipped in the semi. I'm interested to see how New Zealand go. They've always had a conveyor belt of talent.

It's a common trait though. The team that tops the ABs goes on to ultimately lose the final. Aus in 2003, France 99 etc.

To beat the All Blacks in a semi final so comprehensively is a genuinely wonderful accomplishment.

I dub thee the Kiwi Curse! ;)

Phew. I knew our boys *could* pull it through for us but it needed accuracy of execution, a bit of luck and England to be rattled. All three happened.

I did feel beforehand the English were reading a bit too much in their big win over NZ so I won't do the same. I fully acknowledge there was space out wide and a few overthrows and near grabs (by the likes of Faf and Kolbe in particular) going differently at critical times or the calls going just wrong at the wrong time and it was a totally different game. I still think we had better prep. Not meaning to say we planned it better. Its pure happenstance. Us getting Garces so many times in the lead up meant we were more used to him, England not having been tested in the pool and breezing through the QF and SF meant they've not had to dig yet and I just can't imagine what sort of mental ***an you have to be not to have expected an easier game being an English player and being able to get in the 100% correct frame of mind after mauling the tournament favorite just 7 days ago.

I think people pouring on England this performance need to take it in context. These are both young squads so I expect big things in the coming years! Though NZ will of course be NZ and win everything in between.

Wonder if Ben Youngs will retire form the international game? He's felt like a weak link for a while now....

I had a chat with someone in the line this morning drawing money so that I could drink myself into a standstill. A random gentleman, seeing my Bok jersey, engaged me in conversation, and asked what kind of chance we had to win.

I told him, if England play at their best like they did against the AB's we'll lose no matter what we do, but if England have a bad day, and our lads play fantastically we can win. That's exactly what happened. If we really wanted to find out who was the best team between two, we would play 20 games in neutral ground and take the best performer from them, but that's not what the world cup is about

England can be simultaneously proud of their boys and also aggrieved at the performance, you played your best game a week ago and didn't have enough in the tank today. Take a bow, anyone who says the Springbok are definitely the best team in the world is a little naive

That said. The character we showed today was immense, it says alot about our team that we could pull a performance like that in the final. The lads showed immense character and will to win. Every player with an asterix next to their name proved themselves resolute. Our backline was flawless, our defense was unplayable and our set-piece was unbelievably dominant. We peaked at the right time. We may not be the best team on the planet but men came out of the tunnel today and champions emerged two hours later. No one can say we aren't deserved champions based on our performance.

The English should be and have every right to be morose about the victory but trust me if you could see the state of the South African people today it would put a smile on your face, I've never hugged so many strangers in one day or made so many new friends, race, religion and culture don't exist its just pure euphoria and comaraderie.

This is a happy day.

Also I'm really drunk.

Boy I can't wait to go back through this thread to quote some of you more arrogant poms!!

Nah, unlucky boys, now you know how it feels to think you look the goods one week and get your a$$ handed to you the next.

Well played South Africa

Poor Eddie Jones. Losing two World Cup Finals as a coach. Must be tough to take.

I dub thee the Kiwi Curse! ;)

Are we Bok supporters permitted to analyse a few World Cup Rugby statistics without being accused of 'gloating' ?

1... The Springboks have won THREE of the SEVEN Rugby World Cups since the event became genuinely global in 1995. (South Africa won in 1995, 2007 and 2019). The other victories have been shared by New Zealand (two), England (one) and Australia (one).

2... NO team has EVER scored a try against South Africa in a Rugby World Cup Final.

3... South Africa is the ONLY team to have lifted the supreme crown after having lost a game in the opening stages.

4... South Africa is the ONLY team to choose its players locally (Zimbabwe is effectively a part of South Africa, and Rhodesians and Zimbabweans have always played in (and for) South Africa. A Rhodesian was once captain of the Springboks.)

5... Rhodesia (then playing as a South African province) is the ONLY country in the world to have a 100 % winning record against the New Zealand All Blacks.

6... In Rugby World Cup Finals, South Africa have scored 62 points and conceded 30 ( Plus 32 net). New Zealand have scored 42 points and conceded 24 (Plus 18 net). England have scored 20 points and conceded 17 (Plus 3 net). Australia have scored 35 points and conceded 12 (Plus 23 net).

7... South Africa is the ONLY rugby nation against whom New Zealand's superman Jonah Lomu NEVER managed to score a try.

8... Springbok supporters are the only ones who do not gloat about their team's magnificence ! kikikikikikiki

English fans right now.
tenor.gif

thranduil-tauriel-hobbitedit-cHDaFguRfjS80

giphy.gif

Are we Bok supporters permitted to analyse a few World Cup Rugby statistics without being accused of 'gloating' ?

1... The Springboks have won THREE of the SEVEN Rugby World Cups since the event became genuinely global in 1995. (South Africa won in 1995, 2007 and 2019). The other victories have been shared by New Zealand (two), England (one) and Australia (one).

2... NO team has EVER scored a try against South Africa in a Rugby World Cup Final.

3... South Africa is the ONLY team to have lifted the supreme crown after having lost a game in the opening stages.

4... South Africa is the ONLY team to choose its players locally (Zimbabwe is effectively a part of South Africa, and Rhodesians and Zimbabweans have always played in (and for) South Africa. A Rhodesian was once captain of the Springboks.)

5... Rhodesia (then playing as a South African province) is the ONLY country in the world to have a 100 % winning record against the New Zealand All Blacks.

6... In Rugby World Cup Finals, South Africa have scored 62 points and conceded 30 ( Plus 32 net). New Zealand have scored 42 points and conceded 24 (Plus 18 net). England have scored 20 points and conceded 17 (Plus 3 net). Australia have scored 35 points and conceded 12 (Plus 23 net).

7... South Africa is the ONLY rugby nation against whom New Zealand's superman Jonah Lomu NEVER managed to score a try.

8... Springbok supporters are the only ones who do not gloat about their team's magnificence ! kikikikikikiki

do you want to add that the 2007 and 2019 World Cup wins were won without beating the All Blacks.:rolleyes:

Latest posts