• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][The Final] England vs. South Africa (02/11/2019)

Didnt actually mean to post that bit i thought i deleted it. But i cant even remember ill have to suffer through the game again.

We were on the line, they had no defence on the blind side for a minute. Instead of putting it one out, Cole ran into the one and only person there.

Wow. Weird to think the World Cup has finished.

I'm already looking forward to France 2023.

And France could be a serious contender with shaun edwards on side. Seriously fear what the french could do with a decent coaching set up

Congrats to SA on executing their game plan to perfection. Has there been another RWC winning coach who inherited a shambles and turned things around so quickly? Rassie Erasmus has done an outstanding job. I thought the 2021 Lions tour would be a washout based on how much of a mess they were in two years ago but you'd have to say SA are favourites to win the series if Erasmus has them playing like they did today.

Hats off to England for a fine tournament. Major disappointment today but compared with four years ago this was quite a turnaround and the comprehensive dismantling of the ABs will live long in the memory.

And France could be a serious contender with shaun edwards on side. Seriously fear what the french could do with a decent coaching set up
France looked really good against us. Agree, with Edwards and a decent head coach they could be winning 6n regularly again in no time.

So happy the boks won. Best wishes to the English supporters but I'm happy the Cup is staying in Sanzar hands :)
Awesome boks, truly deserved they have been really good the last couple of years.
I've not watched the game yet, I will watch it this week.

But I think this result backs up what I have been saying for years, WC's don't decide who the best team in the world is. I've even said that after the last two WC's my team has won.
This is no more amplified by the fact that in this WC. The AB's beat the boks, England beat the AB's and the Boks beat England.
But it is a very unique challenge, it's different for every team. its so close between the top teams that the end result often really depends on you're path through the tournament and how other results fall.
This year not just in the WC we have seen some examples of how a team in the right situation can overcome the odds on any given day and beat a team they have no right too.

I think generally Argentina, Australia, Wales and Ireland really didn't show their potential this WC. I don't think its easy to get things to all fall into place to perform at the right time for a WC but its unusual to see this many very good teams kinda get it wrong.
France turned out to be a deadly dark horse which could have won the whole thing but were undone by a moment of utter madness by a single player. And after such a turbulent WC in terms of cards it's kind of interesting that this was the only time a top side was up ended in the finals by a card. The way it had been tracking it seemed like cards were going to play more of a role.
Japan were amazing but maybe showed what a team can achieve if they focus so much on the WC. I really doubt they can maintain that level year in year out but I still hope that this tournament gives a lasting boost to the game in Japan.
Overall I'm happy with how the AB's did, its a team that has gone through huge change the last couple of years, they have done a lot of things right and clearly some things wrong. But they have again attempted to win a WC playing an attractive brand of rugby that's not really suited to winning world cups. And I'm really glad they have gone at the bronze game with a positive attitude and made it a fitting sendoff to some true great players like Read, Bender, SBW and Crotty. It will likely be the last game for others as well so its great it was a positive experience and hopefully they have shown that the bronze game can be a good thing.

We were on the line, they had no defence on the blind side for a minute. Instead of putting it one out, Cole ran into the one and only person there.
I believe it was pollard, if I'm thinking of the same moment. He made two outrageously brilliant tackles on the line in a row.

The Springboks have scored TWO tries in Rugby World Cup Finals against England, to which England failed to reply.

In fact Matt, I think that South Africa scored seven tries against England in 2007 and 2019: without reply.

What is your point ?
Yeah not too sure what his point is either??

South Africa were absolute deserved winners , no doubt , no excuses , Infact the most clinical final since when?

South Africa bossed this and it nothing more they deserved .
So happy the boks won. Best wishes to the English supporters but I'm happy the Cup is staying in Sanzar hands :)
Awesome boks, truly deserved they have been really good the last couple of years.
I've not watched the game yet, I will watch it this week.

But I think this result backs up what I have been saying for years, WC's don't decide who the best team in the world is. I've even said that after the last two WC's my team has won.
This is no more amplified by the fact that in this WC. The AB's beat the boks, England beat the AB's and the Boks beat England.
But it is a very unique challenge, it's different for every team. its so close between the top teams that the end result often really depends on you're path through the tournament and how other results fall.
This year not just in the WC we have seen some examples of how a team in the right situation can overcome the odds on any given day and beat a team they have no right too.

I think generally Argentina, Australia, Wales and Ireland really didn't show their potential this WC. I don't think its easy to get things to all fall into place to perform at the right time for a WC but its unusual to see this many very good teams kinda get it wrong.
France turned out to be a deadly dark horse which could have won the whole thing but were undone by a moment of utter madness by a single player. And after such a turbulent WC in terms of cards it's kind of interesting that this was the only time a top side was up ended in the finals by a card. The way it had been tracking it seemed like cards were going to play more of a role.
Japan were amazing but maybe showed what a team can achieve if they focus so much on the WC. I really doubt they can maintain that level year in year out but I still hope that this tournament gives a lasting boost to the game in Japan.
Overall I'm happy with how the AB's did, its a team that has gone through huge change the last couple of years, they have done a lot of things right and clearly some things wrong. But they have again attempted to win a WC playing an attractive brand of rugby that's not really suited to winning world cups. And I'm really glad they have gone at the bronze game with a positive attitude and made it a fitting sendoff to some true great players like Read, Bender, SBW and Crotty. It will likely be the last game for others as well so its great it was a positive experience and hopefully they have shown that the bronze game can be a good thing.

World Cups absolutely decide the best in the World.

Don't think we did, I think we felt if we played like we did last week we would win. We didn't play like that and lost (whether we'd have won would be an entirely different matter). I'd say most English fans predictions were entirely correct.

My english mates and colleagues all the week went on how wonderfully they played NZ and as soon as I (or others) were starting to say "yeah but I think NZ did not turn up, you have not played against a top notch New Zealand team (which means not at the best of its capacity)" and "yeah English incredible defence has definitly won the game for England", the answers were "no no, we outplayed a top notch NZ team, playing wonderful defense and attacking game...". The game today proved me (and others) maybe right : NZ was effectively not at its best a week ago. And I think it has been overlooked by England and the fans somehow.

The reality is that you could not play like this today cause SA did not let you play like this, it always depends how the other team plays and it is not only a choice of yours.

An interesting match to re-watch to understand the victory of SA today is the Boks/AB match of the pool stage, Boks did pretty well on that game despite losing, there was already a strong boks team there and certainly the game to review for England to understand how to play this boks team.

Great victory for South Africa, it was an enjoyable match to watch with a tight score until the last 20 minutes. I would not be too impatient as an englishman, you have a young and quality team, a solid base and a bright future ahead :)

dKoQYer.jpg

Well done to the boks, thoroughly deserved victory. A few thoughts:
1. Lots and lots of English mistakes. Rather than simply England being poor most of these were a direct result of Springbok pressure.

2. Not seen the scrum be used as such a weapon for a long time. Mako V looked like a broken man by the time he left the field.

3. Discussing the match with a South African fan the day before we agreed that with 2 top sides in any competition (world cup, 6N, or Japanese university sides) doesn't have to be close. One side can turn it on physically, tactically and defensively and result in a mostly one sided match. So this was not a surprise. Top 3 sides are pretty well matched. Another day, England could hold the ball, get quick ball and win. Unfortunately another day won't be the RWC final.

4. TMO communication has improved in 12y. The possible forward pass was not clear cut (clearly described by Garces here). Shame the same standards weren't applied 12y ago.

Wonder if Ben Youngs will retire form the international game? He's felt like a weak link for a while now....
Why would he though? He's literally been guaranteed his starting place for the last 4 years. It's probably too soon for an inquest but concerns about certain players and their weaknesses all came home to roost in this one game.

Latest posts