TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Okay, so before we repeat things said in one thread after another.

Here's a thread to talk about the Typhoon, it's impact on the matches and anything else.

I think that the organisers are in a very tough spot because of this:
  1. They have to consider the safety of the players, fans, organisers and the stadiums.
  2. It's not that simple to move it to another location, especially if the other location is also under threat of being hit by the Typhoon.
  3. It must be a logistical nightmare to move a match to another venue, and the Country is already filled to capacity with tourists watching the tournament.
So far 2 games have been called off. New Zealand vs. Italy, and France vs. England. Now both these matches don't really have an impact on the tournament going forward as New Zealand, France and England were already secured a spot in the Quarter Finals, and Italy have already been knocked out.

According to tournament organiser, Alan Gilpin, all 4 of the matches to be played on Sunday are on review, as they all could be hit by the typhoon, some harder than others. But it's clear that they are not going to make a premature call if it's not necessary to make it yet. I think the issue is that they don't want to eliminate a team due to a force of nature, so they are taking the necessary precautions, but also trying to keep the tournament in tact as best they can.

Okay, so before we repeat things said in one thread after another.

Here's a thread to talk about the Typhoon, it's impact on the matches and anything else.

I think that the organisers are in a very tough spot because of this:
  1. They have to consider the safety of the players, fans, organisers and the stadiums.
  2. It's not that simple to move it to another location, especially if the other location is also under threat of being hit by the Typhoon.
  3. It must be a logistical nightmare to move a match to another venue, and the Country is already filled to capacity with tourists watching the tournament.
So far 2 games have been called off. New Zealand vs. Italy, and France vs. England. Now both these matches don't really have an impact on the tournament going forward as New Zealand, France and England were already secured a spot in the Quarter Finals, and Italy have already been knocked out.

According to tournament organiser, Alan Gilpin, all 4 of the matches to be played on Sunday are on review, as they all could be hit by the typhoon, some harder than others. But it's clear that they are not going to make a premature call if it's not necessary to make it yet. I think the issue is that they don't want to eliminate a team due to a force of nature, so they are taking the necessary precautions, but also trying to keep the tournament in tact as best they can.
I'm not against match's being postponed, that can't be helped but a fixture going unplayed is ridiculous, that happens at amateur level when a team can't get enough players out... But a world cup, come on.

Unlikely as it may be , if Italy beat NZ , then they would have gone through and NZ would be out. Italy must feel aggrieved this chance has been taken away from them . Its no different from Scotlands situation. Or am i missing something?

Unlikely as it may be , if Italy beat NZ , then they would have gone through and NZ would be out. Italy must feel aggrieved this chance has been taken away from them . Its no different from Scotlands situation. Or am i missing something?
Italy would of needed a BP win and keep NZ away from BP. If NZ got BP then Italy would need to win by 60+ points. Same situation as Scotland but much less likely to happen as the Teams seem to be even and PD aren't as far apart

I'm not against match's being postponed, that can't be helped but a fixture going unplayed is ridiculous, that happens at amateur level when a team can't get enough players out... But a world cup, come on.

Even that's only at like 2/3/4th team level. A couple of weeks ago we had a game postponed due to the weather and they just switched the grounds round. In the past we've played at other local grounds. For me it's really really poor if I'm honest. They've not done their jobs properly and there should have been plans in place for this. To be cancelling games at this level shouldn't happen. I understand it but when it was known that Japan would be hosting the World Cup, plans for extreme weather conditions IMO should have been taken into account with any form of planning.

No, you're correct as Italy can still qualify. I would be furious if I were Italian even if beating NZ is unlikely.

England vs France is essentially a dead rubber and I don't think either team will be too fussed.

I'm just wondering what's stopping them from having these matches in areas not affected by the Typhoon behind closed doors, maybe have something like a fanpark for the guys who bought tickets

But alas, they called the games off. I see those matches have already been allocated points.

Yeah, Italy would have had to beat New Zealand by a bonus point, and prevented New Zealand a losing bonus point. Now with Italy having severe issues with their props, It's the most unlikely of events to happen.

By just beating NZ wouldn't have been enough for them to qualify...

Italy would of needed a BP win and keep NZ away from BP. If NZ got BP then Italy would need to win by 60+ points. Same situation as Scotland but much less likely to happen as the Teams seem to be even and PD aren't as far apart

I thought if teams were level on points then the match result counts.

From a news outlet that doesn't deserve direct linking;

Does head-to-head or points difference decide who qualifies from Rugby World Cup pools?
If two or more teams are level on points, Rugby World Cup pools are sorted by the following methods, in this order:

1. The winner of the match between the two teams
  2. Difference between points scored for and points scored against in all pool matches
  3. Difference between tries scored for and tries scored against in all pool matches
  4. Points scored in all pool matches
  5. Most tries scored in all pool matches
  6. Official World Rugby Rankings as of 14 October 2019
This is particularly crucial in Scotland's group as it means that a win over Japan alone, which would move the Scots level on points with the hosts, will not be enough to see them through.

How does this compare to what they said about typhoon contingencies at the beginning? There will be a lot of scrutiny on why other alternatives didn't happen.

The International Olympic Committee will be watching... A bit late for them to change hosts though!

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/tournament-rules

3. Rankings at the completion of the pool phase
At the completion of the pool phase, the Teams in a pool are ranked one through five based on their cumulative Match points, and identified respectively as winner, runner-up, third, fourth and fifth.

If at the completion of the pool phase two or more Teams are level on Match points, then the following criteria shall be used in the following order until one of the Teams can be determined as the higher ranked:

1. The winner of the Match in which the two tied Teams have played each other shall be the higher ranked.
  2. The Team which has the best difference between points scored for and points scored against in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked.
  3. The Team which has the best difference between tries scored for and tries scored against in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked.
  4. The Team which has scored most points in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked.
  5. The Team which has scored most tries in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked.
  6. Should the tie be unresolved at the conclusion of steps 1 through 5, the rankings as per the updated. Official World Rugby World Rankings on October 14, 2019 will determine the higher ranked Team.
For clarification, in the case of a tie between three or more Teams at the end of the pool phase, once the highest ranked Team has been determined following the above criteria, to determine the next higher ranked Team the process would repeat, starting at criterion 1.

Qualification / elimination at the conclusion of the pool phase
The winner and runner-up in each pool qualify for the quarter-finals. Teams ranked third, fourth and fifth will be eliminated from the Tournament.

So, if Ireland win with a BP, and Japan Scotland is called off, Japan will finish with one point less and we will play Ireland in the QF? Boo.

If Japan vs Scotland is cancelled, I'm re-naming this storm Kamikaze Haggis. Bringing salvation to Japan and making mincemeat out of Scotland's campaign

So, if Ireland win with a BP, and Japan Scotland is called off, Japan will finish with one point less and we will play Ireland in the QF? Boo.
I thought they'd both end up on 16 points and Japan becomes 1st in pool by virtue of head to head?
Not looking it up yet bc I'll watch Wales vs Fiji later

Last edited:
How does this compare to what they said about typhoon contingencies at the beginning? There will be a lot of scrutiny on why other alternatives didn't happen.

The International Olympic Committee will be watching... A bit late for them to change hosts though!

The thing is, the Typhoon changed it's course a bit in the past 24 hours or so, and I guess the plans in place to move certain games to certain stadiums (presumably roofed stadiums) but because of the change in course of the typhoon, and also because it became stronger than they initially suspected, their contingency plan fell through.

But all they really need is a field with painted lines, goal posts on either side a referee, to AR's and a TMO and a few cameramen and a broadcasting truck, then we're good to go...

Don't be like that. We play whoever we play. If we want to lift the trophy, we must overcome any opponent we get in the playoffs, no matter who they are.

I thought if teams were level on points then the match result counts.
If only two teams are level, yes. If three then it is pd for top position, then match result between the other two.

So Italy would only have to beat nz while denying them a bonus point. Or beat nz and got a bonus point as long as nz didn't get two bonus points.

Latest posts