• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ryan Giggs - Best winger ever, Discuss ...

MichaelBoard

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Although people may think this a strange statement and I'm sure some will agree with me but I believe that Ryan Giggs is probably the best wide player ever to grace a football pitch. Yes theres Messi and Ronaldo but as of yet have they done what Giggs has done in the game and should they really be even thought of in the same bracket as Ryan Giggs. For every youtube video that someone posts of Messi or Ronaldo there is one of Giggs that can match it. Watching Giggs today against Liverpool I'm convinced he can go on for another 2 seasons, 1 at the absolute least as long as he still has the hunger to do so as imo theres no question about his ability even at the grand old age of 37.

Will there ever be a player like him again?
Will there ever be a player as loyal to 1 club as him again?
Will his appearance record and numerous other records like scoring in every Premiership season for example ever be surpassed?

These are just a few of the arguments for why Giggs is the best winger ever to play and 1 of the greatest players to ever play.
Look forward to hearing what you all think ...

giggs the man is a god
if he was english or any decent football country hr would be a cult figure!!

Strange you use the game against us today seeing as he did the grand sum of score a (totally wrongly awarded) penalty. He was very, very well handled by Martin Kelly.

Strange you use the game against us today seeing as he did the grand sum of score a (totally wrongly awarded) penalty. He was very, very well handled by Martin Kelly.

St Helens, I used this game as an example but that just happened to be the game that was on on the day, I could of used any recent game that Giggs has played in to make my point that he is still top class. Yes Kelly dealt with him reasonably well but he couldn't completely contain him and it wasn't only Kelly who had to deal with him as a few tiems Giggs made a few little darting runs into the middle troubling other players and showing that even at the age that he is that he has still got it and can still compete at the highest level.
Although its slightly irrelevant in the game at first glance I thought that Steven Gerrard's tackle on Carrick was a yellow/could've been red but on seeing ity again I can understand Howard Webb's decision and it deserved a red because at the end of his day he totally came off his feet. As for the penalty it probably wasn't a penalty, but there are arguments that it definitely was and to be honest it could've went either way. Penalty decisions tend to balance themselves out and I'm not sure how many people noticed but there was a penalty that should've been awarded later on but wasn't. It was when Manchester United had about 3/4 shots in the box then the ball rebounded to Giggs who made a little run into the box and dummied then I think it was Jonjo Shelvey (I may be wrong though) who took his leg and for me that was a penalty, far clearer than the Berbatov one.
By the way I'm not a Manchester United fan either nor a Liverpool fan, I support Tottenham so thats how I honestly saw it.

I thought Martin Kelly was excellent and handled Giggs very, very well.

Don't get me wrong, Martin Kelly was good, hes an excellent prospect and I'm glad hes playing more regularly but not even the best defenders can completely handle Giggs at his age because hes still got that bit of magic. Not taking anything away from Kelly he looks a decent player.

I know nothing of football, but I know Giggs was my favourite player when I was like 6 (whenever Man U won the double in the early/mid 90s)

and here-endeth my fact for the day

Ryan Giggs is the best player in the history of the Premier League.
With regard to the Liverpool game, I thought he was one of our best and pretty much only creative player.
Berbatov getting the MOTM was a joke, Rafael was outstanding.
The penalty wasn't as much as a farce as Liverpool fans are making out - if it hadn't been given I would have gotten over it, but he made contact and Berbs went down. Beep beep!
Gerrard's sending off was completely just, Dalglish is smoking some dodgy **** complaining about that one.
Liverpool should firstly work out how to turn from an absolutely appalling football team into an average one again before picking faults in the referees decisions.

Best player in the history of the Premier League but imo I think that best player ***le can extend a bit further than just in the Premier League...
You may think it a bit OTT but surely theres a case for him being right up there as one of the best players ever? I know thats a bold statement but when you look at the amazing goals that the likes of Messi and Ronaldo score these days Giggs has scored the same kind of goals, some even more impressive. Imagine what he could of achieved if he'd had the opportunity to play in a major tournament.
He is hands down one of the greatest, if not the greatest player and the most decorated player ever. I don't think any player will ever break some of the records Giggsy holds:
First footballer to collect 11 top division English league ***le medals
First player in history to win two consecutive PFA Young Player of the Year awards (1992 and 1993)
The only player to have played and scored in every season of the Premier League.
First player in UEFA Champions League history to have scored in 11 successive seasons.
Elected into the PFA Team of the Century in 2007, the PL Team of the Decade, in 2003 & the FA Cup Team of the Century.
The only United player to have played in all 11 Premier League winning teams and the first three League Cup-winning teams.
Holds the Manchester United appearance record (758)
The records he has are endless...

Ryan Giggs is the best player in the history of the Premier League. .

eric+cantona.jpg

Yes well done to Ryan Giggs, collecting so many medals in the self-proclaimed "Greatest league in the world", under the stewardship of one of the best managers in the game

Thank the lord he is not English (or Bale for that matter), if he were there would be a never ending out-cry as to why he never won the Ballon de Or or FIFA World Player of the Year
You also need to factor in he has never derservedly won the EPL player of the year award

That said, I wouldn't say no to him being an Aberdeen player...

In his position, without a doubt Giggs is one of the best in the history of the premier league. In some aspects its a shame that he's from my side of the bridge. I think everyone would agree that if he had the opportunity to play in the pinnacle championship of international football (World cup) then i think he would have without a doubt have won more prestigious individual awards - World player etc (its a huge statement to make, but i feel that given the opportunity to play on the world stage he would have relished it). So in that aspect it is a shame, but i must take my hat off to him for "rightly" choosing to play (and eventually captain) Wales.
In terms of will there ever be a player like him again, you only have to look at Gareth Bale for a possibility of that happening. Its early days yet, but at 21 he's showing some serious talent, and the season and the individual is/are still young. I personally cannot wait for Sunday's game with Tottenham to see how Bale will Fare against Man UTD. This season (for Bale alone), me and my mates in uni have been going out of our way to watch Tottenham (even tho none of us support them). I've developed a soft spot for spurs for the sole reason of attractive football, with the above player having a very integral role. I cannot wait to see how Bale will fair in the up coming years.
So hear hear to celebrating the career of 1 great player and looking forward to the potential of another to walk in the "old guard's" Footsteps :D

I don't think being Welsh and not playing at a higher level internationally has hindered Giggs' chances of being more widely recognised - George Weah won World and European footballer of the Year in 1995, and he's Liberian.
It's more that he isn't as obviously brilliant as a Messi or a Ronaldinho - he has been a steady, consistent and brilliant professional for the best part of 20 years now; and that's what makes him an all-time great.

Who would have thought 20 years ago that a Man Utd vs Liverpool game would be decided by a Ryan Giggs strike with Ferguson and Daglish managing. Bloody 'eck!

I'd much rather keep talking about Martin Kelly, what a player he is. Streets ahead (defensively) of Johnson it's unreal, and how old is he? 20?

Yes well done to Ryan Giggs, collecting so many medals in the self-proclaimed "Greatest league in the world", under the stewardship of one of the best managers in the game

Thank the lord he is not English (or Bale for that matter), if he were there would be a never ending out-cry as to why he never won the Ballon de Or or FIFA World Player of the Year
You also need to factor in he has never derservedly won the EPL player of the year award

That said, I wouldn't say no to him being an Aberdeen player...

Interesting statement . . . hes never deservedly won the EPL player of the year award? Care to elaborate?

I don't think being Welsh and not playing at a higher level internationally has hindered Giggs' chances of being more widely recognised - George Weah won World and European footballer of the Year in 1995, and he's Liberian.
It's more that he isn't as obviously brilliant as a Messi or a Ronaldinho - he has been a steady, consistent and brilliant professional for the best part of 20 years now; and that's what makes him an all-time great.

It hasn't so much as hindered his global appeal but it could definitely have been even further enhanced had he played in a major competition.
"Its more that he isn't as obviously brilliant as a Messi or a Ronaldinho" - Take a look at this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_869852&v=p934hi4s0oI&feature=iv
I wonder whether Ronaldo or Messi will still be playing and still playing well at the age of 37?

Latest posts