• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ryan Jones is out of tour

Why can't it happen to someone like Worsley? /Cynic.

I wonder if this means Crane will be called up now. :huh:

Well he didn't exactly hang round did he?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/8097774.stm

Wales captain Ryan Jones has been declared unfit for Lions duty and will fly home within days of arriving in South Africa as a tour replacement.

The 28-year-old's plight was caused by the head injury that forced him off in the first minute of Wales' win over United States on Saturday.

Jones joined the Lions on Thursday as Irishman Stephen Ferris' replacement.

But Lions head coach Ian McGeechan says no further replacement will be called up at this stage.

On the day Jones joined the tourists, Wales boss and Lions forwards coach Warren Gatland said Jones might not have had time to stake a Test place claim during the remainder of the tour.

But even that slim opportunity was then denied to Jones, whose tour was ended following a medical examination in South Africa.

He joins Tomas O'Leary, Tom Shanklin, Jerry Flannery, Leigh Halfpenny and Ferris in having his Lions dreams shattered by injury.
It is a further blow to Jones, who was controversially omitted from the initial Lions tour party.

A statement on the Lions website read: "Jones underwent the same routine medical testing as all replacement players joining the tour and it led to the team's medical staff requesting a further examination by an independent neurosurgeon.

"This was due to a concern over the player's recent medical history that included two significant knocks to the head while playing for his country on their recent tour to North America.

"On the advice of the neurosurgeon, it was determined that it was not safe for Jones to undertake any physical contact for a mandatory three weeks."

A Welsh Rugby Union statement read: "Ryan Jones was initially examined by the Wales squad medical team in the USA and was passed fit to travel home to the UK.

"A full medical examination of the player was due to take place in the UK late this week but the routine tests were then scheduled for South Africa when he flew out on Tuesday."

A WRU spokesman added: "We fully understand the reasons this step has been taken, but we understand how desperately sad it is for Ryan who was looking forward to the honour of representing the Lions.

"All players know it is important for medical advice to be followed and now he will be able to rest before taking a full part in pre-season training.

"We look forward to seeing him fit and ready for the start of next season."

Jones said: "I am very disappointed that on medical grounds I have been told that I am not currently fit enough to play an active role on the tour.

"I was looking forward to getting involved with the rest of the lads but I guess it wasn't meant to be. It has been an up and down year for me in many ways.

"I feel okay at present but obviously I have to listen to the neurosurgeon's advice in terms of my health, and to ensure I make a full recovery."

Jones was a member of Wales' 2005 Grand Slam back-row and was one of the few Lions tourists to New Zealand of that year to shine during a 3-0 Test whitewash.

He went on to lead Wales to their 2008 Grand Slam success, but faced criticism for his Wales and Ospreys display during the 2008-09 domestic season.

A Scottish call-up...please?

I'm watching the Scotland A game just now, all 3 capped back row forwards have been doing some good work.

Denis Leamy anyone? oh wait Neil Best.

Ya Neil Best would be clausssssss\zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Then ican put money on him to be the first lion of the tour to be red carded.

I guess Leamy is next on the conveyor belt but as theyve said, no call ups yet. Maybe in a week when 3-4 more get to go home early.

neil best please

i would love to see him in a lions shirt

haha

get him called up

Crazy decision not to call someone up, that leaves 6 back row forwards left and 6 games left. Fly Leamy (?) out.

Hmmmm...this is kind of annoying (to me at least) considering the lack of Scottish faces in the squad.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Jun 12 2009, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hmmmm...this is kind of annoying (to me at least) considering the lack of Scottish faces in the squad.[/b]

Maybe Scotland needs some better players instead of only Murray then...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Jun 12 2009, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hmmmm...this is kind of annoying (to me at least) considering the lack of Scottish faces in the squad.[/b]

As the saying goes ... "If they aint good enough, they wont get picked!"

What annoys me most is the fact that the Lions Medical team DID NOT check with the Welsh medical team fully about Ryan Jones' condition. Its a bit of a shocker really calling someone up who was not going to be fit. Poor management really there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Jun 13 2009, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Jun 12 2009, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As the saying goes ... "If they aint good enough, they wont get picked!"

What annoys me most is the fact that the Lions Medical team DID NOT check with the Welsh medical team fully about Ryan Jones' condition. Its a bit of a shocker really calling someone up who was not going to be fit. Poor management really there.
[/b][/quote]
Absoultley,
Not to mention how utterly gutted Jones is going to be

I have never heard that saying before Cymro, although I understand it. Do "sayings" not generally have more of a poetic air about them? :p

I think we have more than just one good player;

Ford's lineout throwing is terrible but he does some amazing work in the loose...I still pick Mears over him.
Hines has done some good work so far but he's very much the 5th lock in the squad but he's not played badly by any means.
Blair had an absolute stinker against the Royals, I think he deserves another start with a more cohesive pack in front of him.

If Simon Shaw deserved a call up I have no idea why the likes of Jason White wasn't considered, I think he not only matches Shaws lineout skills but also offers a more experienced 6 (remember how there is only have one left) and has some dynamite defense still in him. I doubt he will get picked and I can see a lot of noses in the air after posting this but to me it would be justified. If Strok wasn't injured I think he'd be the next in line to join them and the Scotland A back-row looked on form against Russia today, Kelly Brown especially.

To be honest, I just want to see more Scottish faces in the Lions set up, I know we're not exactly swimming in talent but I think we've been pushed to the side again this time round and I don't think I'm wrong for feeling that way.

Who else is there in the Scotland squad worth considering?

Patterson; A boot and that's it. Yes, Jenkins was shoehorned into the '97 squad for that very reason, but the game has moved on.
Parks; I'll keep my own council on him...
Lamont (S); Couldn't even get a game for his club in the last 6 months
Lamont ®; Been injured since forever
Evans; Promising talent, but young and inexperienced - And also the best in a poor Scottish side. We've already seen with Earls that youth and talent alone isn't enough for this standard.

the likes of Shaw are there just because of their experience plus Geech has worked with them for the past 4 years and knows them inside out. It's already established that they'll be nowhere near the test team.

Fair enough, I'm still understandably bitter though.

I also just noticed the Wasps bias in the Lions selections also...hmmmm.

Latest posts