• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ryanair to the US?

S

St Helens RLFC

For £8!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7705169.stm

Ryanair set for £8 flights to US

Budget airline Ryanair is to offer flights to the US for eight pounds, by buying planes from struggling rivals.

The plan will be revealed when chief executive Michael O'Leary announces the firm's quarterly results on Monday.

"Economy class will be very cheap, around 10 euros, but our business class will be very expensive," he said in a newspaper interview.

Ryanair's second quarter profits are expected to fall, due to higher fuel prices and its decision to cut fares.

Mr O'Leary is expected to announce plans to buy more than 50 extra aircraft, as part of plans to beat the recession by undercutting more expensive rivals.

"We'll just have to keep flying more aircraft, opening up more routes and offering people more cheap flights," Mr O'Leary said.

Profits down

The flights - which could begin by the end of next year - would be available for those booking early. Passengers would pay airport taxes on top of the fares.

The transatlantic flights are likely to go from Stansted and Dublin airports to New York, Florida, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Boston.

Meanwhile, it is expected that Ryanair's quarterly profits will drop significantly.

Royal Bank of Scotland is forecasting net earnings of 145m euros (£115m; $184m) for Ryanair for the second quarter, down from 260m euros last year.

While the oil price has come down lately, analysts say Ryanair is still suffering because it insured against changing fuel costs at too high a price.

Mr O'Leary has said he expected the airline to make a profit for the full year as long as oil stays below $70 a barrel.

I dread to think about how far away the flights will land from the destinations, but I'm still up for a bit of that!

Bargain holidays, even a 6 hour drive once you get there would be good value when you consider how cheep fuel is there.

Then again, I wouldn't fancy an 8 hour no-frils flight.

It won't be the lap of luxury but provided you keep moving you should be fine. Florida here we come!

To be honest it was only a matter of time before this was going to happen... and it was a battle between EasyJet, Ryanair and Flybe... With Ryanair obviously willing to take the risk and have the money to back it up...

This could be a very interesting time with the economy in the state it is in.

You get your seat and your flight Matt, literally nothing else. Though I suppose you might be able to buy in flight movies for about £10 or something like that. If the sandwiches are to go by, at any rate.

f*** that for a packet of chips!!!
8 hours on a plane with f*** all to do.
I'll stay with Virgin Atlantic thank you very much.
I need my films and games and programmes that VA provide you at no additional fee!

Just to clarify, a flight from stansted to boston, massachusetts will see you land nearer boston, lancashire. Probably. :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Nov 3 2008, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just to clarify, a flight from stansted to boston, massachusetts will see you land nearer boston, lancashire. Probably. :D[/b]

I'd say, knowing Ryanair, that Mexico is more likely.

Bloke was sitting on a barstool, drinking a pint, at Heathrow airport, when a really beautiful woman sat down next to him. Bloke thought to himself, "Wow, she's so gorgeous, she must be a flight attendant, but which airline does she work for?"

Being a bit of a know-all and hoping to pick her up, he leaned towards her and uttered the Delta slogan, "Love to fly and it shows?"

She gave him a blank, confused stare, and bloke immediately thought to himself, "Damn, she doesn't work for Delta".

A moment later, another slogan popped into his head. He leaned towards her again, "Something special in the air?"

She gave him the same confused look.

He mentally kicked himself and scratched Singapore Airlines off the list.Next he tried the Thai Airways slogan, "Smooth as silk".

This time the woman turned on him, "What the f*** do you want?"

Bloke smiled, and said, "Ah, Ryanair!"

Latest posts