• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SA refs to use a 'glass eye'

B

Bullitt

Cape Town â€" South African rugby referees now have a “glass eye†to keep them at the forefront of their profession.

As if two eyes are not enough, ophthalmologist Mark Lawrence officiated Saturday’s friendly match between the Stormers and Western Force with a camera attached to his head.

South African referees boss André Watson says that it is a local project with which they aim to train referees in a new way and with which they will ultimately be examined.

“We can put young referees in a position where they can use a professional referee’s perspective on the field and then make their own decisions,†Watson told Sport24.

Although in its infancy, the South African initiative may well take the world-wide use of technology in rugby to another level.

“Spectators are regularly infuriated about things they and not the referee saw,†said Watson.

“With this camera you can get the referee’s perspective and compare it with the TV-image that fans see and draw conclusions from there.â€

If the trial runs with the glass eye are successful, the cameras may soon be a standard piece of equipment in referees’ kit bags.

It may not even be far-fetched to follow the referee’s perspective on television in a similar way to that of Formula One racing drivers.

Lawrence told Sport24 that the camera and sweatband were uncomfortable.

“However, if the project is successful, the camera will probably become smaller,†he said.

“Players already use us as shields, but anyone who runs into us now, is in danger of being electrocuted,†he joked.

“I spoke to the players a lot on Saturday, but it was mostly because they wanted to know what was going on my head. Others avoided me because of it. But I think Matt Dunning and Jacques Potgieter’s scrap was captured well thanks to the equipment.â€

http://www.sport24.co.za/Content/Rugby/264...use_a_glass_eye

Think this is a very cool idea, will give the fans somewhat of a better view of what's happening in the tight stuff.

should be an interesting trial and i hope they can master it so that it is used at international level.

I like this, as long as it doesn't start popping up on the tellie every twenty seconds. Perhaps an option on the decoder to have a look at it every now and then, kinda like the OK button on the PVR or the red button on the sky box thingies you chaps in England land have.

It'd be nice to see key moments in the match from the referees perspective, and I'd like to see it on the touch judges as well, so that we can start calling them on their bullshit, I'd wager if you look through the touch judge footage of a match 50% of it would be them staring at people in the crowd.

This would make the pre, mid and post match sessions with Naas and the crew pretty interesting as well methinks :p

Is it going to be one of those stupid fads?
They've got a few of those novelty cameras scattered around our rugby fields, haven't they, including that camera that travels on trains tracks parallel to the field; the camera that hangs on wires and slides about above the centre of the field; and the silly little post cameras that rotate ever so slightly and just miss a player putting the ball down.
This ref-cam could add to those unnessecary additions, to which will only be used a handful of times.

Those cameras serve only as fluff to your viewing pleasure, this will have the added function of showing you -what the ref saw-, which helps a lot with all those "WHERE THE HELL WAS THE REF LOOKING ?" moments.

Hi

This will be interesting to see how this works. I think it might slow down the game a bit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boggle @ Jan 31 2010, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Those cameras serve only as fluff to your viewing pleasure, this will have the added function of showing you -what the ref saw-, which helps a lot with all those "WHERE THE HELL WAS THE REF LOOKING ?" moments.[/b]
As it's in Super 14, i'm presuming 90% of the time it's going to be pointed towards the cheerleaders

Latest posts