SA Rugby killing the goose for the golden egg

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by munross, Feb 28, 2010.

1. munross

munross Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    That is some fixture list for the Springboks!

Just hope that if PDV and co are to rest some of the top players for some of these tests, that they will choose the best 2nd string players and not make the Bok jersey cheap by selecting players due to favoritism or the so-called players of colour that aren't in form.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Olyy

Olyy Guest

That's alot of toing and froing for the first few!

4. shtove

shtove Guest

That's a dreadful schedule, especially when you know you're gonna get tonked on Nov 6. Sheesh!

5. munross

munross Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    Think it will be the 1st time in history that the Boks play a test in Witbank?

Hopefully they will play some test matches at the new Mbombela Stadium here in Nelspruit in the not too distant future.

6. stormer2010

stormer2010 Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Mar 1 2010, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    That is some fixture list for the Springboks!

Just hope that if PDV and co are to rest some of the top players for some of these tests, that they will choose the best 2nd string players and not make the Bok jersey cheap by selecting players due to favoritism or the so-called players of colour that aren't in form.
    [/b][/quote]

That truly is one crazy. schedule and I completely agree with you on not selecting players because of color (Ralepele, Maku, Raubenheimer, Rose etc) or favoratism (Rose, Jacobs, du Plessis {Jannie}, Pienaar etc). Player who need to sit out for at least 5 games and are unsubstutable for RWC2011 IMO: du Preez, Botha, Matfield, Habana, Fourie, Steyn. We have quality backup for hooker between Smit, du Plessis, Botha and Liebenberg. Mtawarira, Botha, du Preez, Blaauw and Nel should prop it. Rossouw, van der Merwe and Bekker have shown promise at lock. We are sorted in the backrow and at scrumhalf. Our problems start in the backline with no clear sub for Steyn and no standout fullback. At center we have de Villiers coming back, Fransie as an option and Olivier whom I think is the form inside centre and Fourie and de Jongh outside (de Jongh is no 12). Frans then at fullback with Kirschner/Viljoen/Pietersen as back-up. At wing, Habana, Petersen, Mapoe will be the favourites but Francois Hougaard could also come into contention as a utility back. I seriously hope the Lions give burton Francis more gametime and it is a pity Potgieter has moved to the Bulls as I think those 2 are our best option to cover Morne Steyn.

7. Lochsta22

Lochsta22 Guest

Defs going to the Brisbane game.

8. Kinda hectic but give chance for de Villiers to dice around with a few players he's unsure of and get see if the players can cope with the demands of a tough schedule. I wouldn't have wanted that schedule though! Geez!

9. Im sure this will contradict the whole programme?
    I wouldnt have minded a schedule like this in 09. But for the likes of Fdu Preez who played over 2000 minutes of rugby last year
    Has played in most of the Bulls match this year, is going on tour with the Bulls even with injury; I'd hope Peter de Villiers doesnt use du Preez too much for this tour.And this would be a great time to try out perhaps even Rory Kockott as a bok half back??

We have du Preez, Pienaar, Vermaak, and Kockott. All quality halves. Just muddle the combos up a little during the tour.
    Now with Morné Steyn, he should not be used too much either. Du Preez/Steyn is alweays going to be the best combo.
    But I'd try

Pienaar/Steyn
    Vermaak/Steyn
    Vermaak/Pienaar

Try Kockott/Pienaar for the first test in NZ
    Keep du Preez/Steyn for the second (just in case we lose the first?)

But really, half this test should be resting experimenting.
    WE NEED to rest the top guys for 2011! Especially if they expect to also play the Currie Cup and the new S15!

REST!!! Brussow will definately need game time, but with one major injury already, he'll need to have rest as well.

But. I dont think the opposition will appreciate playing against a virtual B team.
    DO we want to win test matches and do awesomely in an end of year test
    Or do we want a seond successive/third world cup?

Jake White (perhaps one of the BEST coaches of all time) chose the World Cup.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!