SA Rugby, NZ to push for global season

TheOvalBall

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
France
SA Rugby will join New Zealand in a "hard push" to try and get a global season underway by 2020.
The governing body confirmed they would support the push for the northern and southern hemisphere seasons to be more aligned to make the global game run smoother when it comes up for discussion in the near future at World Rugby's executive committee meetings in future.
New World Rugby chairman Bill Beaumont and his new deputy Augstin Pichot will be confirmed next month in their positions in the places of Bernard Lapasette and Oregan Hoskins respectively and it is hoped the new leadership will finally begin a strong push towards a global season for the game.
New Zealand Rugby Union CEO Steve Tew has reginited the discussion on the Global Season when he confirmed the All Blacks were serious about making sure it happened by 2020 and could well withdraw from the World Rugby tours programme if an agreement is not reached.
SA Rugby CEO Jurie Roux told supersport.com that South Africa was very much in favour of something different to the current tours agreement that ends in 2019.
"Everyone in the game knows that we have an issue around the season structure and the impact on player welfare and World Rugby is already exploring new options," Roux told supersport.com.
"There's no silver bullet for this problem and it is something that has been exercising minds for a number of years. But there is widespread agreement that there is no appeal in continuing the current model beyond the current tours agreement (2019).
"Any new format must strengthen the integrity of test rugby and address the key considerations for southern hemisphere rugby of financial sustainability and player welfare.
"It'll take a change in mindsets to achieve that and will mean a shake-up in what has become the norm but we have to explore the options."
Part of that change in mindset needs to come in that the Six Nations countries will need to change the dates of the tournament, otherwise any hope of a global season will be futile. Southern Hemisphere countries have already indicated they are willing to look at dates around the Rugby Championship, but a move needs to have the backing of both hemispheres.
"We are working with World Rugby on some options," NZRU chief executive Steve Tew said at a media briefing in Auckland.
"There's plenty of work being done. Are we closer to an agreement? Probably not but at least the discussions are very current."
Like South Africa, New Zealand aren't willing to see the current tours programme simply roll over in 2020.
"We don't believe the current system is sustainable," he said. "Our players and the northern hemisphere players won't sustain that and I think it's fair to say the French and English clubs don't think it is sustainable either.
"We need a different season structure than the one we have now and we are not going to default to the current one if we can't find one. We're going to force that issue," he said.
Either way, for this to happen it will take some horse-trading and give and take from both sides to see it become a reality.

LINK: http://www.supersport.com/rugby/sa-rugby/news/160316/SA_Rugby_NZ_to_push_for_global_season

It's about time. We have been asking for this for forever. I really hope this gets implemented, because the game will thrive under this global season format.

Last edited:
It's about time. We have been asking for this for forever. I really hope this gets implemented, because the game will thrive under this global season format.

Simples! The SH plays at the same time of the year as we do.....their summer our winter!

Simples! The SH plays at the same time of the year as we do.....their summer our winter!

Ah yes, the old Frenchman's compromise - you do what we want and everyone will be happy.

The thing is, if the SANZAR nations pull out of the EOYT programme after 2019, it will hurt NH National Unions in the pocket a lot more than us. I can't speak for the ARU or SARU, but I do know that NZR make nothing from the EOYTs in terms of revenue, its actually a cost on their books in terms of P&L. Our our biggest earner is the Rugby Championship, and while the second biggest is the June Tours, it is a very distant second, made worse than it should have been on the last few years through the standard of the teams sent our way. The extra Bledisloe Cup match is our third biggest earner, but only just; that one game earns the NZRU almost as much as three June Tour matches combined.

Ah yes, the old Frenchman's compromise - you do what we want and everyone will be happy.

The thing is, if the SANZAR nations pull out of the EOYT programme after 2019, it will hurt NH National Unions in the pocket a lot more than us. I can't speak for the ARU or SARU, but I do know that NZR make nothing from the EOYTs in terms of revenue, its actually a cost on their books in terms of P&L. Our our biggest earner is the Rugby Championship, and while the second biggest is the June Tours, it is a very distant second, made worse than it should have been on the last few years through the standard of the teams sent our way. The extra Bledisloe Cup match is our third biggest earner, but only just; that one game earns the NZRU almost as much as three June Tour matches combined.

It would hurt but not as much as you'd think. You could be threatened with the Lions tour (your biggest cash cow) and a European cup could be arranged instead, or something similar, between world cups.

I think the SH has to compromise. Your season is nice a smoothly played in blocks. Super rugby > interntional rugby. NH season is club > internationals > clubs >internationals > clubs > internationals. So fair to say the calendar suits the SH perfectly.

I can't see how they can just expect the whole rugby calendar to change. For instance the reason the 6 nations is played at this time of year is because its in a period that maximises TV revenue. Moving that will hit revenue.

It would hurt but not as much as you'd think. You could be threatened with the Lions tour (your biggest cash cow) and a European cup could be arranged instead, or something similar, between world cups.
Its every 12 years, and frankly, its one of those things that I regard as "nice to have". If it came down to a choice between a Global Season and the Lions Tour, I will take the global season. I would not miss the Lions Tour if it was done away with. I am sure that the revenue from this duodecennial tour could be easily more than made up in the 11 years in between

I think the SH has to compromise. Your season is nice a smoothly played in blocks. Super rugby > interntional rugby.
And you think this was by accident?

NH season is club > internationals > clubs >internationals > clubs > internationals. So fair to say the calendar suits the SH perfectly.
Oh, it suits us? Really? Well, we have already done our fair share of compromise thanks.

The whole Conference shamozzle we currently run in Super Rugby is for one reason only, because we don't have enough time to run a full competition due to having to "compromise" to fit in with the NH domestic season and availability of players for the June window.

We've moved our Tri-Nations/Rugby Championship around and even cut one short every four years as a "compromise" to suit the RWC because the NH Unions wont hold the RWC a month later.

I don't see any similar compromises being made by National Unions up North.

IMO, if a Global Season cannot be agreed upon, we could well see the EOYTs and June Tours done away with, the Super Rugby conference system ditched and the expansion of the competition to 20 teams and a full 19 round competition with a later start and a full McIntyre style Top 8 play-off series in June/July, then followed by the ITM Cup, the Australia NRC, the Currie Cup and the Vodacom Cup all running concurrently with the Rugby Championship.

I would even like to see an ITM Cup winners v Currie Cup winners "Bowl" match

I can't see how they can just expect the whole rugby calendar to change. For instance the reason the 6 nations is played at this time of year is because its in a period that maximises TV revenue. Moving that will hit revenue.
No, its where it is because of tradition. It has always been January/February/March, even back as far as 1910; before TV was even invented! TV Revenue is just used as a lame excuse not to move it. The Six Nations is such and important and popular competition that it will draw packed houses and maximum TV revenues no matter when its held,

But there are bigger issues than just money. There is player welfare to consider. The seasons are just too long, We cannot keep on treating players as disposable commodities. The French are the worst at this, but they are by no means the only ones.

Last edited:
This whole NH <-> SH fight thing in Rugby is disgusting.

I would even like to see an ITM Cup winners v Currie Cup winners "Bowl" match

This would be insane. It can even be the top 4 teams in each competition playing playoffs against each other.

This would be insane. It can even be the top 4 teams in each competition playing playoffs against each other.

Yes, scrap super rugby. Let's rather have that. Then the Currie Cup becomes a priority again.

No, its where it is because of tradition. It has always been January/February/March, even back as far as 1910; before TV was even invented! TV Revenue is just used as a lame excuse not to move it. The Six Nations is such and important and popular competition that it will draw packed houses and maximum TV revenues no matter when its held,

But there are bigger issues than just money. There is player welfare to consider. The seasons are just too long, We cannot keep on treating players as disposable commodities. The French are the worst at this, but they are by no means the only ones.

This.

NH players are crying out for a break in the continual rugby they're being forced to play. For me less is more.

One of my partial solutions would be to scrap the June window altogether.

This would allow the NH domestic season to run right through to the end of July, allowing a later start to the following season so that we could accommodate an enlarged Autumn window from three weeks four (perhaps first to last week of October or November).

Teams travel both directions, e.g.

Weeks 1 & 2
Wales to NZ
England to Australia
Scotland to Canada and USA
France to South Africa
Ireland to Argentina

Weeks 3 & 4
NZ to France
Australia to Ireland
Canada & USA to Wales
South Africa to England
Argentina to Scotland

This would reduce the international windows by two weeks allowing a bit more break time for the players

In 2001 due to the foot and mouth crisis, Scotland, Wales and Ireland hosted 6 Nations games in September and October. All were played in front of capacity crowds. The interest would still be there if the 6 Nations was moved to this time of the year.

In Europe we have to wake up to the fact that we're not as competitive internationally as the Sanzarg countries. We can bleat all we want about tradition but the fact is that they're getting results when it matters and we aren't. We have to change. Our skill levels are terrible compared to the World Cup semi finalists. Why then don't we consider playing through our summer rather than through our winter on heavy pitches in rubbish weather conditions? If the weather is too hot in France during high summer, why can't games be played at night which would surely appeal to TV more. Clubs must be happy that they aren't competing with football during this summer period.

Fantasy talk on my part but why can't we have a European competition (scrap the leagues) starting in mid February in a block through the end of May. A three week June tour to the Southern Hemisphere follows. July, August,September concludes the league and playoffs. October and November reserved for the 6 Nations and Southern Hemisphere countries touring here.

The current structure does not suit NH rugby at all. What's overall a nice time of year for rugby is lost entirely and a bad time of year is fully used. Players are playing far too much and club matches even overlap with country fixtures. That's not good for the players and not good for NH rugby overall. If the French soccer league can start in August, surely it should be possible to play rugby during summer? In countries like Spain or Italy, the early rounds in soccer take place in the evening and that seems to work ok.
While it has become worse, the SH structure just makes more sense.

I wouldn't mind a European Super League, but I doubt people would like it. So at least reduce the number of games. As long as the Six Nations don't take place during the time when soccer World Cups or Euros are on, I fail to see why moving them should be a problem. For indoor sports in Germany (primarily basketball, handball and ice hockey) playing during soccer's winter break works like a charm, so for rugby, playing during its summer break should be even better.

Its every 12 years, and frankly, its one of those things that I regard as "nice to have". If it came down to a choice between a Global Season and the Lions Tour, I will take the global season. I would not miss the Lions Tour if it was done away with. I am sure that the revenue from this duodecennial tour could be easily more than made up in the 11 years in between

Yes every 12 years but its like striking gold for you. The money earned goes a long way. The Lion's unions get battered players who tend to take a year or two to get back to their best.

smartcooky said:
And you think this was by accident?

Oh, it suits us? Really? Well, we have already done our fair share of compromise thanks.

The whole Conference shamozzle we currently run in Super Rugby is for one reason only, because we don't have enough time to run a full competition due to having to "compromise" to fit in with the NH domestic season and availability of players for the June window.

We've moved our Tri-Nations/Rugby Championship around and even cut one short every four years as a "compromise" to suit the RWC because the NH Unions wont hold the RWC a month later.

Why not start the season earlier?

smartcooky said:
I don't see any similar compromises being made by National Unions up North.

Why should they? The SH are pushing for it and have a much smoother schedule. The SH's problem is they don't want to break up their season into more blocks while in the NH the season is already very fractured.

smartcooky said:

I find it very funny to hear Saracens talk about player welfare last year, when they were pushing for a season change. Player welfare seems to be the mantra the SH is using too while we all know its about money.

If the discussions started by the SH enables a clean up of the NH season format it will have achieved a great deal. It is not that long ago that an ex Welsh international had played 45+ games in a season and was due to go on another summer tour.
How the new NH season can be structured better is a bit of a nightmare with the European Cup games, Autumn Internationals, League games. 6N and then a summer tour to fit in.

Yes every 12 years but its like striking gold for you. The money earned goes a long way. The Lion's unions get battered players who tend to take a year or two to get back to their best.

For ONE union.

As I said, the revenue lost would be more than recouped in the eleven years in between

Why not start the season earlier?

It already starts too early... Super Rugby teams are playing pre-season just after Christmas, at the hottest time of the year. Clearly you have never lived in or even been to New Zealand, Australia or South Africa in summer, where the grounds are like concrete and in the latter two, the temperatures can get into the mid 40s (that's the mid 100s in your money)

Why should they? The SH are pushing for it and have a much smoother schedule. The SH's problem is they don't want to break up their season into more blocks while in the NH the season is already very fractured.

So your argument is that the NH season is a mess (you say so yourself) and we should make our season a mess to make it the same? Excuse me for saying this but that sounds like a very stupid solution.

I find it very funny to hear Saracens talk about player welfare last year, when they were pushing for a season change. Player welfare seems to be the mantra the SH is using too while we all know its about money.

Its actually the mantra of the various rugby player's associations around the globe, and they ARE interested more in player welfare than money.

To be honest, I would not be averse if the SH took their ball home and decided not to participate in the June and October Tests!

The NH season could use the time to reorganize the club fixtures to benefit the players and, most importantly, the supporters.

The thought of NH Union rugby in the summer is as abhorrent as it is to the SH.....in France evening temperatures can still be in the late 30's (which is very welcome to many supporters who go to their holiday homes)!!!!!

smartcooky said:
For ONE union.
As I said, the revenue lost would be more than recouped in the eleven years in between

How? If NZ boycott those test matches, what will they do instead.

smartcooky said:
It already starts too early... Super Rugby teams are playing pre-season just after Christmas, at the hottest time of the year. Clearly you have never lived in or even been to New Zealand, Australia or South Africa in summer, where the grounds are like concrete and in the latter two, the temperatures can get into the mid 40s (that's the mid 100s in your money)

Thats not a NH problem though. You're essentially saying the NH should move seasons to suit the SH.

smartcooky said:
So your argument is that the NH season is a mess (you say so yourself) and we should make our season a mess to make it the same? Excuse me for saying this but that sounds like a very stupid solution.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying the SH should compromise a bit so the NH season could be tidied up a bit. Like for instance, have the summer tours straight after or just before the 6 nations. That would leave the rest of the season for club rugby and once a club don't make the playoffs it would allow NH players over a months extra rest. As it is, they might not make the league playoffs but still have to wait around for the tour down under.

Also, the autumn internationals in Europe come soon after the season has started so we see international players having to come back for that. NZ can rest players for half the super rugby season no problem and have the players fresh for the ABs.

Not only that but club matches have to be played during international matches, which damages the Pro12 in particular. The SH don't have those problems.

smartcooky said:
Its actually the mantra of the various rugby player's associations around the globe, and they ARE interested more in player welfare than money.

Yes but theres also those who are using it to help push their agenda. Kind of like the US mantra of weapons of mass destruction when they were going after Iraqi oil.

I'll tell you what'll happen. The SH teams will threaten to go on strike and World Rugby will step in with compensation. Its a bit of a joke really that Australia were complaining about their finances for years yet they still added a new professional team to super rugby! Whats that all about? Never mind though, World Rugby will cover their costs.

It's a great move by the 2 SH teams. This way, they are now the leaders in this campaign, and can bargain to what suits them. Which is probably a good idea especially since they're higher ranked than the NH teams.

As mentioned above, starting the season earlier in South Africa for example, as it would be damn near impossible to play, and the players welfare will be in serious harm. Not only is October - January our Summer period where we easily get temperatures well over 40 degrees celcius, but it's also when we get rain, and by rain I mean torrential downpours causing floods. I'm sure nobody wants to see matches like the 1995 RWC semi-final between South Africa and France. The heat also causes the rugby pitches to not be in a good condition, that along with the rain causes "potholes" in the field, which could cause injuries to the players.

The NH can't come with the remark "We want" and not come with a solution or idea. Now that NZ and SARU has begun this, they have the right to say "We want"...

Not only that but club matches have to be played during international matches, which damages the Pro12 in particular. The SH don't have those problems.

That's not true, our large domestic tournaments - the ITM Cup, The Currie Cup and the NRC are played during the international season. The ITM Cup have pulled all internationals out of those teams and the Currie Cup did the same for the first time last year (it was running alongside the World Cup). We have just arranged that Super Rugby, the closest thing we have to a European Champions Cup in the SH, happens when there are no international matches. From what i can see from the fixtures For the ECC are also not over international periods. Its the exact same thing in the North and South.

Latest posts