RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/sa-rugby-eyeing-2-more-franchises-20170922

Cape Town - SA Rugby is reportedly planning on forming two new franchises by the end of the year.

A tender process will begin on October 4, with the national rugby governing body looking to have eight professional teams with a four/four split between the southern and northern hemispheres

Interesting news. I see it will be a tender process, which could mean that rugby unions like the Pumas/Griquas/Boland/Falcons/Griffons/Leopards etc. could team up with private companies in order to make a bid.

Actually, I think the Pumas and the Leopards could make a very good case. The Leopards, would be greatly assisted by the North-West University, and they have state of the art facilities.

Whereas the Pumas have been a regular contender in the Premier division of the Currie Cup, and has a settled base in Nelspruit.

I like the idea of a four-four split, and surely this is all part of the planning process towards the global season that will start in 2020.

Also it's comforting to me, to see that yet again, SARU has reiterated it's commitment to Super Rugby and SANZAAR:
Roux however emphasised that SA Rugby remains to SANZAAR beyond 2020

How wonderful for the rest of the world, even more thinly diluted Saffa teams. That's exactly what the Pro14/Anglo Welsh needed...
o_O

How wonderful for the rest of the world, even more thinly diluted Saffa teams. That's exactly what the Pro14/Anglo Welsh needed...
o_O

Ha!

The fact that they say it will be a tender process, makes me think that there will be financial obligations placed on the new franchises, which could mean that their players might be getting a decent salary.

The hope is that this plan will curb the vast exodus of players heading overseas, and maybe having more of them staying in SA while still competing in NH based tournaments.

Any person willing to commit millions to a business which you know you will never be allowed to run as you please(come in rules enforced by ANC), would be an idiot. We don't need any more teams, we need freedom for the existing teams.

PS: Sorry Heineken, not growling at you, just ticked of at the very idea of more teams....

Where would they play?
England doesn't want them, France doesn't want them, and there's already 500 sides in the pro-∞
Are they going to set up a Super Rugby NH bracket?

Where would they play?
England doesn't want them, France doesn't want them, and there's already 500 sides in the pro-∞
Are they going to set up a Super Rugby NH bracket?

According to the article, they are interested in the Anglo-Welsh cup. But I'm sure that they will look at every avenue or tournament available and which would make the most sense financially and competitively to join.

But Olyy, why so negative about this?? There is already so many Saffas playing in the Anglo-Welsh cup, with the guys already in NH, we can already make up 2 teams...

I have to join the negative pile until the Cheetahs and / or Kings show they can challenge for a playoff spot in the Pro14 - which almost certainly can't happen this year.

I don't think SA franchises in European leagues will have the financial clout to lure back European based South Africans. Not in year one anyway. The teams will have to be a success on and off the park to have any chance of that.

According to the article, they are interested in the Anglo-Welsh cup. But I'm sure that they will look at every avenue or tournament available and which would make the most sense financially and competitively to join.

But Olyy, why so negative about this?? There is already so many Saffas playing in the Anglo-Welsh cup, with the guys already in NH, we can already make up 2 teams...
Well they literally couldn't join the English or French leagues due to the structure - promotion/relegation all the way down to grassroots. You'd never get the club's signing off on it (which they'd have to) as it is them signing their own relegation/death sentence.
Anglo Welsh cup could work but the comp is dying as it is, low attendances, low interest, sides putting out low level squads. I can't see how adding to made up sides with no relevance to UK rugby would add anything to it.

Call me a cynic but I don't see why we should dilute our leagues with sides deemed not good enough for super rugby, or micky mouse made up teams who want to get in on the advertising money.

I have nothing against South African sides or south African rugby but I don't see the point of adding them to NH comps. For the level of competitiveness and the crowds they're drawing we should have added a Romania and/or Georgia side (as in make a franchise of their best players, So essentially add the countries) to the pro12

Is there a compromise or quid pro quo that would allow NH sides to compete in the Currie Cup?

Best case scenario if new franchises are formed and join the Anglo-Welsh Cup is the teams will play 6 games in a competition that nobody really cares about. I can't see anybody investing in that.

SA could sustain 4 franchises in European competitions. First they have to get the Kings and Cheetahs up to a high enough standard. If that happens and they repatriate a lot of SA players from European clubs to their own franchises (eg Ulster lose 3/4 of their team to the Kings or Cheetahs) then new franchises would be welcome in the Pro14 expanded to Pro16. A 4 team SA conference, 4 team Irish conference, 4 team Welsh conference and 4 team Scottish/Italian conference makes a lot of sense. More sense than adding North American teams anyway.

The logical route, just knew that SARU wouldn't be happy with 2 in 4 out.

It is a bit soon, but then again the longer we wait, the less competitive these franchises will be next year or the year after.
Very happy that instead of proposing a 3 - 3 split we're talking growth, even if we can't quite handle it yet.

Pumas is an obvious choice for ascension, @TRF_heineken you make good points about the Leopards, but I can't help yearning to see NH teams playing rugga on concrete NC fields against the Griquas, and you could argue that the Griquas have been the closest to the SR unions in terms of breaking into the main CC comp over the last couple of years

There are rumours of us teams joining the aw cup in the near future as well.

Basically means the AW cup is being abandoned, and replaced.

As long as there isn't a net increase in games played for the senior club sides, I wouldn't necessarily be against it.

i think it's a great idea. Maybe stop the player drain up North. The Country has over 50million people. It can support 8 top professional teams.

Also it's comforting to me, to see that yet again, SARU has reiterated it's commitment to Super Rugby and SANZAAR:

I'm not really in favour of staying with SANZAAR. Money and travel being the big gripes. Am I missing something?

I'm not really in favour of staying with SANZAAR. Money and travel being the big gripes. Am I missing something?

Well, as others have noted, the Leinster side that came to Bloemfontein was far inferior to the Crusaders side that came last year in SR. With that as context one could say that the PRO 14 is the inferior competition.

I actually think that PRO 14 is more at risk as a league than Super Rugby. Super Rugby has teams in major global cities with large populations (plus NZ) and PRO 14 does not. I think that it will be far harder for PRO 14 to grow revenue than Super Rugby in the next 10 yrs. People are mad that SR expanded to Tokyo and Buenos Aires with pops greater than 10M but think it's OK that PRO 14 expanded to Bloemfontein and Port Elizabeth?

I also don't know why people think that SA playing in the NH will bring more revenue to SA teams. Everyone needs to earn their own money. PRO 14 unions want more money too. They are not going to give anything away to SA. It is much easier to earn money in Cape Town, Gautang and Durban than Bloemfontein and Port Elizabeth. SARU made their own decision to keep the largest markets in SR.

SANZAAR also has the rugby championship, which is the comp that earns the most revenue. As far as I can tell, everyone in SA wants to keep playing in it. SA would have to be invited to play in the 6 nations for SA to leave SANZAAR.

Also, as an American, I can tell you that SANZAAR has very well developed broadcaster relationships. They are much farther along with ESPN than any other rugby content provider is over here with any other broadcaster.

Well, as others have noted, the Leinster side that came to Bloemfontein was far inferior to the Crusaders side that came last year in SR. With that as context one could say that the PRO 14 is the inferior competition.

I actually think that PRO 14 is more at risk as a league than Super Rugby. Super Rugby has teams in major global cities with large populations (plus NZ) and PRO 14 does not. I think that it will be far harder for PRO 14 to grow revenue than Super Rugby in the next 10 yrs. People are mad that SR expanded to Tokyo and Buenos Aires with pops greater than 10M but think it's OK that PRO 14 expanded to Bloemfontein and Port Elizabeth?

I also don't know why people think that SA playing in the NH will bring more revenue to SA teams. Everyone needs to earn their own money. PRO 14 unions want more money too. They are not going to give anything away to SA. It is much easier to earn money in Cape Town, Gautang and Durban than Bloemfontein and Port Elizabeth. SARU made their own decision to keep the largest markets in SR.

SANZAAR also has the rugby championship, which is the comp that earns the most revenue. As far as I can tell, everyone in SA wants to keep playing in it. SA would have to be invited to play in the 6 nations for SA to leave SANZAAR.

Also, as an American, I can tell you that SANZAAR has very well developed broadcaster relationships. They are much farther along with ESPN than any other rugby content provider is over here with any other broadcaster.
From a rugby perspective SANZAAR is more appealing (I'm viewing SR and the RC separately. RC makes sense compared to SR). I may be incorrect but I think most of the money comes from broadcast deals? Hence one of the reasons why SA pulls the most money into SANZAAR because (1) the rugby market in SA is relatively big (offset being the weak Rand) and (2) attracting viewers from Europe because of the favourable time zone.

Latest posts