• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SA support for Kiwis is sickening - what a load of %^$%^$

Icemn

First XV
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
http://www.keo.co.za/2011/05/27/kiwi-support-is-sickening/comment-page-14/#comment-1884405

SA support for Kiwis is sickening

27 May 2011
MARK KEOHANE, in his Business Day Sport Monthly column, says there is no sense to betraying one's own.
If we are indeed about freedom of choice and expression in this country of ours then the support of New Zealand teams by a large section of Cape-based coloureds should be applauded as another example of what makes this country special.
Then again, the same should apply to those white South Africans who still believe in the Vierkleur flag and their right to support a team made up only of white players.
We should also be allowing those rugby supporters with their old South African flags into stadiums and allow them freedom of choice to sing the anthem of their choice and support the team of their choice. It could be argued that's also an example of what makes this country so special.
Freedom of choice? Come on, it isn't as simple as that in post-apartheid South Africa. If whites have adapted – some against their will – then surely those in Cape Town especially, with designs on New Zealand as a country and New Zealanders as people, should get on the first plane to Auckland and not come back.
I am sick and tired of hearing the argument that so many coloured people support the All Blacks because of apartheid and because their black heroes were in the New Zealand team and never allowed to play in a Bok jersey.
For the record, it was only in 1970 that the New Zealand Rugby Union ever picked non-white players to tour South Africa. And by the time Super Rugby started in 1996 and New Zealand's regional franchises toured South Africa we had been a democracy for two years where everyone's vote – black and white – counted.
It irks me to hear Cape-based coloureds with no connection to New Zealand and no experience of the country put the people of New Zealand, the country and the rugby on such a pedestal. It irks me because they should be reserving that kind of loyalty, passion and dedication for their own team and country.
It is mystifying to see such a large number of coloureds cheering for a predominantly white New Zealand franchise team against a Stormers side in which so many coloured players excel.
It is embarrassing that Stormers captain Schalk Burger feels compelled to say that his team felt like they were playing in Christchurch, such was the support for the Crusaders when they played the Stormers in Cape Town.
It was disgusting that some of the Stormers players were verbally abused and insulted when they got off the bus – at their home stadium – by those who have only ever known Cape Town as a home. These same people then worship at the feet of those getting out of the New Zealand team's bus.
In 2006 the All Blacks stayed at the Elangeni Hotel in Durban in preparation for the Tri-Nations Test against the Springboks. I also stayed there for the week and about 50 coloured supporters from Cape Town had travelled to Durban, dressed as All Blacks to show support.
I confronted a few in that week and their response was typical – that the All Blacks were about non-racial rugby and the Springboks were always about whites only. It was 2006 and these guys wouldn't listen to any argument about life having moved forward in a democratic South Africa and about a Springbok team picked without racial prejudice.
Five years on and the same argument is presented. I hear the odd coloured bloke say he only supports the New Zealand teams because they play the better rugby and are a pleasure to watch.
What then to make of the 2010 match at Newlands when the Stormers hammered the Crusaders 42-14? The better rugby argument is lame.
In 2006 the All Blacks players, the core of them initially humbled by the fanatical support of South Africans for the black jersey, got fed up with it. They couldn't move in their hotel without interference, interruption and hearing anti-South Africa abuse.
A senior All Black and member of management eventually addressed the lobby contingent and asked them to give the players some space and to back off. He also said the Boks were a great team, South Africa a wonderful country and that the men in green deserved as much passionate support. It had no impact on these blokes, who failed to see how embarrassing the situation had become.
If white Capetonians pitched up at Newlands wearing khaki, waving apartheid government flags and screaming abuse at New Zealand teams because of the Pacific Island and Maori representation, there would rightly be as much abuse shouted back at these morons from locals who live in this country and accept it as home. Why must the coloured Kiwi supporter be exempted?
It sickens me because those I have spoken to about it are arrogant and ignorant and there isn't a worse cocktail to describe stupidity. I tried to make sense of it, but there isn't any sense to betraying one's own – and what I experienced recently at Newlands when the Crusaders played the Stormers was a betrayal of the Stormers players.
To those in the coloured community who refuse to support South African teams against New Zealand opposition, stop looking to the past for justification. I'd say the same to white South Africans.
Start enjoying the present of a country whose people are encouraged to transform, and start putting your own players on a pedestal. You may find the rugby experience is actually enjoyable.
– This column first appeared in the June issue of Business Day Sport Monthly.

this the sort of crap that makes me sick!!!!:mad:

This <acronym ***le="Keep it clean!">****</acronym> makes me sick to my stomach…….i really lost respect for KEO!!!!
why is it always referred to race when talking about supporting the all blacks???
It is always being referred to as "we coloureds" support the AB because of apartheid….i always have to defend as to why i support the Blacks…..well, since "race" is always laid on the table….let me tell / ask you this…why is it never mentioned about the SA "white" AB supporter??? why is it never mentioned that the AB team has more white players in their squad than the so called coloured/Maori players???? why???? i don't care about race…..i think the SA white population feels guilty about apartheid…..because the old coloured population used to support the AB team because of this…now the "white" population feels that if people still support them they feel the same about the country……this is very sad….being 27 years old and supporting the AB has nothing to do with race or apartheid, i was born in 1983, when i probably realized what is going on in the world i must have been what 12.....that was in 1995….wasn't the election in 1994???? what did i know about apartheid then???..and no my father didn't tell me fck SA, support the AB cuz of what is going on in this country..my dad doesn't watch sports and most of my uncles Support SA and 1 supports Aus....I'm the only AB in the family.....i love the way the AB play running rugby…my favorite players played for the AB...Christian Cullen.....Jeff Wilson......Tana...Lomu.....these are exciting players.....the AB strength is their back-line and they play exciting rugby…the boks on the other hand play "a win at any cost" style…they play with their forwards and play a kicking game…the SA public doesn't care about how the boks play..all they care about is a win….the boks can kick for post the whole day or park the bus once they are ahead and the fans are happy as long as they win….the AB score tries and beautiful tries…they have players with ball skills that are athletes…not kamp staaldraad….why is it always a problem if i support the ABs???? why isn't it a problem when South Africans support the English cricket team???? of if they support the Australian cricket team? cuz i know a few that do….why isn't it a problem if South Africans support the English National Football team? or the Spanish Football team???? or Man UTD or Liverpool instead of the SA football teams??? what is the difference??? isn't the principal the same??? this kind of articles makes me sick…..the other thing that people ask you is, if you are part of a AB supporters club???…and if you not you are not a true AB supporter……this makes me laugh…..are you part of a Boks supporters club??? my buddies are not part of a Man UTD supporters club but they are "valid" Man UTD supporters……why do i need to be part of a AB supporters club to be valid?????it makes me proud to be a AB supporter….

Last edited:
Support whatever bloomin' team you want to - If they want to support New Zealand then so be it, they're supporting the teams their Father supported, and his Father etc.

To say that it is sickening is just hyperbole

I think its unfortunate that they don't feel part of the local rugby culture but they can support whomever they want. All we can do is try and bring a better rugby product to them. At the same time it would be nice to have everyone in town back our team and I can understand a sense of betrayal as I feel it myself and I'm sure the players do as well, particularly colored Stormers players who leave everything on the field for their team.

Last edited:
I think its unfortunate that they don't feel part of the local rugby culture but they can support whomever they want. All we can do is try and bring a better rugby product to them. At the same time it would be nice to have everyone in town back our team and I can understand a sense of betrayal as I feel it myself and I'm sure the players do as well, particularly colored Stormers players who leave everything on the field for their team.

my friend...i can give you names of coloured SA players that played for the boks...and some still do...that supported the AB...and some of them still do....why doesn't bafana complain about all the Man UTD supporters??? do they feel betrayed??? what is the difference??? i just can't understand this???

the other thing i can't understand is that some guys support the stormers on a club level and 2morow they are the biggest Ab on national level :? that doesn't make sense..its like chalk and cheese..they play 2 complete diff game styles :? teh stormers can park the bus as the yare defensive and the AB play attacking rugby with crap defence....what is you answer to that? as it can't be racial....

Support whatever bloomin' team you want to - If they want to support New Zealand then so be it, they're supporting the teams their Father supported, and his Father etc.

To say that it is sickening is just hyperbole

So you would be pro supporters pitching up with the Oranje Banje blou singing the old anthem then too ?

I mean, their fathers did it, their father's father did it.

I think the whole point of this wasn't the supporting of NZ teams rather than SA teams, it's the -reason- for them supporting the NZ teams rather than the SA teams.

It's sickening there are Crusaders fans in Brisbane!
nah jokes, support whoever team you want as long as you don't bandwagon.

my friend...i can give you names of coloured SA players that played for the boks...and some still do...that supported the AB...and some of them still do....why doesn't bafana complain about all the Man UTD supporters??? do they feel betrayed??? what is the difference??? i just can't understand this???

the other thing i can't understand is that some guys support the stormers on a club level and 2morow they are the biggest Ab on national level :? that doesn't make sense..its like chalk and cheese..they play 2 complete diff game styles :? teh stormers can park the bus as the yare defensive and the AB play attacking rugby with crap defence....what is you answer to that? as it can't be racial....

Well, I don't know if I am reading your first paragraph wrongly but I don't have a clue what it has to do with the post I made or what point you are trying to make? You are saying some of the colored players or a player that is still playing for the Bokke are AB supporters? What bearing does this have on anything I said?

As for the last part of your first paragraph the difference in the Man U/Bafana Bafana case is that the two don't really compete against each other now do they? I am a fan of RM as well but I'd be surprised if anyone thought I am betraying my local team supporting a foreign team that has nothing to do with CC, S15 or test rugby. How you bring these totally disparate scenario's together to try and 'illustrate' a point is beyond me.

2nd paragraph I also don't see what you're getting at. What is my answer to what? I am not saying they can't support who they want. I thought I made that clear. I am saying it is sad (from the vantage point of a WP/SA fan) to see other people living in your city supporting the direct opposition. Surely you can understand the difference?

Last edited:
I don't know what this means.

He suggests that those symbols (Oranje blanje blou - the flag [Orange white and blue] and the old anthem) are associated with oppression and that it would be wrong for contemporary fans to bring those to a game as it alienates a large section of the people and that 'because our fathers did it' isn't a valid excuse as it divides the nation. He also implies that if the reason these people support the Crusaders/AB is based on racial differences of the past then continuing to do so has the same effect of dividing the nation along racial lines. Why should one group of people give up their heritage and another not if both have an alienating effect in the current social environment? That is based on the premise that it is in fact based on racial lines which I expect is a shaded affair. If they do so to bandwagon, which I assume many are, well that is something totally different (although I think it's just silly supporting a team for no other reason than that they are successful).

I read though the article and still feel we are all entitled to our own opinion. It’s needless to try and convince someone that he/she should or should not support whoever he feels to support on viewpoints mentioned in article. If you want to support a team then you should feel free to do so and not let someone else tell you otherwise!

I myself admire the way the All Blacks play their rugby and consider them a huge challenge each time South Africa has to face them. I do feel that these issues being raised are inappropriate to what we need to believe. For example the Bulls played the Stormers the other day and there was just as much support for them at Loftus as would be the case elsewhere. We need to remember that each teams support base stretches beyond just were the team is located. :)<O:p</O:p

Well, I don't know if I am reading your first paragraph wrongly but I don't have a clue what it has to do with the post I made or what point you are trying to make? You are saying some of the colored players or a player that is still playing for the Bokke are AB supporters? What bearing does this have on anything I said?

As for the last part of your first paragraph the difference in the Man U/Bafana Bafana case is that the two don't really compete against each other now do they? I am a fan of RM as well but I'd be surprised if anyone thought I am betraying my local team supporting a foreign team that has nothing to do with CC, S15 or test rugby. How you bring these totally disparate scenario's together to try and 'illustrate' a point is beyond me.

2nd paragraph I also don't see what you're getting at. What is my answer to what? I am not saying they can't support who they want. I thought I made that clear. I am saying it is sad (from the vantage point of a WP/SA fan) to see other people living in your city supporting the direct opposition. Surely you can understand the difference?

lets take a step back...this article is about the Crudaders fans at newlands vs the stormers right??? "leave the utd vs bafana cuz they dont compete" quickly....
why wasn't it an issue when Newlands had 90% Man UTD fans and 10% Kaizer Chiefs fans when the 2 teams played in Cape Town????? why wasn't it an issue???? isn't it the same principle in relation to the Stormers vs Crusaders game???? lets compare apples with apples here quickly….why didn't a Bafana Bafana journalist wrote something like this??? accusing SA public for supporting another team etc etc….

SA has more international football fans than local soccer fans.....most people i know support Brazil internationally...the others Spain/Argentina but no-one complains about that....why only do they judge you when you support a NZ franchise of the NZ national team?!?!?!?

@ the article.

hahaha, Crusaders have bandwagon fans all over the globe, people need to get over it. Whether or not people are justified in supporting a certain team is also an irrelevant topic, there is no rational reason to support any sport team over another.

Also, members of the public abusing Stormers' players is entirely another issue. Don't mix the two.

I also find it weird how he starts the article promoting freedom of choice, yet ends the article telling people who they should support.

lets take a step back...this article is about the Crudaders fans at newlands vs the stormers right??? "leave the utd vs bafana cuz they dont compete" quickly....
why wasn't it an issue when Newlands had 90% Man UTD fans and 10% Kaizer Chiefs fans when the 2 teams played in Cape Town????? why wasn't it an issue???? isn't it the same principle in relation to the Stormers vs Crusaders game???? lets compare apples with apples here quickly….why didn't a Bafana Bafana journalist wrote something like this??? accusing SA public for supporting another team etc etc….

SA has more international football fans than local soccer fans.....most people i know support Brazil internationally...the others Spain/Argentina but no-one complains about that....why only do they judge you when you support a NZ franchise of the NZ national team?!?!?!?

Bloody hell, try responding to a post for once rather than go on a new tangent every post. But I'll bite..

Even though your new example doesn't have anywhere close to the same socio-political baggage as the actual issue and can't really be used to compare apples with apples so to speak I still feel it is sad that local people can't find that pride in their local team and I do think the demise of parochialism take a lot away from sport (and I personally further think that it is evident in areas/peoples with a lack culture/pride) and thus, yes I do feel it is an 'issue'. Not that it keeps me up LOL. Please note that I say I find it sad. Not sickening. I don't tell people who to support, I just think its sad that people can't find value in their own.

I don't know what this means.

I'm thinking you didn't even read the article.

Kinda like Woldog said, but imagine this bandwagon as a decrepit near 20 year old donkey cart, transporting a ton of manure. Basically it's full of ****, and so are the people on it.

Also, what stormer2010 said a bit earlier, that basically my views on it.
Again, I have no problem with people supporting teams that re not from around here, I myself support the Stormers and I was born and raised in Pretoria / Centurion. What I've got a problem with is just the way people are using this racial excuse to act negative towards SA teams because apparently they're "anti colored".

Last edited:
Bloody hell, try responding to a post for once rather than go on a new tangent every post. But I'll bite..

Even though your new example doesn't have anywhere close to the same socio-political baggage as the actual issue and can't really be used to compare apples with apples so to speak I still feel it is sad that local people can't find that pride in their local team and I do think the demise of parochialism take a lot away from sport (and I personally further think that it is evident in areas/peoples with a lack culture/pride) and thus, yes I do feel it is an 'issue'. Not that it keeps me up LOL. Please note that I say I find it sad. Not sickening. I don't tell people who to support, I just think its sad that people can't find value in their own.

ah ha..thank you...that is what i wanted you to say....socio-political baggage....wtf bru?!?!?!? race/politics has nothing to with why i support the AB?!?!?!? why can't you guys understand that....i can't be proud of a stormer running maul game.....or SA Forward based gameplan using the backline as a last resort.kicking in the corner and running maul the whole time...why can't you understand that.....why refering to politics and race and all the excuses you guys come up with....that is the point i'm trying to make by naming Man UTD the whole time...cuz no-one cares about who supports them....they do care however if you support teh Crusaders :? why is it a problem??? i support the Hurricanes...what is the problem?

ah ha..thank you...that is what i wanted you to say....socio-political baggage....wtf bru?!?!?!? race/politics has nothing to with why i support the AB?!?!?!? why can't you guys understand that....i can't be proud of a stormer running maul game.....or SA Forward based gameplan using the backline as a last resort.kicking in the corner and running maul the whole time...why can't you understand that.....why refering to politics and race and all the excuses you guys come up with....that is the point i'm trying to make by naming Man UTD the whole time...cuz no-one cares about who supports them....they do care however if you support teh Crusaders :? why is it a problem??? i support the Hurricanes...what is the problem?

I think we are talking past each other here. If you read my posts you would have read that I said that I have no problem with it where it isn't related to the past in SA. People need to move on. I even said that I suspect that race and the past isn't the motivating factor for most of those supporter. Other than that I have no issues whatsoever and of course people are free to support who they want.

On a seperate note though its related and this is where I think that supporting any old team for shits and giggles becomes silly at some stage, I just think that provincialism is dying a slow death in rugby and that's sad because its what adds a lot of spice to encounters isn't it; that sense of belonging. I mean whats the point in playing test rugby at all when people dont support their countries any more and anyone from any country can play for any team. At some point that just gets silly. The two are totally seperate points though.

I really don't think you guys should worry about it.

I'm a long time Auckland and Blues fan, and because of the urban drift and immigration, a GREAT deal of Auckland's population support a team other than Auckland.

Here's a recent example: The Stormers fans at Eden Park. It was like the whole of Auckland's North Shore emptied out to support the Cape Town team.
Also whenever another NZ team plays at Eden Park- there are just about as many opposition fans as there are Auckland/Blues fans.

There's nothing you can do about it, except stick it up them when their team loses to your team!

Latest posts