• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SA to host 2019 RWC?

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
So, according to News24 (see link below), there are concerns over Japan's ability to host the 2019 RWC and SA officials have supposedly been approached to detemine if SA might take over IF Japan were not able to give assurances of their capability to sucessfully host the installment after that of the upcoming RWC.

Erm, after 1995 and especially 2010 I am sure we are in a great position to take over on short notice. The issue of unabridged passports for minors would be my only concern. I'd have loved to visit Japan and thought 2019 would be the perfect excuse but if it can be in my own backyard I'm all for it! Make it (not) happen, Japan!

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SA-on-standby-for-RWC-2019-20150903

This comes days after the 2022 Commonwealth Games were assigned to Durban. Getting this plus the 2019 Rugby World Cup would be amazing for South Africa.

I am just worried about the countries reaching the quota of 30% black players on their teams ;)

This comes days after the 2022 Commonwealth Games were assigned to Durban. Getting this plus the 2019 Rugby World Cup would be amazing for South Africa.

I am just worried about the countries reaching the quota of 30% black players on their teams ;)

You mean 50% post 2015! Whether thats rounded up or down (15 and 31 are both odd) I wouldn't know.

So I guess (assuming there's an element of truth to these reports) this means that World Rugby aren't considering banning the Bokke again for political interference and racial bias. Why am I not surprised.

I don't see why we would do that.

We are one of the bidders for the 2023 RWC. Which will put is in a better position because it will give us efficient time to prepare the stadiums. Remember that not all our Rugby Stadiums were used for the 2010 Fifa World Cup. For example, Kings Park in Durban as well as Newlands in Cape Town wasn't used. Ellis Park and Loftus Versveld was used, and then the Boet Erasmus stadium was completely revamped to the new Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium.

Wouldn't it be better speaking from a job creating perspective as well as a preparation perspective to not host the 2019 RWC?

I don't see why we would do that.

We are one of the bidders for the 2023 RWC. Which will put is in a better position because it will give us efficient time to prepare the stadiums. Remember that not all our Rugby Stadiums were used for the 2010 Fifa World Cup. For example, Kings Park in Durban as well as Newlands in Cape Town wasn't used. Ellis Park and Loftus Versveld was used, and then the Boet Erasmus stadium was completely revamped to the new Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium.

Wouldn't it be better speaking from a job creating perspective as well as a preparation perspective to not host the 2019 RWC?

I'd say the sooner the better. As is we are capable of hosting I'd imagine and jobs now > jobs later IM admittedly naive O.

Sure, Newlands etc will probably not be up to current standards but they won't need to host while we have all of:

Soccer City (~85k seats)
Cape Town Stadium (64k)
Moses Mabhida in Durbs (62k)
Ellis Park, Loftus, Nelson Mandela and Kings Park (all around 50k) which could all host.. how many stadia do we really need to host?

Last edited:
How much time do you need effectively? South Africa has 9 stadiums ready to be used...

Newlands, Kings Park, Loftus, Ellis Park, Free State Stadium, Soccer City, Mbombela stadium, Green Point Stadium.

I don't consider the other Durban stadium fit for rugby since it's open on both ends.

I don't think the Provicial unions will see it that way.

Western Province already has a massive issue with Rugby being played at the Cape Town Stadium instead of the Newlands stadium.

My guess is the same would apply to The Sharks union.

And it would be nice to use those stadiums to reminisce about 1995. I watched Springbok Saga again last night, and they showed the 95 RWc and the EOYT after that when Kitch Kristie was still coach. Brings back a lot of good memories.

I don't think the Provicial unions will see it that way.

Western Province already has a massive issue with Rugby being played at the Cape Town Stadium instead of the Newlands stadium.

My guess is the same would apply to The Sharks union.

And it would be nice to use those stadiums to reminisce about 1995. I watched Springbok Saga again last night, and they showed the 95 RWc and the EOYT after that when Kitch Kristie was still coach. Brings back a lot of good memories.

The Moses Mahdiba stadium in Durban is not suited for rugby. The Sharks refused to play there because of it.

To host the World Cup, England now has 13 stadiums. In decreasing order of capacity, with SA's alternative listed next to it:

Wembley (90.000) <-> Soccer City (94.736)
Twickenham (82.000) <-> Ellis Park (62.567)
Millennium Stadium (74.500) <-> Odi Stadium (60.000)
City of Manchester Stadium (55.097) <-> Green Point Stadium (55.000)
London Olympic Stadium (54.000) <-> Kings Park (52.000)
St. James' Park (52.387) <-> Loftus Versfeld (51.762)
Villa Park (42.788) <-> Newlands (51.100)
Elland Road (37.900) <-> Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium (48.459)
Leicester City Stadium (32.262) <-> Royal Bafokeng Stadium (42.000)
Brighton Community Stadium (30.750) <-> Peter Mokaba Stadium (41.733)
MK Stadium (30.500) <-> Mbombela Stadium (40.929)
Kingsholm Stadium (16.500) <-> Olën Park (22.000)
Sandy Park (12.300) <-> Griquas Park (18.000)

This list doesn't even include the following stadiums:

Phakisa Freeway (60.000)
Mmabatho Stadium (59.000)
Cape Town Stadium (55.000)
Free State Stadium (40.911)
Orlando Stadium (40.000)
Jo.burg Stadium (37.500)
Rand Stadium (30.000)
Athlone Stadium (30.000)
Supersport Park (22.000)
Giyani Stadium (20.000)
Danie Craven Stadium (16.000)

South Africa has more than enough stadiums to host the World Cup without causing interference with the Currie Cup or Premier League.

ââ'¬â€¹Ã¢â'¬â€¹
The Moses Mahdiba stadium in Durban is not suited for rugby. The Sharks refused to play there because of it.

To host the World Cup, England now has 13 stadiums. In decreasing order of capacity, with SA's alternative listed next to it:

Wembley (90.000) <-> Soccer City (94.736)
Twickenham (82.000) <-> Ellis Park (62.567)
Millennium Stadium (74.500) <-> Odi Stadium (60.000)
City of Manchester Stadium (55.097) <-> Green Point Stadium (55.000)
London Olympic Stadium (54.000) <-> Kings Park (52.000)
St. James' Park (52.387) <-> Loftus Versfeld (51.762)
Villa Park (42.788) <-> Newlands (51.100)
Elland Road (37.900) <-> Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium (48.459)
Leicester City Stadium (32.262) <-> Royal Bafokeng Stadium (42.000)
Brighton Community Stadium (30.750) <-> Peter Mokaba Stadium (41.733)
MK Stadium (30.500) <-> Mbombela Stadium (40.929)
Kingsholm Stadium (16.500) <-> Olën Park (22.000)
Sandy Park (12.300) <-> Griquas Park (18.000)

This list doesn't even include the following stadiums:

Phakisa Freeway (60.000)
Mmabatho Stadium (59.000)
Cape Town Stadium (55.000)
Free State Stadium (40.911)
Orlando Stadium (40.000)
Jo.burg Stadium (37.500)
Rand Stadium (30.000)
Athlone Stadium (30.000)
Supersport Park (22.000)
Giyani Stadium (20.000)
Danie Craven Stadium (16.000)

South Africa has more than enough stadiums to host the World Cup without causing interference with the Currie Cup or Premier League.

I am not sure where you got that list, but firstly Phakisa Freeway is a racing track in the Free State, Mmabatho Stadium and Rand Stadium due to their layout aren't suited for rugby, plus they are in some very dodgy areas, same goes for Giyani Stadium. Odi Stadium is also a football ground with no fixed seats seats, just old school concrete seating. A game at Daniel Craven would be fantastic, as a student the atmosphere was amazing for Varsity Cup games there. Any game would be well supported by students and seen as an excuse to drink.

And what about Peter Mokaba Stadium in Polokwane or as I like to call it Polokloftus... It was a Fifa World Stadium and can seat 45000 people.

Some of those stadiums Zeke, just won't work for Rugby...

Let's use the current 8 Currie Cup Premier league teams and their Stadiums:

Newlands
Ellis Park
Loftus
Kings Park
Free State Stadium
Griqua Park
Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium
Mbombela Stadium

Add Soccer City

Then add some stadium that have hosted Rugby Matches (intl and local):

Witbank Stadium
Soweto Stadium
Peter Mokaba Stadium
Pietermaritzburg Rugby Stadium
George Stadium

Already we have 14.

I'm not denying that we have the infrastructure. I just think some of these stadiums can certainly do with a touch-up, and 5 years might not be enough...

Last edited:
The reason I listed those stadiums, is because South Africa doesn't need time to prepare for a tournament. If they want to bid for the 2023 World Cup, the infrastructure is already in place.

That, and it would be good to host a tournament without it costing a ****load again to build/renovate stadiums

The whole point of hosting the tournament in Japan was to take rugby to new territories and open up new markets. Many thought they should have had it back in 2011. So if they can't have it, I would REALLY prefer to see it be held somewhere that rugby isn't usually on the radar. South America? North America? I have no idea. Not necessarily those places, before anyone jumps on me. Just as examples, somewhere that rugby hasn't tapped into so much.

I appreciate the arguments that I've seen around the internet that you don't want to see empty stadiums. Yes, but by the same token you don't want to keep having them held in England, Australia, New Zealand and SA. The main problem with this is that I don't think / not sure if anywhere else would have the stadiums suitable for rugby either. I don't want to see grounds ripping up every 5 seconds in soccer-dominated countries. Nothing annoys me more than that - going to play international rugby in a sandpit practically.

I'm sure as an absolute last resort South Africa could step up to the plate. I don't have any issue with it being them, it's just that like I said; the sooner we can tap into an 'outside' market the better. As for needing a touch up, I'm sure things aren't that bad. You certainly have the capacity and enthusiasm on your side. Some of the smaller stadiums used in 2011 for NZ weren't exactly flash.

The whole point of hosting the tournament in Japan was to take rugby to new territories and open up new markets. Many thought they should have had it back in 2011. So if they can't have it, I would REALLY prefer to see it be held somewhere that rugby isn't usually on the radar. South America? North America? I have no idea. Not necessarily those places, before anyone jumps on me. Just as examples, somewhere that rugby hasn't tapped into so much.

I appreciate the arguments that I've seen around the internet that you don't want to see empty stadiums. Yes, but by the same token you don't want to keep having them held in England, Australia, New Zealand and SA. The main problem with this is that I don't think / not sure if anywhere else would have the stadiums suitable for rugby either. I don't want to see grounds ripping up every 5 seconds in soccer-dominated countries. Nothing annoys me more than that - going to play international rugby in a sandpit practically.

I'm sure as an absolute last resort South Africa could step up to the plate. I don't have any issue with it being them, it's just that like I said; the sooner we can tap into an 'outside' market the better. As for needing a touch up, I'm sure things aren't that bad. You certainly have the capacity and enthusiasm on your side. Some of the smaller stadiums used in 2011 for NZ weren't exactly flash.
Well I guess this is based on the assumption that if Japan couldn't host in 4 years, another developing nation would have equal trouble hosting in 4 years. Personally I was also quite keen to go to Japan in 2019 so I'm not that keen to see this happen (with the addendum that I expect us to get the 2023 nod).

Well I guess this is based on the assumption that if Japan couldn't host in 4 years, another developing nation would have equal trouble hosting in 4 years. Personally I was also quite keen to go to Japan in 2019 so I'm not that keen to see this happen (with the addendum that I expect us to get the 2023 nod).

I was hoping to save up for England's RWC this year and time (and crazy pricing) caught me out. A tournament here would just be that much more accessible. Otherwise, yes, 2023 is ours or there will be blood!!!!!

The only reason why we are rumoured to be the back-up nation is because we have enough Stadiums still in a good condition because of another sport's World Cup Event, and that the last time we hosted a Rugby World Cup, it was more than 20 years ago so a lot have changed since then.

As for the pitches ripping up. That is mostly applicable to only our coastal stadiums, Durban, Newlands and Nelson Mandela Bay stadium. And that usually happens during the raining season. But to be honest it would be very easy to change the turf if needs be. Loftus Verveld removed it's entire pitch in 2013 when there was some kind of parasite infesting on the grass, making some dry areas. They removed the old grass, installed a new sprinkler and drainage system and then laid the entire field again in 3 months time (From November 2013 to January 2014). When the Super Rugby tournament started again, the pitch was again in great condition.

Our Soccer Fields host more than just soccer events, and the grass on them isn't the same as in other Soccer playing nations, mostly because of the weather conditions we have and the limited source of water in some areas. I think we are fine on that front.

Latest posts