• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sad day for SA Sevens

S

Steve-o

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
asivuyo20zangqa.jpg

Serious car accident

Unfortunately today is also a sad day for South African rugby and I want to share this with you.

I am not sure how many of you know that Vuyo Zangqa was in a serious car accident last week, in which he sustained severe facial injuries.

My understanding is that he will lose his left eye as a result of the accident. It is hard to fathom Vuyo returning to a level where he can play international Sevens again with only one eye.

I recall former Western Transvaal flyhalf Tjaart Marais who coped very well with only one eye, but the game has progresses a lot since those days.

Whatever the final outcome, I will remember Vuyo’s contribution to the “Blitsbokke†for a long, long time.

He was one of the quiet guys in the side, but his wicked side-step, acceleration and soft hands made him one of the best on the circuit. He also provided coach Paul Treu with a perfect foil to Renfred Dazel.

If we don’t see Vuyo on the rugby field again, it will be very sad, but his health and recovery should be paramount. Thanks for the memories anyway Vuyo. It was an honour to watch you play and represent your country with so much dignity and talent on continents all over the world.

Zangqa was due to play for the Southern Kings as well, one of a couple of Sevens players that will be in action on Tuesday.[/b]
Source

Terrible news. He was very prominent in the Sevens this year and looked to have a long career on the Sevens circuit. Get well Vuyo.

Really sad news, especially after South Africa's triumph in the Sevens series. I hope he gets well.
What's even stranger is he's the second Sevens player to be hit by a car this year, an Australian Sevens player who I think played for the Brumbies too was killed after he was hit by a car a few months ago. Terrible loss of life :/

I dunno if he was hit by a car or was in a car crash, probably the latter. I don't its strange or bares any relation to Shawn Mackay's accident. South African roads are dangerous and we've had players die before on our roads before. Most notably Francois Swart & Etienne Botha.

Ah I see. I didn;t mean that they were linked in any way, I just found it strange that it just happened to be two sevens players in paticular in such a short space of time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Jun 12 2009, 02:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ah I see. I didn;t mean that they were linked in any way, I just found it strange that it just happened to be two sevens players in paticular in such a short space of time.[/b]

Really bad news really bad and sorry for that guy

Yeah, sad news.. but he can still play. You would be amazed at how talented some 'disabled' athletes can be. Losing an eye is obviously going to make a big impact, but unless he has poor vision in his remaining one, he would still be able to play.. it could be much much worse, he could be severely disabled. Is there a 'disabled' rugby world cup?

There used to be a one-eyed soccer player at my local club, Steve Portway. Absolute legend. He went on to score like 200+ goals in his time there playing with 50% vision.. yeah it wasn't the top division of soccer but if he had a disadvantage, it never really showed he just developed his game around 50% vision. In fact you could argue it helps, because having 2 eyes means you get two different viewpoints, whereas with one, you just get the one which might make you more accurate with the co-ordination.

Besides, if he has a glass eye.. no-one will be sure which way he's planning to run anyway!

*joke* don't kill me.

Very sad news, saw a few matches this year where he featured very well. The main thing is that it wasn't any worse, but it's sad to loose such a talent (and by the sounds of it, a nice guy) from the sport. I'm sure rugby would be a hard sport to play with only one eye, as his sense of depth would be seriously affected.

@ steyn: Yeh, watched that episode. He used a type of sonar to navigate, making clicking sounds like dolphins.

maybe he can be taught that in one eye but i think he has enough vision to see half of what 2 visions would be so he would have to be alot more aware since its kinda blacked out.

Sadly the guy ben underwood passed away the last few months :(

I don't believe it has to much to do with the roads or traffic in SA, you'll find most of these guys have accidents late at night after being out partying. Same thing happened with the Bulls star player Etienne Botha a few years back also Bob Skinstad coming back from a night out injured his knee which he never recovered from fully. Very sad, trust he recovers well.

Latest posts