Sad that archer plays for England

Umaga's Witness

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
west Indies could do with archer. Weakening a team that is struggling in tier one to strengthe one of the best teams in the world seems like a fail to me. I can sympathise with players thinking they have more opportunity to make another teams national side than their own, but that is not the case here.

Personal choice of course, and no doubt the moneys from the evil empire , I just would like to see West Indies more competitive.

Jofra Archer. 90 mph + fast bowler. Born Barbados, just become eligible for Eng following a rule change. In Eng World Cup squad and clouted Amla on the head a few hours ago forcing him to temporarily retire hurt.

Lot of good judges reckon he's a real X factor merchant.

English father and British passport, but agree with the thrust of UW's sentiments.

English father makes it OK for me, although there are a lot of "residency only" qualifications in cricket (as in rugby) that I'm not a fan of.

Would question whether WI are struggling at the top tier though? In tests, maybe - although England would probably say differently. But at limited overs they are strong, and purist though I am, we all know they're the formats of the future

English father makes it OK for me, although there are a lot of "residency only" qualifications in cricket (as in rugby) that I'm not a fan of.

Would question whether WI are struggling at the top tier though? In tests, maybe - although England would probably say differently. But at limited overs they are strong, and purist though I am, we all know they're the formats of the future

Well, they are still 8th in tests and ODIs, 9th in t20is in the rankings. But yeah maybe they are a bit better than they have been over the last 25 years, and even during that time they have occasionally been competitive.

I didn't realise they were that low to be fair. I don't follow cricket anything like as closely as I used to so I might be jumping to conclusions from minimal info...

There are more competitive teams in the ODI world nowadays, maybe that's colouring my impression a bit

I think for West Indies it's been a combination of political in fighting and lack of consistency within the team. They can play some great cricket, but also some absolute rubbish.

WI suffer from lack of Financial backing not cricketers.
The players in argument with WI board is huge .
Not a players personal preference.

There's a bit of received wisdom that it's also related to a generation of Caribbean youngsters choosing football and basketball over cricket, not sure exactly to what extent that's true? Several West Indians I've known have not been convinced that's true, it might just be something repeated by outsiders

Still an excellent 1 day side. I agree that I've been given the impression that one of the reasons they struggle is cricket no longer appears to be a major attraction. NBA, Athletics (well, Bolt) seems to have really hit the interest.
(Oh, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to spot the irony of a Kiwi questioning someone from a smaller/poorer country joining a larger/richer countries team o_O)

Latest posts