• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Saint André to step down

A

An Tarbh

Saint Andre to quit as Sale boss

Former French international Philippe Saint Andre has resigned from his director of rugby role at Sale Sharks.

Saint Andre, 41, who joined the club in May 2004, will officially stand down at the end of the current season.

At that point, ex-Wales captain and current head coach Kingsley Jones will be promoted to director of rugby at the Cheshire-based Premiership club.

Saint Andre, who has been linked with a return to France, said: "I am proud of the achievements of the team."

In a statement on the club's website, he added: "Coming top of the Guinness Premiership and then going on to win the Guinness Premiership Final against Leicester in 2005-06 was the highlight for me.

"But I am proud of all the teams I have managed over this period and have been privileged to have worked with great players and outstanding coaches and staff.

"I would especially like to thank the fans who have shown great kindness and loyalty to me and my family during my time at the club, and hope that I can repay this support with another trophy at the end of this season."

Sale chief executive James Jennings added: "Philippe's legacy provides the foundation for the club's future success and hopefully Edgeley Park will always remain a little bit of France. We will all be working hard to make Philippe's last season a successful one."

Saint Andre said Jones was the right man to take over his mantle, stating: "I brought Kingsley to the club in 2004 and like me he is passionate about the club and is determined to achieve success at Sale Sharks. I am certain that the future of the club is in safe hands."

Jones said he had a "clear plan" on how to take Sale further, which would involved further development of the club's academy.

BBC Sport

Very awkward time for him to quit. Sale just looked to become consistent... And we have a make-or-break Heineken game this Friday. :/
I hope this doesn't effect the team; though truth be told, I expected him to leave after this year...

Made no difference to Munster when Kidney announced his intentions to leave Munster and the fact that there aren't going to be major changes shouldn't affect the stability of the team or lead to a rush of players leaving come the end of the season.

But there will be a rugbh of players leaving at the end of the season anyway, Chabal & McAlister being 2 we already know about. Then if you think about all the top players in his squad who PSA just squandered and let slip away; Foden, Lund & Lobbe instantly spring to mind. (Quote of the year: "I'll eat my hat if Foden is ever a good scrum half").

hmmmmmm.jpg

I'm still adiment that Jim Mallender built that championship wining team and PSA just inherited it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 4 2008, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
But there will be a rugbh of players leaving at the end of the season anyway, Chabal & McAlister being 2 we already know about. Then if you think about all the top players in his squad who PSA just squandered and let slip away; Foden, Lund & Lobbe instantly spring to mind.[/b]
I know, because buying players won't cross the mind of Kingsley Jones.

Latest posts