• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Saints 1 - 0 Munster

B

Bullitt

Downey becomes latest Saint to sign again

http://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/3831_6379.php

In doing so, the 28-year-old Irishman becomes the seventh Saint to re-affirm his commitment to the club by putting pen to paper in recent weeks.

Downey has been the lynchpin of the first team midfield since he arrived in the summer of 2007 and so far he has made 73 appearances, scoring seven tries. A defensive leader, his two-and-a-half years at Franklin's Gardens have seen him develop other aspects of his game under the tutelage of the Saints coaches.

"I think I've come up a lot under Jim, Dorian and Paul and I've grown with all the players around me," he said. "They trust the players to make decisions on the field and with quick lads out wide we can get the ball out to them or keep it tight. A lot of the other guys have got better as well.

"You can always improve. This is only our second year back in the Premiership, and as the young lads get older we can only get better. We're playing big teams and that's where we want to be, winning some silverware."

A European Challenge Cup winner in 2009, Downey also won the Churchill Cup with Ireland 'A' later that summer, which he said was a bonus on what had happened at club level.

"We were playing a good brand of rugby last year," he added. "I was chuffed to bits when I got involved with the Churchill Cup. It was the last thing on my mind when I came here. I just wanted to play and still want to do my best for Northampton. I've been here longer than any other clubs, and I'm really settled here with all the lads. If I can do well and help the team it will be brilliant."

"Our outside backs have been receiving the headlines, but they cannot function if the guys like James don't do their work in midfield," said director of rugby Jim Mallinder. "James puts in plenty of hard yards in attack and defence, and has been one of the most consistent players in the squad since he joined us.

"He is a person who thrives on competition, and he has increased his performance level time and again to keep his place in the first team. He has improved a lot in his time here and I believe there is more to come, which is why I am delighted that James is staying with us."

-------------------------------------

And the back-line remains intact.

fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Not surprising, why would he want to go to Munster and become third choice 12? I thought it would be something like Howlett to Northampton but massive relief upon reading the thread!

Good for Saints though, hope they can keep building on what they have achieved in the last few seasons.

how is this northampton 1 -0 munster? if i recal munster beat northampton on the last occasion they met did they not ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lucky_number_7 @ Feb 5 2010, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
what exactly was dumb about it ?[/b]

I dunno, maybe that Munster didn't poach a Saints player as they were attempting... :rolleyes:

Was hardly a secret.

its only logical he didnt move ..the guy wants to play first team rugby something he wouldnt do with munster ....

On the "Saints 1- 0 Munster theme", these should also be added:

Saracens 1 -0 Saints
Worcester 1 -1 Saints
Bulls 1 - 0 Saints

and in Euan Murray's case:
God 1 - 0 Saints
;)

Well that's true. Not as if Munster would want ever use Irish backs...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Feb 5 2010, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Worcester 1 -1 Saints[/b]

I suspect that will end up being 2-0. Not sure which way just yet.

Nice try, with Howlett leaving we will have as many IQ back in our first team as Northampton have EQ.

Snoopy, LMFAO! :lol: :lol:

Really?
Saints English backs:
9. Dickson/Dickins/Brake
10. Myler/Geraghty
11. Ashton
12. Mayor/Anderson
13. Clarke
14. Diggin
15. Foden

Munster's Irish backs
9. O'Leary/Stringer
10. O'Gara
13. Earles
14. Tom from Father Ted (if you're pushing the boat out)
Errrrrr... Come on? Who else?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Feb 5 2010, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Felix Jones?
Have I said something stupid?[/b]
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ndsUZ6guWM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ndsUZ6guWM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
?
:huh:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Feb 5 2010, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Isn't he a Munster full back?[/b]

Yup, and he's scored some very nice tries in the Chuchill Cup and some warm up matches and A matches. But he got a very bad knock to the head or neck in a Magner's match and the silence of the Munster management is being taken as a sign that Jones will be injured indefinitely. Which is a shame.

Jones is class, real shame about the neck injury :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 5 2010, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Really?
Saints English backs:
9. Dickson
10. Myler/Geraghty
11. Reihana
12. Downey
13. Clarke
14. Ashton
15. Foden

Munster's Irish backs
9. O'Leary
10. O'Gara
11. Hurley
12. De Villiers
13. Earls
14. Johne Murphy
15. Warwick[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Feb 5 2010, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 5 2010, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really?
Saints English backs:
9. Dickson
10. Myler/Geraghty
11. Reihana
12. Downey
13. Clarke
14. Ashton
15. Foden

Munster's Irish backs
9. O'Leary
10. O'Gara
11. Hurley
12. De Villiers
13. Earls
14. Johne Murphy
15. Warwick[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Alright, I'll let you have that as I forgot about signing Murphy! But... No Mafi in the starting team?

Latest posts