Saints - Hull FC

Discussion in 'Super League / Northern Hemisphere' started by St Helens RLFC, Mar 7, 2008.

  1. Class, class game. We won 30-29 with a penalty from virtually the last kick of the game. Outstanding match. What a shame about the fighting going on in the away end. Never before at a rugby league game have I seen blood dripping down the steps out of Knowsley Road. Very sad.

    Hull FC + Idiot Saints kids = disaster
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

  3. Dear God, you're an emotive get. Blood? Seriously?

    As for the game, it was a truly brilliant game. Not at the time, because obviously I didn't know we were going to win, but it was exhilarating.
  4. Nope, there was a pool of blood making its way down the steps at the back of the away end. There had evidently been a lot of fighting going on.
  5. Bullitt

    Bullitt Guest

    Hmmm, this wasn't mentioned on Sky.

    In fact, last I heard was 28-29 when the DG went over.
  6. They wouldn't mention the crowd trouble mate. Although I am sure they will send Angela f***ing Powers over to conduct a test of the sample and use it as another nail in Knowsley Road's coffin. Bitch!

    St Helens 30-29 Hull [​IMG]

    St Helens: (22) 30
    Tries: Smith, Gardner, Talau, Eastmond, Roby
    Goals: Smith (5)

    Hull: (14) 29
    Tries: Dykes, Houghton, Washbrook, Hall, Yeaman
    Goals: Tickle (4)
    Drop: Dykes

    A late Matty Smith penalty gave St Helens a precious victory over injury-hit Hull FC.

    Saints seemed in control when they scored tries late in the first half through Willie Talau and Kyle Eastmond.

    But Hull battled back in the second half with tries from Craig Hall, Danny Washbrook and Kirk Yeaman.

    James Roby's try with five minutes to go levelled the match before an Adam Dykes drop goal looked to have won it for Hull before Smith's late score.

    Hull were dealt a blow before the game when Lee Radford was ruled out with a virus but they made a mockery of their lengthy casualty list when Dykes went over for a third-minute try.

    Four minutes later, hooker Danny Houghton went over and Danny Tickle converted both tries to give Peter Sharp's men a 12-0 advantage but St Helens soon responded.

    Matt Gidley sent Ade Gardner over for his 99th career try after 13 minutes and Smith added to his side's tally soon after with a try which he converted himself.


    A penalty from Tickle extended Hull's lead only for a kick from Paul Wellens to send Talau clear for St Helens' third try and then Wellens and Roby combined to send local talent Eastmond in.

    Hull began the second half strongly with replacement Hall seizing on a mistake by Leon Pryce and running 70 metres to cross the line.

    Washbrook capitalised on another error soon after to give his side the lead again and Yeaman, back from injury, grabbed his first try of the season but Tickle missed two of the three conversions.

    It proved costly as Roby touched down for a fifth try which Smith converted and although Dykes' late drop-goal encouraged hopes of a Hull victory, Smith ensured Saints claimed victory with his late penalty after the visitors were penalised for offside.

    St Helens coach Daniel Anderson (on Matty Smith)

    "I gave him a bit of rollicking because he didn't play enough footie for us in the second half but he kicked the ball extremely well and to kick a penalty in the last minute to win the game takes some doing.

    "He was prominent but I thought he was off the pace a little bit. It showed in his defence - he was indecisive and not very confident.

    "We can't be expected to score 30 points every week but we've come through without any injuries and Jon Wilkin, Chris Flannery and Maurie Fa'asavalu should all be back for Catalans next week."

    <LI>Hull coach Peter Sharp

    "It's bitterly disappointing but we'll get ready for Wakefield next week.

    "We should not have been in the position to have given away the penalty at the end.

    "We have come here, to a place where Hull doesn't win, and gone so close. To get no joy is hard to take and is bitterly disappointing."

    St Helens: Wellens, Gardner, Gidley, Talau, Meli, Pryce, Smith, Hargreaves, Cunningham, Graham, Gilmour, Clough, Roby.
    Replacements: Bennett, Tyrer, Eastmond, Frodsham. Hull: Tony, Sing, Byrne, Yeaman, Raynor, Washbrook, Dykes, Cusack, Houghton, King, G. Horne, Tickle, Lee.
    Replacements: Briscoe, Hall, Wheeldon, Burnett. Referee: R Silverwood (Dewsbury)
  8. Vambo

    Vambo Guest

    You spawny gits!

    How many of these do you have?

  9. Less than the amount of injuries we have!
Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!

Share This Page