Saints sign Exeter Chiefs centre Matt Cornwell

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
Northampton Saints have signed former Leicester Tigers centre Matt Cornwell from Exeter Chiefs.

The 25-year-old graduated from the Tigers academy and made 41 appearances before moving to Exeter in 2008.

"Plenty of players want to be at Northampton. I'm lucky to have the opportunity to prove myself there," said Cornwell.

"It's a forward thinking club and to get back with a Premiership outfit is an important thing for me."
<!-- E SF -->
He added: "I want to be involved as much as possible and to offer something on and off the pitch.

"I've enjoyed my time at Exeter and believe that playing in the Championship has been good for my development.

"As many people at the Saints know, it's a relentless league with some challenging sides and tough places to play.

"I've learned from the hard graft and want to put it into practice in the Premiership with the Saints."

Cornwell captained England Under-21s in the World Cup and the Leicester first team in an Anglo-Welsh Cup match at Franklin's Gardens in 2006/07.

Director of rugby Jim Mallinder says that Cornwell will be a useful addition to the Saints squad next season.

"Matt is still a young man but already has a lot of experience," said Mallinder.

"He is a powerful runner, a strong defender and someone who can bring the other players around him into the game with some intelligent play and good handling skills.

"He is also hungry to succeed in the top flight and this will be important as the players push each other for a place in the first team next season."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/northampton/8707025.stm

"I've learned from the hard graft and want to put it into practice in the Premiership with the Saints."

Wonder if he signed that before Exeter got promoted?

Normally with these things they do and don't announce anything until the season is up. I'll bet this was a done deal in February.

Latest posts