TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians

George_PisiGI_web_rdax_520x332.jpg

Northampton Saints today announced the signing of Samoan international George Pisi ahead of the 2011/12 season.

Pisi, a 24-year-old centre, joins the Saints after making a reputation as a fast, skilful and powerful player with Auckland-based Super Rugby outfit The Blues. After five years at North Harbour, Pisi impressed in the 2010 ITM Cup while playing for Taranaki.

Although regarded highly as a counter-attacking full back, Pisi finished the year as Samoa’s first choice outside centre, making his debut in the Pacific Nations Cup in June and starting against Ireland, England and Scotland during the Autumn Internationals.

Pisi will finish the 2010/11 season at Top 14 team Clermont Auvergne, where he has been drafted in as a medical joker for the final third of the French domestic season. But he is looking forward to joining the Saints full-time next season.

“It’s an awesome club,†he said. “I’ve admired the people who have been through it. It’s a great family club and it’s a great place for me to start my own family over there. I’ve been watching how the Saints have been going. They’ve been playing well and come along from last year and I feel that the team is building every year for higher honours.

“Playing against Chris Ashton and Ben Foden in the Autumn was awesome and it’ll be exciting to get the chance to play with them in England. Taranaki have been good to me and it’s hard to leave them, but it’s an opportunity for me to have a new life in Northampton with my fiancé Jessica.

“Hopefully playing at Clermont will be good for me. The more rugby I play the better I get, so when I come back for Taranaki, then hopefully the World Cup with Samoa, I’ll be able to hit the ground running when I get to Northampton.â€

Director of rugby Jim Mallinder says that Pisi is a good addition to the Saints squad.

“George has improved a lot over the past year or so and we were impressed with what we’ve seen of him playing for Samoa in the Autumn and Taranaki in the ITM Cup,†he said. “He’s a strong runner who likes to play with the ball in hand and although he played for Samoa at centre he is comfortable in a number of positions, which will be good for our squad as a whole.â€

http://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/news/7338.php

Thats a good signing George is a good player. He was ok when he first stepped on to the scene but now hes really improved a lot from what I saw in last years ITM cup. Im sure he wont let anyone down. He seemed to be a bit of a joker in the Blues and Auckland camps from what Ive heard.

I presume if he's a speedster that he'll be a straight replacement for Ansbro. Bizarre to sign a player we'll lose for the world cup though.

In what I've seen of him in France he can be a superb signing. Will need the time to settle though

With a name like Pisi I hope he has a short temper (provided its pronounced that way too, if not then scratch that last)

Saints signing a player with a short temper... They'd never do a thing like that *cough*

With a name like Pisi I hope he has a short temper (provided its pronounced that way too, if not then scratch that last)

Almost.. its pronounced "Pee-see". You could probably do something with that anyway.
Also i know you were just joking but he doesn't have a temper at all.. Hes probably one of the most relaxed players going around. It hampers his game a bit though, sometimes players need to get a little fired up but Pisi always seems like hes just having a good time.

Very good buy though.. hes a very similar player to Lefiemi Mafi on attack (without the brain explosions). A handy counterattacking fullback too.

Latest posts