• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Saints sign Shane Geraghty

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/3831_5631.php

Northampton Saints today announced that Shane Geraghty will be a part of their 2009/10 first team squad.

22-year-old Geraghty, who is equally comfortable at fly half, centre and full back, is regarded as one of the brightest young talents in English rugby. Although the Coventry-born player turned out for Ireland Under-16s he then chose England as his preferred country and he has worn the white shirt at all representative levels, including the Sevens, Saxons and full national team. He made his international debut against France in the 2007 Six Nations aged just 20 and made an immediate impact, setting up a try and kicking five points that helped England achieve a win. Geraghty’s most recent appearance was in the 2009 win over Italy.

Geraghty joined London Irish in 2004 and made his first team debut against Auch in the European Challenge Cup. He was a first team regular while still in the Exiles’ Academy and won the club’s Young Player of the Year and Supporters’ Player of the Year.

He has signed a two-year deal with the Saints.

“I am delighted to be taking up the new challenge that has been offered to me by Northampton Saints and to work with the coaching team who I know from my involvement with the England U21 team,†Geraghty said. “This opportunity will allow me to enjoy being part of the club’s future ambitions and also enable me to hopefully force my way back into the England team.

“I would also like to thank London Irish and in particular the coaching team and support staff and of course all the players and supporters for the opportunities that they have given me during my time at the club.â€

“Shane is an exciting, young, English talent and I am delighted that he has signed for us,†said Saints director of rugby Jim Mallinder. “Although he is still young he has played at all levels of the game, including England internationals and a Heineken Cup semi-final, as well as the Guinness Premiership.

“This experience, existing talent and potential to improve still further make Shane an excellent addition to our squad. We want players who can help Northampton Saints achieve our ambitions to become one of the top clubs in England and Europe over the next few years, and Shane is one such payer.â€[/b]

Yay etc.

Been coming for a while, but certainly adds an extra sparkle to our already promising backline.

good coup for saints, an adequate replacement for spencer to say the least. More bad news for the Exiles. This and not getting Warwick is gonna leave them in a spot of bother next year I'd think

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Apr 16 2009, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
*dances*[/b]
I notice that in the press release, it's mentioned that Geraghty is "equally comfortable at fly half, centre and full back". Has he been signed as a utility player? I'm guessing that Ben Foden is a nailed on certainty to be 1st choice fullback next season. Is Geraghty more likely to replace Myler or Downey in the starting XV?

Maybe you can spell his name right now Mite :p

I'd imagine he will replace Downey as Myler's goal kicking is not easily replaceable.

I'd imagine he won't replace neither Downey or Myler and used instead as a part of squad rotation. Myler offers so much more then just being a goal kicker (that beings Barry Everitts job) - You don't spend 3 years under the tutalage of Carlos Spencer and develop the one-dimensional play of O'Gara/Wilkinsons ilk - while Downey is a defensive rock who generals the backs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Apr 16 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'd imagine he won't replace neither Downey or Myler and used instead as a part of squad rotation. Myler offers so much more then just being a goal kicker (that beings Barry Everitts job) - You don't spend 3 years under the tutalage of Carlos Spencer and develop the one-dimensional play of O'Gara/Wilkinsons ilk - while Downey is a defensive rock who generals the backs.[/b]
I fully accept that all three (Downey, Myler and Geraghty) will get a lot of gametime. The way rugby has gone, you need a squad of 25+ players who can step in on any occasion. For that reason signing Geraghty, along with Dowson earlier this week, is a great addition. What I was trying to find out was if Northampton had a fully fit squad entering a one off game like a cup final, what 10/12 combination would they be more likely to pick?

Knowing Mallender, form would be a bigger factor then "the better player"... For example, Courtney Lawes has demoted Lobbe to the bench on several occasions. Or even better, Spencer only managed a couple of starts because of Mylers irisistable form both with the boot and in open play.

A 50/50 split between Geraghty and Myler wouldn't be a bad choice IMO.

Some great signings for saints next season. If i had to recommend a player, i'd say Uale Mai of Samoa 7's. He is trying to get a club in Europe next season.

would much rather bath took him instead of barkley /sigh. but what can you do

Toby Booths interview on ITVs Premiership programme was interesting viewing, it certainly make me wonder if there's more then just "more money/get out of Catts shadow" on Geraghtys mind.

Speaking of the ITV premiership program, when was the last time you saw more ridiculous Yellow Card than the one Danaher got? Probably the one Kearney got in Twickenham against Wasps in January.

Good signing for the Saints, not the best defensively but a quality play-maker. Certainly a 10 in my mind as he lacks the physical edge to be international class at 12.

Latest posts