Saints sign Shane Geraghty

Discussion in 'Aviva Premiership / LV Cup' started by snoopy snoopy dog dog, Apr 16, 2009.

1. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Yay etc.

Been coming for a while, but certainly adds an extra sparkle to our already promising backline.

4. feicarsinn

feicarsinn Guest

good coup for saints, an adequate replacement for spencer to say the least. More bad news for the Exiles. This and not getting Warwick is gonna leave them in a spot of bother next year I'd think

5. Hall

Hall Guest

My Irish supporting mate is going to be mortified.

6. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

*dances*

7. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Apr 16 2009, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I notice that in the press release, it's mentioned that Geraghty is "equally comfortable at fly half, centre and full back". Has he been signed as a utility player? I'm guessing that Ben Foden is a nailed on certainty to be 1st choice fullback next season. Is Geraghty more likely to replace Myler or Downey in the starting XV?

8. MunsterMan

MunsterMan Guest

Maybe you can spell his name right now Mite :p

I'd imagine he will replace Downey as Myler's goal kicking is not easily replaceable.

9. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

I'd imagine he won't replace neither Downey or Myler and used instead as a part of squad rotation. Myler offers so much more then just being a goal kicker (that beings Barry Everitts job) - You don't spend 3 years under the tutalage of Carlos Spencer and develop the one-dimensional play of O'Gara/Wilkinsons ilk - while Downey is a defensive rock who generals the backs.

10. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Apr 16 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I fully accept that all three (Downey, Myler and Geraghty) will get a lot of gametime. The way rugby has gone, you need a squad of 25+ players who can step in on any occasion. For that reason signing Geraghty, along with Dowson earlier this week, is a great addition. What I was trying to find out was if Northampton had a fully fit squad entering a one off game like a cup final, what 10/12 combination would they be more likely to pick?

11. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

Knowing Mallender, form would be a bigger factor then "the better player"... For example, Courtney Lawes has demoted Lobbe to the bench on several occasions. Or even better, Spencer only managed a couple of starts because of Mylers irisistable form both with the boot and in open play.

A 50/50 split between Geraghty and Myler wouldn't be a bad choice IMO.

12. Fa'atau82

Fa'atau82 Guest

Some great signings for saints next season. If i had to recommend a player, i'd say Uale Mai of Samoa 7's. He is trying to get a club in Europe next season.

13. would much rather bath took him instead of barkley /sigh. but what can you do

14. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

Toby Booths interview on ITVs Premiership programme was interesting viewing, it certainly make me wonder if there's more then just "more money/get out of Catts shadow" on Geraghtys mind.

15. MunsterMan

MunsterMan Guest

Speaking of the ITV premiership program, when was the last time you saw more ridiculous Yellow Card than the one Danaher got? Probably the one Kearney got in Twickenham against Wasps in January.

16. glosbigboy

glosbigboy Guest

Good signing for the Saints, not the best defensively but a quality play-maker. Certainly a 10 in my mind as he lacks the physical edge to be international class at 12.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!