• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Saints snap up Vickerman

C

Cymro

Northampton Saints have bolstered the pack with the signing of former Wallaby and Waratahs lock Dan Vickerman on a one-year deal.

Vickerman seemed to have turned his back on professional rugby to concentrate on his studies having left the Waratahs following the 2008 Super 14 final to read land economy at Cambridge University.

But the 29-year-old, who played for the Light Blues in the 2008 Varsity match, will now combine his academic commitments with playing and training at the Saints

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12331_5348560,00.html

Strange signing, the second row is the one place in Saints' whole squad that doesn't really need any more improvement. Not entirely sure what Vickerman offers that's not in the squad anyway.

Other than his experience playing for his national team? Experience that only Nacho Lobbe, in the Saints second row, has currently?

I like what Saints are doing in the transfer market. Dowson, Mujati, Bonorino and Vickerman will make competition for an already impressive pack even more intense. Geraghty gives their half backs and centres a sorely missing creative player. Saints will challenge strongly for a top 4 spot in the Premiership next year.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ May 26 2009, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Geraghty gives their half backs and centres a sorely missing creative player.[/b]

I think that's a bit unfair on the likes of Myler and Clarke. I agree our inside backs could do with more competition and Geraghty offers sheer pace others may lack, but there is plenty of creativity. Hopefully this is the sort of signing that can see our combative pack continuing to win good ball.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Schweinsteiger_Webby @ May 26 2009, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think that's a bit unfair on the likes of Myler and Clarke. I agree our inside backs could do with more competition and Geraghty offers sheer pace others may lack, but there is plenty of creativity. Hopefully this is the sort of signing that can see our combative pack continuing to win good ball.[/b]
I suppose what I was trying to say is that for Saints to challenge with the top teams in Europe, they need more of a spark from their centres and halfbacks. As you say, there's not a whole lot wrong with the players currently in those positions but realistically Northampton won't truely be a top team until they have more talented options there. Myler, Clarke, Downey, Ansbro et al are excellent squad players though and won't let Northampton down.

Myler and Ansbro are destined for far much more the "decent squad players". Wait and see.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ May 27 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Myler and Ansbro are destined for far much more the "decent squad players". Wait and see.[/b]
Ansbro quite possibly will become a top player (whenever I've seen him he always sparks things when he has the ball) but I remain unconvinced by Myler's ability to progress too much more as a player. He tends to sit too deep in the pocket when put under pressure (much like Ronan O'Gara) and it has a negatively affects those outside him. Having said that, I've only seen 3 or 4 games which he's played in so it may just have been a few bad performances which I saw.

Myler had a dip in form literally as the media started blowing smoke up his arse pre-scarlets in the EDF. However, since he's found his run again he's been putting litterally every opposition ten he's played against to shame. He's got possibly the best pass of any un-capped 10 in world rugby, blistering pace, good vision, a superb tackler and a normally-reliable boot... The only reason Cipriani has ANY caps instead is because of classic RFU bias.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ May 27 2009, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Myler had a dip in form literally as the media started blowing smoke up his arse pre-scarlets in the EDF. However, since he's found his run again he's been putting litterally every opposition ten he's played against to shame. He's got possibly the best pass of any un-capped 10 in world rugby, blistering pace, good vision, a superb tackler and a normally-reliable boot... The only reason Cipriani has ANY caps instead is because of classic RFU bias.[/b]
Myler's an ex-League player isn't he? What happened the other former diet rugby player in the squad Chris Ashton? He was scoring tries for fun in Division 1 but disappered in the Premiership. Admittedly Diggin, Reihana and Foden is a formidible trio to try break up but it seems like a massive fall from grace for Ashton.

Myler is indeed ex-league; Of the 'Myler' family no less - Leagues answer to the Quinnells.

As for Ashton, he just wasn't getting selected over the past few months. Still finished the ECC as top try scored for the whole thing (at Christmas he was 5th top try scored O/A in Europe). Rumour had it he was off back to Wigan around Easter time, but that's since gone quiet. I imagine he'll feature more next year as Reihana begins to take a back seat.

I think blistering pace is something of an overstatement - Myler is deceptively quick but little more than that. He's a swifter version of Grayson; whenever he makes a break he glides through rather than really outpacing men. It's his vision and boot which are and will continue to be his real strong points.

He was acting as support runner to Ashton earlier this season with both running at full tilt - ASBO wasn't barely getting away from him. I think a lot of people are surprised just how quick he is.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ May 26 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Strange signing, the second row is the one place in Saints' whole squad that doesn't really need any more improvement. Not entirely sure what Vickerman offers that's not in the squad anyway.[/b]

I think he had the most line-out steals in the 2008 S14, topping Matfield. He is one of the best jumpers in the world and isn't bad around the park.

Latest posts