• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Salary Cap Investigations

How many Saracens players actually live in London?

And isn't London expensive because it's desirable?
Well that and people buying investment properties. Either way these people aren't earning salaraies where the extra cost of living is required to make ends meat. In fact they are quite significantly above that.

Chris Ashton said:
The investment was completely separate to the rugby for me, Nigel was never involved in any negotiations of contracts or anything like that. I saw Nigel as a businessman outside of rugby that I went to see to get a loan, like I would from the bank.

It was completely separate to my contract. Nigel likes property, he invests in property. He came along to the house to see it with me, we had a look round and he gave some thoughts on what we could do.

I can completely understand why people are annoyed about it because it is a benefit that you don't get at other clubs. Now I do understand. I do see it. At the time, I didn't."

Oh Chris.....

It's a position that England have depth, do feel if it wasn't the 2 clubs involved it might have gone through.

Lol indeed.

The cap can always go back up, rather keep the league competitive and a bit more sustainable than the plaything for sugar daddies.

Bit of a kick in the slats isn't it though if you've been building a team for next season around the current cap, to then have the goalposts moved.

Edit: Just read it's from the season after, fair enough.

https://www.rugbyworld.com/news/premiership-rugby-agree-salary-cap-cut-110583#:~:text=All 13 clubs in PRL,minimum of £6.4m.

"All 13 clubs in PRL – Premiership Rugby's administrative arm – have unanimously agreed to cut the league's salary cap by £1.4m"

"For any existing contracts that continue into the 2021-22 salary year, and beyond, their cap cost will be counted at 75% of their overall actual value, to sensibly manage the transition to new cap levels."

Last edited:
So if someone is on 100k it only counts 75k towards the cap but when they renew its back to 100k(assuming they stayed on the same)

Could cause issues on renewal, on 100k but renewing at 100k means we are ovet the cap...will be some unhappy players.

Latest posts