• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sale appoint new academy manager

tinchy17

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Saracens
Sale Sharks have appointed Ray Unsworth as their new manager of their academy squad.

"Sale Sharks are delighted to announce the appointment of RAY UNSWORTH as Academy Manager. Ray joins Sale Sharks after many successful years in Rugby League and leaves his post as Player and Coach Development Manager at Wigan RLFC to take up his new appointment.

Ray was formerly the Director of Coaching for the Rugby Football League between 1998 â€" 2007 and was involved at Wigan RLFC during their all conquering days in the late eighties and early nineties. He has also coached the GB Academy for three years in the late nineties and coached the GB Armed Forces team that won the World Cup in 2008.

Ray has co-written many books on rugby skills development and has also done work with the Rugby Football Union and Worcester University RFC in recent years.

Director of Rugby Kingsley Jones said, “ Ray’s appointment is outstanding news for the club. We interviewed many quality applicants but Ray impressed us most and I am delighted that he agreed to join Sale Sharks. Ray’s knowledge of rugby is excellent and he will bring a level of planning, implementing and monitoring of player development structures. Ray will work closely with the community game across the north west to ensure the very best young players are developed to the best of their ability.

The Academy is the life blood of the club and we need a production line of talented players progressing through to first team level and being able to compete week in week out. This is absolutely critical to the long term success of the club. I am looking forward to working closely with Ray and am sure everyone at the club will be able to gain knowledge from his experience in developing highly talented young rugby players.â€

Hopefully he does well in his new role after his switch from rugby league.

That's the second Wigan man they've had this week :p
Good luck to him, the Academy was treated badly last season (imo) - i think only three players were offered contracts, one of whom is the owners son

That's the second Wigan man they've had this week :p
Good luck to him, the Academy was treated badly last season (imo) - i think only three players were offered contracts, one of whom is the owners son

Didn't they sign a player from Wigan?

Sale will be signing the entire Wales' RL squad next... Are they changing their name to "Warriors" and moving to the JJB, or will Wigan be playing at Edgeley Park?

Funnily enough, there are rumours afoot that Sale will play a match in the JJB next season :lol:
It's either going to be the JJB or whatever-the-name-is-of-the Manchester City stadium

Funnily enough, there are rumours afoot that Sale will play a match in the JJB next season :lol:
It's either going to be the JJB or whatever-the-name-is-of-the Manchester City stadium

Do you mean the City of Manchester Stadium?

Latest posts